Reload this Page >

Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 12-09-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems we only had two last year. I haven't heard much recently. Just curious if anyone else heard any rumors.
Old 12-10-07, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i heard rumors of transmet.....but don't qoute me on that one. maybe it's just wishfull thinking on my part.

i wish the starman's was an Absolutes insted of that stupid newsprint paper omnabuis they are doing. Starman deserves better!!!!
Old 12-10-07, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope these stop coming out. I hate these. They take all my money
Old 12-10-07, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Starman omni's are going to be on newsprint? Like Veritgo trades? That's cool, they should be cheap then.
Old 12-10-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure what it is exactly, but I've heard something about an Ex Machina Special Edition of some sort.

I'm assuming there will be a Justice collection too.
Old 12-10-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
The Starman omni's are going to be on newsprint? Like Veritgo trades? That's cool, they should be cheap then.
I've found that the DC trades on newsprint are roughly the same price as Marvel trades on good paper with the same volume of content. The main reason they go for the newsprint is the coloring - if they're sticklers for color and they want to keep the original colors, they have to go with newsprint since the same colors would look drastically different on glossy paper. And if they recolor it for new paper stock, it would be a lot of work with little guarantee of it looking the same.
Old 12-10-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The Starman Omnibus (Omnibi?) will be printed on high-quality paper according to this article:
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=137087

6.75" X 10.25" - is that the same size as the Marvel Oversized books?

The only Absolute Editions that I know is coming is WILDC.A.T.S. (the Jim Lee issues)
Old 12-10-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
With the rise of Omni's, the Absolutes have lost luster with me. I did have have Hush & New Frontier, but lost interest in the format. They are amazing, but that price tag...

Maybe if there were consistency. Hush is $50, DKR is $100. And Hush was the only one under $75
Old 12-10-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i actually like the absolutes better than the omniboo.
Old 12-10-07, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
it's worse then the paper they use for trade paperbacks.
i'm taking old school newspaper

check out the death and return of superman one that they put out a few months ago......it fucking sucks and not worth the money
Old 12-10-07, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by sinned
The Starman Omnibus (Omnibi?) will be printed on high-quality paper according to this article:
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=137087

6.75" X 10.25" - is that the same size as the Marvel Oversized books?

The only Absolute Editions that I know is coming is WILDC.A.T.S. (the Jim Lee issues)
well, i hope they are put on better paper, cause the 2 they have done so far is on the crappy paper.

and wildcats huh?
thats cool. one of the most underrated series. alot of great writers on that book.....james robinson, joe casey, alan moore......
Old 12-10-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
With the rise of Omni's, the Absolutes have lost luster with me. I did have have Hush & New Frontier, but lost interest in the format. They are amazing, but that price tag...

Maybe if there were consistency. Hush is $50, DKR is $100. And Hush was the only one under $75
Oh I prefer Omni's to Absolutes too, just because you get more for your money. My Alias Omnibus is one of my most cherished HC's. I love having large chunks of a series in one book.

The Absolutes are great for those special titles though, something New Frontier is tailor made for. Jim Lee's Wildcats? Yeah, not so much.

If I had to choose, I would definitely be all about the Omnibuses done in the slightly oversized style of the Alias one. That's the format I now want stuff like Planetary and Authority in, instead of reprints of their absolutes. Not to mention omnibuses are easier to handle.
Old 12-10-07, 07:37 PM

http://savagecritic.com/2007/12/beac...dcs.html<br />

Absolute Sandman Vol 3 (May 2008)
Absolute League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier (June 2008)

Jack Kirby's OMAC (Omnibus-style, May 2008)

It's also been leaked that the Spirit Archives are going to run to 26 volumes, and include the daily strips by Eisner, Jack Cole and Lou Fine.
Old 12-10-07, 10:48 PM

Looks like Sandman is getting fast tracked. I wonder if that means anything. Not sure there is a point to Black Dossier getting an Absolute. I flipped through it and it looked like a lot of text. Should have just made it that way first.
Old 12-11-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to see the next Sandman will be out soon, the year in between the first and second was too long. Hopefully Vol. 4 is out in the Fall...
Old 12-11-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Y The Last Man Omnibus?
Old 12-11-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would think they would have to split that into two volumes. I have the B&N Ultimate Spidey massive book, that has 50 issues of that in it, and I cannot immagine them squeezing anther ten issues in that thing.
Old 12-12-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cathepsin
http://savagecritic.com/2007/12/beac...dcs.html<br />

Absolute Sandman Vol 3 (May 2008)
Absolute League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier (June 2008)

Jack Kirby's OMAC (Omnibus-style, May 2008)

It's also been leaked that the Spirit Archives are going to run to 26 volumes, and include the daily strips by Eisner, Jack Cole and Lou Fine.
for some reason, i thought Black Dossier was canceled as Alan Moore went on another one of his rampages against DC. but, it looks like it's still on.

--
great news on Sandman.
Old 12-13-07, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by young
for some reason, i thought Black Dossier was canceled as Alan Moore went on another one of his rampages against DC. but, it looks like it's still on.
Black Dossier has been out for a couple of weeks in a standard HC. There was another Moore rampage, so this will be his last LOEG work at DC; future books will be published by Top Shelf, I think.
Old 12-17-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Latest Previews solicits just came out..... Starman Omnibus Vol.1 will be reprinting issues 0-16 (1994-1996), 448 pages for $49.99
The book will be on sale May 21 and will be regular sized
Old 12-17-08, 08:47 AM

Thought I'd bump this old thread I started last year for the hat trick since I've been active in the Marvel Omnibus thread and started the new Walking Dead Omni thread.

Oh . . . And we definitely got more Absolutes in '08 than '07.

So in case anyone missed it . . .

Black Dossier is out I guess. Haven't seen one. Don't care since I only buy the DC or Vertigo Absolutes.

Ronin is out as of late summer. Barely had time to flip through mine and place it on the shelf before I headed back to China.

Sandman is completed. Death is now an '09 Absolute with the announced DC Omnibus cancelled. Not sure if there will be more material in this or not.

Superman: For Tomorrow was solicited last month for Feb. '09. Bah . . . why bother. It was out of continuity by the time it was finished being published. And probably double out of continuity at this point. Oh yeah . . . Jim Lee means $$ . . .

V For Vendetta solicited for March this week. Seems a little late. I was surprised they didn't have one when the movie came out in '05 and bought the small HC.

I've seen nothing more on WildC.A.T.S..

I guess rumors of Dark Victory and Superman For All Seasons are floating around for '09. Those two I can get excited about.
Old 12-17-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Actually, Superman For Tomorrow is in continuity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superma...row#Continuity

But I really enjoyed the story, as something a little different, and already have it on order.
Old 12-17-08, 09:37 AM

interesting. I'd heard otherwise around the time it was ending even. I just thought it was a huge mess of a story when I read the two volumes.
Old 01-27-09, 10:06 AM

Re: Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

Some of you might be interested. I haven't read it, although I am sure it's stellar. I don't want to collect (or spend the money) on any non DC/Vertigo Absolutes.

ABSOLUTE PROMETHEA VOL. 1 HC
Written by Alan Moore
Art by J.H. Williams III & Mick Gray
Cover by J.H. Williams III

ABC. Alan Moore’s entrancing masterpiece is collected for the first time in oversized, Absolute format featuring the spectacular art of J.H. Williams III. The first of three ABSOLUTE PROMETHEA slipcased collections, this volume collects PROMETHEA #1-12! Discover the stories that introduced Sophie Bangs, an ordinary college student in a weirdly futuristic New York, whose life will be changed by her research into the mythical warrior woman known as Promethea!
Advance-solicited; on sale September 30 • 8.25” x 12.5”, 328 pg, FC, $99 US
Old 01-27-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

That Absolute Promethea is a huge dissapointment. Top Ten is the perfect book deserving of the absolute treamtent for Ha's insanely detailed art.

Also would have much rather seen them finally put out a second Planetary volume or even Tom Strong over Promethea.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.