Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Why did Marvel stop putting our annuals?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know there have been some Ultimates Annuals and there is a new Daredevil Annual coming out, but overall annuals seemed to become a thing of the past around 2001 or so. They just died off. What happened? Personally, when I was a kid collecting comics in the 80s, annuals were a great way to check out other titles I was interested in but didn't read regularly just to see how I might like it.
Old 08-20-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
When I was a kid, it seemed like annuals were a way to have big crossovers. Now we have big crossovers in every issue of every title, I guess annuals became redundant.
Old 08-20-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
When I was a kid, it seemed like annuals were a way to have big crossovers. Now we have big crossovers in every issue of every title, I guess annuals became redundant.
I'm guessing you're in your mid-twenties.
Old 08-20-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by madcougar
I'm guessing you're in your mid-twenties.
Nah, I'm 30. I can remember when annuals were just large sized continuations of the books (which I largely ignored except if it was done by a great artist or featured some landmark like Spidey's wedding), but for the most part I remember the late 80's Marvel annuals like the Evolutionary War, the Serpent Crown, Atlantis Attacks, stuff like that. Then it gradually devolved, in the early 90's you had groups of crossover annuals, and then that one year when both DC and Marvel did annuals introducing new characters. I remember each Marvel one had a card or something. And the only character that came out of it that I remember was Hitman.

Didn't Marvel do 13 issues a year after that? Do they still do that? And then DC started doing miniseries... I remember some JSA (old school JSA, not modern JSA) event, and some Green Lantern tie in where a green lantern would team up with a second tier character in each issue.

Now it seems like if they want a killer creative team to work on a title for an oversized issue, they just make a one-shot or something.

edited to add: Didn't Marvel do separate mini series for stuff like Civil War? Not the Civil War mini itself, I mean the Runaways/Young Avengers Civil War series, the X-men crossover, stuff like that. That way they can milk it into a tpb.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-20-07 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in "tha day", annuals were usually self-contained, light, breezy fare released during the summer.

Well, in my "day", anyways..
Old 08-20-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Back in "tha day", annuals were usually self-contained, light, breezy fare released during the summer.

Those are the annuals I am talking about.
Old 08-20-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OK, I'm 28, annuals for me seemed like a marketing gimmick with crappy art and crossovers of no importance that required you to buy several books at twice normal cover price. So I don't miss them
Old 08-20-07, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
OK, I'm 28, annuals for me seemed like a marketing gimmick with crappy art and crossovers of no importance that required you to buy several books at twice normal cover price. So I don't miss them
Yeah, now we get those every month, LOL...
Old 08-21-07, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
80 Page Giant. For a quarter. Now that was an annual!
Old 08-21-07, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Because they don't fit in the golfball hole?
Old 08-21-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Yeah, now we get those every month, LOL...
Zing! I started buying comic books on the tail end of what I consider to be really good annuals. For me the annuals of the 90s were an opportunity for the Big 2 to produce some really awful mutlipart storlines. Today, these two are just producing these stories without the "annual" tag.
Old 08-21-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The multipart story lines always turn me off. I will usually drop a title rather than try to keep up with a multi issue (and multi title) story line. If it's really worth while, the story line will be released in a hard bound collection and I might consider picking up then but not very often.
Old 08-23-07, 07:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Rogue588

I agree with this poster.

My understanding was when the comics industry was about to go bust, the majors decided that rather than put out "light, breezy" annuals by their A team & B team writers, that they as a comic company try to come up with an "Event" series whereby by the talents of the entire writing pool could be focused on telling 1 large scale story.
Old 08-23-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A good read on the history of annuals (and crossovers in general on the rest of the site):

http://www.geocities.com/mbrown123/x...s_history.html
Old 08-26-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yet Marvel seems to be bringing the annual back. They have put out annuals in the ultimates line, and they are doing a new Daredevil annual coming up real soon.
Old 08-26-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
They also had some Spidey annuals a month or so ago..
Old 08-29-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Marvel stopped releasing annuals back when Bill Jemas was in charge.

What happened was, he looked at the sales figures for annuals he noted that they sold fewer copies than their regular titles. So instead of doing he annuals, he had them add another regular issue or two per year to the schedule.