Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Let's talk about what comics you're reading in July, 2007

Old 07-09-07, 03:05 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I know, but I thought she didn't become Sensor Girl until after
Spoiler:

Karate Kid's death at the hands of Nemesis Kid?

Not sure if I needed to spoiler that, as it was so long ago?
Definitely keep the spoiler tags, since DC is putting that storyline in a TPB ("Legion of Superheroes: An Eye for An Eye") due out soon.
Old 07-09-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Definitely keep the spoiler tags, since DC is putting that storyline in a TPB ("Legion of Superheroes: An Eye for An Eye") due out soon.
Cool. They'll probably spoiler that on the cover, though, similar to how they spoil the big reveal of the "Great Darkness Saga" on the cover of that tpb.

DC does seem to be releasing a lot of classic 80's reprints lately, though. I know I picked up two Teen Titans trades, the donna troy one and the terra one. And they have that black and white series where they're reprinting Batman and the Outsiders and, of all things, Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew (hey, I was a fan as a kid!).

I want Inifinity Inc. and Young All Stars next!
Old 07-10-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Schlock from the man who gave us Solarman, Ravage 2099, and Striperella!? Say it ain't so!

You will find no bigger fan of Stan Lee's Silver Age Marvel output than me, but I'm sad to say it's probably been 30 years since he has written anything I thought was good. I mean, I bought each and every issue of "Just Imagine ..." from DC, and each time, I was disappointed.

Wait .. I take it back. I thought the "Stan Lee Meets ..." books from Marvel that came out last year were lots of fun.

Stan still seems to be able to do the funny stuff well but when it comes to the serious stuff...
Old 07-11-07, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a comment: my filter at work (the one that blocks me from eBay and anything else considered "questionable") decided instocktrades.com was banned under the "humor" category.

Yet, DCBS is still readily available.
Old 07-14-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Punisher #49

Best. Punisher story. Ever.

Wow, seriously one of the most disturbing yet necessary scene, Ive read in a long time.
Old 07-14-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts
Cool. They'll probably spoiler that on the cover, though, similar to how they spoil the big reveal of the "Great Darkness Saga" on the cover of that tpb.

DC does seem to be releasing a lot of classic 80's reprints lately, though. I know I picked up two Teen Titans trades, the donna troy one and the terra one. And they have that black and white series where they're reprinting Batman and the Outsiders and, of all things, Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew (hey, I was a fan as a kid!).
I read Captain Carrot too but I can't remember anything about it now
Old 07-14-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Detective Comics related....

Zatanna!!

edit to add: I'm 2 weeks behind so I haven't read part II/the conclusion to this story.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-15-07 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-14-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think all this Zatanna love that Dini's been dishing out has to have something to do with the hottie lady magician he's married to.
Old 07-15-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Shit! No Kidding!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Lee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dini
Old 07-15-07, 10:13 AM

Not reading anything new, but I have all the Cerebus tpbs sitting on my shelf so I think I am going to start from the beginning now that I have them all. Hopefully I can make it all the way through. It gets a little rough when he starts with all the text later in the series.
Old 07-16-07, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveCole
Not reading anything new, but I have all the Cerebus tpbs sitting on my shelf so I think I am going to start from the beginning now that I have them all. Hopefully I can make it all the way through. It gets a little rough when he starts with all the text later in the series.
Rough is an understatement. I really enjoyed about the first third or so, but it got a lot more tedious for me from there.
Old 07-16-07, 09:28 AM

I think all this Zatanna love that Dini's been dishing out has to have something to do with the hottie lady magician he's married to.
I wonder which came first, his Zatanna love, or his meeting & marrying Misty Lee. Imagine if you grow up being a Zatanna fan...then you marry her!
Old 07-16-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Either way, life is good for Dini, eh?
Old 07-20-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yay, the Goon came out this week. Love that title.

World War Hulk was great. Talk about your meta-commentaries.
Spoiler:
When Rick Jones shows up and says that everything is a total mess. How true that is.
Old 07-20-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, I've posted here several times over the past 6 months or so about maybe my most anticipated comic in the past couple of years has being the MADMAN GARGANTUA. I've been drooling over this since it was first solicitated. It's one of my favorite comics EVER, & as some of you may know, hardcovers, especially oversized ones, are my absolute favorite form of geek-crack.

Sooooo, you can imagine the excitement I had finally seeing this on the Diamond shipping list last week, & I finally got to my store yesterday, picked up my long-anticipated book and. . . . . .

, taking into account the tremendous delay in this book, this is the single most dissapointing hardcover I have ever bought, (& believe me, I have a LOT of them). This thing was solicited as having "a load of additional material", it has pretty much none. Just a pretty crappy 1 page intro by Allred, & a bunch of pinups that I already have in the single issues. And on top of that, the paper quality is very poor, even more annoying after I've just read all 3 Annihilation hardcovers with excellent quality paper. What a giant hardcover turd this thing is.
Old 07-21-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
That's too bad about the Madman HC, Sessa. I was this close to picking it up, good thing I didn't. I've been addicted to Marvel's Omnibuses lately, and it doesn't sound like this stacks up to those at all.
Old 07-21-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been reading World War Hulk which already feels like World War Meh. I just want it over with and I loved the Planet Hulk run.
Old 07-22-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I've been reading World War Hulk which already feels like World War Meh. I just want it over with and I loved the Planet Hulk run.
Yeah, for some reason this event is living up to the expectations I had for it. It's not terrible or boring, but your "meh" is fitting. I'm only reading the main issues, so it feels disjointed in places. But whatever, nobody though this was going to be the next great comic (and maybe the next few issues will deliver some goods that will turn my feelings around on the event).

After years of buying the trades off and on, I finally finished Preacher. Such a satisfying ending. Now to move on to the next comic run I missed out on the first time around.
Old 07-22-07, 11:40 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Rough is an understatement. I really enjoyed about the first third or so, but it got a lot more tedious for me from there.
I gave up after Church & State -- it took a supreme act of will for me to get through the last third or so of that book. I know there are people who swear by Dave Sim, but he's clearly not to my taste.
Old 07-23-07, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 596 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
After years of buying the trades off and on, I finally finished Preacher. Such a satisfying ending.
I recently completed my hunt for all issues of Preacher and need to plan a time to sit back and start reading it all. I'm glad you didn't spoil the ending!
Old 07-23-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

After years of buying the trades off and on, I finally finished Preacher. Such a satisfying ending. Now to move on to the next comic run I missed out on the first time around.
Hitman!
I liked it even better than Preacher, and I loved Preacher...

The trades should be coming out soon. I hope they do a 2 or 3-volume "Absolute/Omnibus" version of it though - same with Preacher.
Old 07-23-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Hitman!
I liked it even better than Preacher, and I loved Preacher...

The trades should be coming out soon. I hope they do a 2 or 3-volume "Absolute/Omnibus" version of it though - same with Preacher.
Weren't there already some Hitman tpbs released? At least 4 I thought...but not the entire series. I would certainly welcome an Absolute Hitman.
Old 07-24-07, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does Hitman have a cohesive storyline like Preacher or Y? I mean to say, does it work like a finite series?

Either way I won't be reading that right away. As enjoyable as Preacher was, the story could be a bit much with how over the top Ennis likes to get.

I'm looking for something that moves at a different speed. I'm thinking my semi-annual rereading of Strangers in Paradise. A series that I love, but saved the last 20 issues of the series to read until after the series was done. That or Astro City.
Old 07-24-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I just finished Planet Hulk and, while I enjoyed it, found it quite a bit reminiscent of the Jarella story from way back when.

I just got shipping notice on the Madman HC, now I'm afraid to get it.
Old 07-24-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does Hitman have a cohesive storyline like Preacher or Y? I mean to say, does it work like a finite series?
Absolutely it does!

I mean, it doesn't have a definitive beginning like Preacher does - you're just kind of dropped into Tommy's world as the series begins (that is, unless you include his origin from the Demon annual). And the different story-archs are a little more "stand-alone" in nature than Preacher's were, but with plenty of carry-over from each story-arch to the next. But it sure as shit goes through his character's (and all other characters') arch in a very thorough and satisfying manner with a very definitive ending.

Either way I won't be reading that right away. As enjoyable as Preacher was, the story could be a bit much with how over the top Ennis likes to get.
Hitman is nowhere near as over-the-top as Preacher was - Hitman wasn't CC-approved, but it wasn't a "mature-readers-only" book either - I mean, he has Batman, Superman and Green Lantern show up as guests.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.