DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Unread treasures? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/510215-unread-treasures.html)

calhoun07 08-26-07 09:51 PM

Unread treasures?

Have you ever found unread comics in your collection you may have forgotten you had but they are actually comics that are valuable and could be even more so if you got the book CGC graded?

My recent personal collection find are the first three issues of the Marvel run on Transformers. I haven't had them CGC graded yet, but plan to. I guarantee you they are unread, and bagged almost as fast as they came into my collection. I will be interested to see how they get graded.

Trevor 08-27-07 06:20 AM

I'll die before I CGC anything. Comics were made to be read, not encased in plastic.

I'm sure I have lots of unread treasures. I tend to buy in bulk, and hope to uncover lots of gems as I wade thru my longboxes over the coming years.

madcougar 08-27-07 08:18 AM

This may not be exactly what you're asking, but I purchased a couple of copies of Ultimate Spider-Man No. 1 years ago off the shelf. Funny thing is that I don't remember buying two. I only remember I didn't care for the title and didn't bother with issue No. 2. A few years ago, I was trying to get rid of stuff and found out that they were selling for about $100 a piece on eBay. Some guy in Australia bought them both for about $200.

I also parted with my copies of 300 last year after the movie came out. I got almost $100 for them. I really hated to part with those however.

Trevor 08-27-07 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by madcougar
I also parted with my copies of 300 last year after the movie came out. I got almost $100 for them. I really hated to part with those however.

I should have done the same perhaps. We can buy the trade for $15 or so.

Graftenberg 08-27-07 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I guarantee you they are unread, and bagged almost as fast as they came into my collection.

:hairpull:

calhoun07 08-27-07 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Graftenberg
:hairpull:

What can I say? I was a Star Wars kid. Transformers didn't interest me too much...I like it better now that I am older but at the time things like He Man and Transformers couldn't hold a match to my silver screen science fiction adventure friends.

calhoun07 08-27-07 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll die before I CGC anything.

I pretty much agree with the statement, but if you are going to sell something off (such as the guy who posted they sold Ultimate Spider Man #1) and you know it commands a good value, then by all means I would CGC it. You can increase the money you get pretty fast, and there are fools out there who will drop hundreds of dollars to get a plastic case which basically only serves to display the comic book art.

Might as well cash in on it before people realize what a stupid system it is.