Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

Old 08-06-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

I guess the GL rebirth absolute is coming...this is the first I've seen of anything official though..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...pf_rd_i=507846
Old 08-07-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dug Rebirth, but that seems like a weird one to get the Absolute treatment.
Old 08-07-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
I dug Rebirth, but that seems like a weird one to get the Absolute treatment.
I agree but maybe it's the start of the movie tie ins? Or maybe it's just Geoff Johns' turn at the format?

Still wish All Star Supes of Dark Victory would get announced.
Old 08-23-09, 08:42 AM

ABSOLUTE GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH HC
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Ethan Van Sciver, Darwyn Cooke, Prentis Rollins, Marlo Alquiza and Mick Gray
Cover by Ethan Van Sciver
In 2004, writer Geoff Johns and artist Ethan Van Sciver the team behind the current blockbuster THE FLASH: REBIRTH restored Hal Jordan to his place as the greatest Green Lantern of all with the best-selling miniseries GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH! Now, DC Comics is pleased to present this perennial favorite in the slipcased, Absolute format.
Follow Hal Jordan on his journey from fearless test pilot to Super Hero, from villain to the spirit of vengeance, and finally, returning to his true calling as Green Lantern of Space Sector 2814. This amazing Absolute edition includes GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH #1-6, GREEN LANTERN #1, the preview story from Wizard Magazine and a tale from GREEN LANTERN SECRET FILES 2005 featuring spectacular artwork by Darwyn Cooke.
Advance-solicited; on sale April 21 • 8.25 x 12.5 , 224 pg, FC, $75.00 US
Old 08-25-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ouch, 75 bucks for 224 pgs? I realize it's not all about the page count, and I really enjoyed Rebirth, but they couldn't have packed in a few more issues of GL?
Old 08-25-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up an Absolute Sandman Vol 1 in nearly brand new condition the other day via a library sale for a whopping 75 cents. Had no slipcover though. Any idea where I can get a replacement?
Old 10-04-09, 11:27 AM

Well, I'll obviously be getting Absolute Green Lantern: Rebirth. I wonder if they ever considered combining it with Green Lantern Corp: Recharge for a larger Absolute volume?

I'm not sure about Absolute Justice. I will say that it would be a great piece to show to people that aren't typically exposed to comics.
Old 10-04-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody think there is a chance for an Absolute Hitman? The trades don't complete the series so i'm hesitant to bother with having to get them and the rest of issues as singles.
Old 10-04-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The reason they didn't complete the Hitman trades is because they didn't sell very well. Absolutes are for stuff that sells very well and are pretty much a sure thing. So there's basically no chance of a Hitman Absolute - though I'd say that there's a small chance they may finish up with the regular trades.
Old 10-04-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Geez, well I hope they at least finish up the trades
Old 10-07-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A year or so ago, I remember reading that DC was going to finish up the Hitman TPBs. They recently reissued the first one, so that seems like a positive sign.
Old 10-09-09, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Ouch, 75 bucks for 224 pgs? I realize it's not all about the page count, and I really enjoyed Rebirth, but they couldn't have packed in a few more issues of GL?
For comparison, the trade paperback is 176 pages, which contains GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH #1-6.

In addition to GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH #1-6, the Absolute will also have GREEN LANTERN #1, the preview story from Wizard Magazine and a tale from GREEN LANTERN SECRET FILES 2005 featuring spectacular artwork by Darwyn Cooke. And discounted at places like Amazon where it's $47.25 right now, I'm all over it. If you really want a rip-off, check out the horrible Absolute League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier which was $100 bucks and had ZERO extras.
Old 10-09-09, 11:12 PM

Is there any chance of an Absolute Preacher or Hellblazer?
Old 10-09-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by heavy liquid View Post
For comparison, the trade paperback is 176 pages, which contains GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH #1-6.

In addition to GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH #1-6, the Absolute will also have GREEN LANTERN #1, the preview story from Wizard Magazine and a tale from GREEN LANTERN SECRET FILES 2005 featuring spectacular artwork by Darwyn Cooke. And discounted at places like Amazon where it's $47.25 right now, I'm all over it. If you really want a rip-off, check out the horrible Absolute League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier which was $100 bucks and had ZERO extras.
it was 37.50 at DCBS last month as well
Old 10-10-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mlemmond View Post
Who knows, Preacher just started coming out in regular hardcover a few months ago.
Old 10-11-09, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mlemmond View Post
I could see them doing PREACHER. After Sandman, it's Vertigo's second biggest hit.

I don't really see them doing HELLBLAZER any time soon. Took DC forever to reprint more of Delano's run, and they have yet to reprint any of Jenkins' run in TPBs, so doing anything like a complete HELLBLAZER run seems like a remote possibility. The only thing I could see would be an Absolute of the Ennis run, and even that seems like a remote possibility.

Other Vertigo books that might qualify for Absolute treatment after PREACHER would be Moore's SWAMP THING, Morrison's ANIMAL MAN, DOOM PATROL, and INVISIBLES, and maybe Ennis' TRANSMETROPOLITAN.

But, again, it seems kind of remote that they would commit resources into producing multi-volume Absolute editions of other titles that have inconsistent art teams, or are B-list. (Granted, SANDMAN has inconsistent art, but it's one of Vertigo's best-selling graphic novels, so it's pretty much a given.)
Old 10-13-09, 07:54 AM

I don't see them doing PREACHER or SWAMP THING Absolutes, what with the new hardcovers that just came out this year. I'd love to be proven wrong with both, however. Neither hardcover is oversized, and Swamp Thing especially would benefit from being recolored and printed on something other than newsprint. Shame.
Old 10-13-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see them doing PREACHER or SWAMP THING Absolutes, what with the new hardcovers that just came out this year. I'd love to be proven wrong with both, however. Neither hardcover is oversized, and Swamp Thing especially would benefit from being recolored and printed on something other than newsprint. Shame.
Thats what I was saying. Since they just started producing hardcovers, and with how slow Vertigo puts out stuff, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-13-09, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Thats what I was saying. Since they just started producing hardcovers, and with how slow Vertigo puts out stuff, I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly. Another Absolute I'd love to have Y: The Last Man, but that too is being released in new Deluxe hardcovers. They could have easily split it up into 3 Absolutes of 20 issues each + extras. I can dream...
Old 10-13-09, 07:51 PM

Here is a Rich Johnston column today on current OOP prices on Absolutes (and Marvel Omnibuses)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/10/...shelf-of-gold/
Old 10-19-09, 11:20 AM

What no one wants an Absolute Lobo or Demon?
Old 10-19-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of the Absolutes have previously been released in hardcover format: Sandman (in two different editions), Promethea, Planetary, and V for Vendetta. And Watchmen got a standard-sized hardcover release after the Absolute came out.

The stuff that is favored for Absolute editions is the kind of material that DC can sell across multiple formats. So having Preacher and Swamp Thing hardcovers being released now doesn't make Absolutes in the future any less likely.

Don't know what to think about the Y The Last Man, though. The hardcovers that they're putting out now are oversized and on nice paper, so they're almost like Absolutes. The Swamp Thing HC that I saw was really disappointing; almost looked like a TPB rebound into a HC.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing things like Invisibles, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Transmetropolitan get released in the Y The Last Man HC format. It's a decent compromise between a standard hardcover and the Absolute format.
Old 10-19-09, 06:43 PM

Anyone pick up the Absolute Death yet? I saw it at my local comic book store last week, but I already have all of the content and I'm not sure if the upgrade it worth it for me on this item. But, the cover looks great.

I just picked up Absolute DC: New Frontier this week on Ebay for about $40. It is amazing, it is now rivaling my Absolute Sandmans for my top stop.
Old 10-21-09, 11:30 AM

Absolute Promethea review.

Might interest some of you guys.

My Absolute Death is in the next DCBS order.
Old 10-28-09, 05:37 PM
Banned

It'll be interesting to see how the last issue of Promethea is handled in the Absolute format, as I can't think of a way it could be formatted and still be readable and comprehensible.

As for an Absolute Preacher, I seriously doubt it. The TP's have never been among the top sellers even for Vertigo, let alone overall in the TP format and much of the buzz around the comic stems form the endless and never come to fruition promises about a movie or tv series.

That being siad, I'm looking to unload my Absolute LOEG Vols 1 & 2.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.