Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Dark Horse getting into GIANT B&W collections w/Conan

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dark Horse getting into GIANT B&W collections w/Conan

Being a junkie for Marvel Essentials and DC Showcase Presents books, I am really happy to read that Dark Horse is getting on the bandwagon and have planned a huge 542 page, black and white collection of the Savage Sword of Conan this December!

Here's the info from Dark Horse's website:
In the mid 1970s following the colossal success of Conan the Barbarian, Roy Thomas helped expand the universe of Conan to showcase further stories and the talents of some of the comics industry's best with the equally popular Savage Sword of Conan magazine. Now, for the first time in over thirty years, these primal tales, featuring Robert E. Howard's most popular character, are available in this, the first in a series of massive trade paperbacks, collecting all Savage Sword Conan stories beginning with issue one.

Included in this volume are tales by Roy Thomas, featuring the breathtaking art of such legends as Barry Windsor-Smith, John Buscema, Alfredo Alcala, Jim Starlin, Al Milgrom, Pablo Marcos, Walter Simonson, and more.

But that's not all. Also included in this tome are Conan's few appearances in the title Savage Tales--for the complete Conan collection!

* Reprinting Savage Sword of Conan for the first time since its original publication. This is the first volume in the series.

* Launching Dark Horse's black-and-white Dark Horse Presents omnibus format. 500+ pages for the value price of $17.95!!!

So it sounds like they're planning on doing more of these style books. Any other Dark Horse stuff you would like to see reprinted in giant economy volumes?

Old 09-05-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bummer it's not hardcover. I'd read the heck out of them!
Old 09-06-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
How big are the Aliens Omnibus books that were solicited recently?
Old 09-06-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
How big are the Aliens Omnibus books that were solicited recently?
I got the Aliens/Predator Omnibus for my son and it is a small sized book. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but it isn't the size of a comic book or regular trade.

I'd love for Savage Sword reprints to be magazine sized.
Old 09-06-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They are about 9x6 sized books. As for the "essential" Dark Horse, I'd love to see some B/W Hellboy and maybe DHP.
Old 09-06-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
The Dark Horse Omnibuses (Aliens, Star Wars, Buffy, etc) are about 6" x 9".
Old 09-06-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how many of these will get better treatments later (full color-not that Savage Sword of Conan would need that, but on the other titles-and maybe hardcover or a more deluxe format). I bought many of the black and white reprints of the Marvel Star Wars comics when they came out only to have them reprint the entire series in order from issue one on in full color.
Old 09-07-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think the Conan Omnibus that was solicited is bigger than their traditional 6" x 9". I hope that they use the same paper that they used for the Casper omnibus, it may have been black and white but the paper quality was good (unlike the Showcase and Essential collections)
Old 09-07-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
So this will be somewhat different content from the Chronicles of Conan TPBs? I love those.