DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Movies or TV Shows that became comics (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/506536-movies-tv-shows-became-comics.html)

JJE-187 07-16-07 12:58 PM

Movies or TV Shows that became comics

I am trying to compile a list of Movies and TV shows that went on to become comics even 1 shots or Graphic Novels, I know of a few but not all

Chew 07-16-07 01:16 PM

To name a few:

Firefly
Buffy
Angel
Battlestar Galactica
Lone Ranger
Star Trek
Star Wars

I think the list is pretty endless, actually.

fujishig 07-16-07 03:01 PM

Yeah, there are a ton, I'm not sure how you'd get a complete list...

Dark Horse, for example, makes a living off of licensed content, including Aliens, Predator, Star Wars, etc.

Then there are those movies that have even a single comic book adaptation. I remember, for example, having a Buckaroo Banzai adaptation as a kid. And what about all the cartoons that turned into comics?

Wildo1966 07-16-07 03:18 PM

Shawn Of The Dead
Dawn Of The Dead
Land Of The Dead
Saw
Friday The 13th
Halloween
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Nightmare On Elm Street
Rock & Roll High School
Highlander
CSI
Adventures Of Ford Fairlane (anyone remember that comic book?)
Robocop
The Mighty Heroes
Just to name a few...

The Bus 07-16-07 06:36 PM

X-Files

fujishig 07-16-07 07:00 PM

Ah, the big ones are easy. Let's see how obscure we can get with this.

I remember NOW comics had:
Astro Boy (which was actually a manga adapted to anime adapted to a US cartoon adapted to a comic)
Fright Night
The Green Hornet
Married with Children
The Real Ghostbusters
Universal Soldier
Terminator

Valiant, before they made Harbinger, Solar, etc., started with a line of videogame comics including Captain N the Game Master, based off of the cartoon that was based off of a number of videogames.

Of course, Valiant got Solar, Magnus, and Turok from the old Gold Key company, which published (had to look it up):
the Avengers (tv show)
battle of the Planets
Bonanza (?)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Flintstones
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
I Spy
Ripley's Beleive it or Not
Star Trek
The Twilight Zone
and my favorite from that era, Disney comics like Uncle Scrooge.

Marvel had a whole imprint of licensed comics for kids, (some based off of toys but a lot off of cartoons) including:
ALF (don't remember if it was based off the tv show or cartoon)
Defenders of the Earth
Flintstone Kids
Fraggle Rock
Inhumanoids
Muppet Babies
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Silverhawks
Thundercats

Was it Comico that published a line of Gumby comics? I remember a special drawn by Art Adams. Speaking of Adams, he also did adaptations of Godzilla and Creature from the Black Lagoon, from Dark Horse (I think) line of Universal monster movie comic book adaptations.

areacode212 07-16-07 07:04 PM

Doctor Who has enjoyed a long history of existing in comics form alongside the TV show.

Also, to add to the list of cartoons: M.A.S.K.

fujishig 07-16-07 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by areacode212
Doctor Who has enjoyed a long history of existing in comics form alongside the TV show.

Also, to add to the list of cartoons: M.A.S.K.

With some of these, I can't remember if the comic was based on the cartoon or the toys, or some combination of both. Did the M.A.S.K. comic have tbob, or whatever his name was?

Continuing the acronym thing, C.O.P.S. was either based on the toy or the cartoon... hard to tell, because Bart Sears drew the first issue and he was also the reference artist for the toys.

Transformers and GI Joe were both based on the toys. but there were adaptations of both Transformers movies, and comics based on the Beast Wars cartoon.

Robotech was based on the cartoon which was taken from three different anime.

While it probably doesn't quite fit here, Marvel's Shogun Warriors was based off of toys that were based off of robots from three different Japanese cartoons.

DC has a few comics based off of animated versions of their comic book characters.

JasonF 07-17-07 09:09 AM

A few classics:
Dr. No first appeared in Britain's Classics Illustrated line. DC reprinted it in Showcase (the book that introduced us to most of the DC Silver Age superheroes). Apparently, they also got the rights to do an ongoing James Bond comic but nothing ever came of it because DC thought it wouldn't be successful!

Back in the 50s and 60s, Gold Key adapted a bunch of TV shows like The Rifleman (dig that wood!) and Bonanza.

DC had Ozzie and Harriet and Dobie Gillis. Later, after they had lost the Dobie Gillis license (and Dobie Gillis was no longer on the aire anyway), DC just changed the characters' names to Windy and Willy and reprinted some of the stories.

Super X 07-17-07 12:19 PM

In the area of short-lived TV shows that became comics, Marvel did a 7 issue series in the '70s based on The Man From Atlantis.

Michael Corvin 07-17-07 02:23 PM

I just picked up a DuckTales compilation. The show, IIRC, began in '86 while the comic hit around '89.

fujishig 07-17-07 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I just picked up a DuckTales compilation. The show, IIRC, began in '86 while the comic hit around '89.

Isn't that just a collection of Carl Barks stories that a bunch of the Duck Tales stories were adapted from? I remember I had a bunch of those oversized collections with stories like the Golden Fleece long before Duck Tales was on the air.

movieguru 07-17-07 05:14 PM

V
Indiana Jones both from Marvel and Darkhorse
Simpsons
Muppets
CSI

Michael Corvin 07-19-07 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Isn't that just a collection of Carl Barks stories that a bunch of the Duck Tales stories were adapted from? I remember I had a bunch of those oversized collections with stories like the Golden Fleece long before Duck Tales was on the air.

Are they? I just got it the other day, and just checked the printing date. You could be right.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 07-19-07 06:35 PM

IIRC DuckTales was based off the old Barks stories. Pretty much every episode was drawn from that guy back in the 50's and 60's. Also being a Louisvillian you should check out Don Rosa's (he's a local) run on the ducks. Specifically Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and Companion volume.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 07-19-07 06:36 PM

Ooh! And i forgot to add...

WB/CW's Supernatural has a prequel series running right now (on ish 3 i think).

BlueCC 07-19-07 07:10 PM

Hercules the Legendary Journeys
Xena Warrior Princess
Beavis and Butt-Head
Babylon 5
Futurama
Sliders
Clerks
Dark Shadows
H.R. Pufnstuf
MM Power Rangers (+ movie adaptation)
Flipper
James Bond Jr.

Movie Adaptations:
The Mask
Howard the Duck
Jason Goes to Hell
007: Goldeneye, For Your Eyes Only, Licence to Kill, The Living Daylights, Octopussy, A View to Kill
. . .
That is going to be one long list, JJE-187.

JJE-187 07-19-07 07:25 PM

Thanks everyone and I know that the list will probally be endless, but i wanna try anyways. Does anyone know if comics exist for any of these movies
Mad Max
Bad Santa
Last Action Hero
Karate Kid
Lord of the Rings
BeastMaster

Giantrobo 07-19-07 08:59 PM

Predator
Predator V Alien (pre-film)
Aliens

Michael Corvin 07-20-07 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by burnside986
IIRC DuckTales was based off the old Barks stories. Pretty much every episode was drawn from that guy back in the 50's and 60's. Also being a Louisvillian you should check out Don Rosa's (he's a local) run on the ducks. Specifically Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and Companion volume.

Checked it out and you are correct. Thanks for the info, I might check into Rosa's as well.

dx23 07-20-07 09:38 PM

WCW and WWF had comic books about the wrestlers. Also the Ultimate Warrior had one.

Trevor 07-21-07 08:41 AM

Good luck on this list, it will be HUGE.

Has anyone mentioned Man from Atlantis (not sure why that random factoid just hit my brain)?

If I remember, I'll bring my Comic Book Price Guide and Checklist (awesome book) to work and go thru it looking for titles for you. Are you going to compile everyone's additions and alphabetize them?

Seconding the recommendation to read Don Rosa's stuff.

Fincher Fan 07-21-07 09:22 AM

Futurama
The Simpsons

Sessa17 07-22-07 09:27 AM

There really are too many to ever name, it can't be done here, but here are a few off the top of my head that I haven't seen posted yet. . .

Army of Darkness
Species
Quantum Leap
The Partridge Family
Mutant X (The TV show)
Mod Squad
Maverick
Farscape
The Devil's Rejects
Beverly Hillbillies
Captain Planet & the Planeteers
Car 54 Where Are You?
The Toxic Crusaders
Man From UNCLE
The Lone Gunmen
Land of the Giants
Range Rider
The Coneheads
V
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
The Dick Van Dyke Show
C.S.I.
Dark Shadows
Droids
F-Troop
Sliders
Wyatt Earp (the tv series)

Smurfs
Three Stooges
Alf
Smallville
The Matrix
Alien Nation
Tom & Jerry
Zorro (the TV series)
Howdy Doody
I Love Lucy
Josie & The Pussycats
The Jetsons
Sabrina the Teenage Witch
Rifleman
Animaniacs
Beavis & Butthead

dx23 07-22-07 11:12 AM

Justice League the animated series
Batman the animated series
Superman the animated series
JLU the animated series
Captain Planet and the Planeteers
Thundercats
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
GI Joe
Transformers
NFL Superpro (hero based on NFL football)
Star Wars franchise
Star Trek franchise