DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Getting back into the game again....After 4 years.. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/509735-getting-back-into-game-again-after-4-years.html)

TylerDurden_73 08-21-07 05:21 AM

Getting back into the game again....After 4 years..

Well, It's been about four years and 2 months since I was last into comic collecting. Titles like Y: the last man and Fables were just about a year old or so. I've Picked up the occasional issue of wizard, cruised newsarama and wizard's websites for little bits of info regarding old favorites. I used to average between $100-$150 dollar's a week depending on what goodie's I would get from previews.

My collection goes back about 30 years. So my question is should I go back to the comic store where I used to go, or should I go DCBS? Time is of the essence and my store is 30-40 minutes away. GOing to another store is out of the question since I feel a certain sense of loyalty to my old store, and the other stores have always acted like thier shit doesn't stink, and can't be bothered to answer customers questions...No customer service. I am only looking to spend about twenty bucks a week on new releases, so less money to spend means better get higher quality books or tpb's.

I started to grow out of my Marvel and DC trappings the last seven years of collecting, so my question is what is out their now? I got into Bone, League of Extroardinary Gentleman, Herobear, Y, Fables, etc. By the way, I picked up my first hard cover last week....Spider man: Reign.

So does Brian K. Vaughn have anything new coming out?
How is Ultimate/Amazing Spiderman?
What are pretty refreshing reads now?
Is JSA still a strong Geoff Johns book?
What do you recommend?

madcougar 08-21-07 10:30 AM

Wow. I honestly don't know if I'd get back into this if I had been out for four years. Seriously, you've saved at least $5,000 the last four years per your estimate.

Thinking about it a bit, if I had been out that long, I'd buy HC and TPB and would avoid monthlies like the plague. It seems that most montlies are nothing more than fodder for future collections anyway. With comic books averageing $3 now, it seems slightly cheaper to wait for a collected volume.

Don't get me wrong, I still get some pleasure out of this hobby, but if I had been addicted to crack and quit, I wouldn't go sniffing around a crack house anytime soon.

fujishig 08-21-07 02:27 PM

I kinda agree with madcougar. If I look back on the comics I collected in the last four years, and take out any that have since been released in a cheaper collection, there are very very few that I'd consider actually worthwhile. Maybe not any.

DVD Josh 08-21-07 02:57 PM

I thought about getting back into it as well, until I saw the cost of a book was nearly $4.00. No thanks.

Chew 08-21-07 03:04 PM

I think the better focus of this thread is how you can quit this kind of crack habit for four years?

I still haven't figured it out after 20 years on it. :lol: :(

Patman 08-21-07 03:49 PM

I've quit for long gaps in my 30 years of collecting as well. I quit when I got into high school, but then re-discovered them in college for a while. I quit for a while after college, but got back into them when Valiant showed up on the scene, and then quit for a few more years in the late 1990's for about 3-4 years, but got back into the game about 4 years ago once more. I keep telling myself I need to trim the list of titles, but am failing miserably since I can afford it (for now). Everytime I quit, I do find myself having fun looking to see what I missed in the years of comic collecting inactivity, though Ebay has made it easy to find runs of titles, and/or Hardcovers and TPBs.

calhoun07 08-21-07 06:42 PM

I quit for quite some time...probably around 1990 or so and didn't get back into it until 1997. I skipped right over all that crap in the 90s. When I got back in it appeared to me Marvel took a serious nose dive and the best stuff I found was in the independents.

For a while there I was getting about 20 comics per month. I tried quitting again not too long ago...that lasted about 4 months. It took me some time to ween myself away from 20 comics per month, and now I am just focusing on three or four titles per month (Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, Ghost Rider, and I am considering picking back up with Daredevil again as well.)

I am Fantastic Four nut and hope to fill in back issues to complete my collection (my goal is to have every issue #200 on, but I really don't know if I can bring myself to drop money on the whole Heroes Reborn crap.)