Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Heroes Con 2007 - who's going? (Charlotte, N. Carolina)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't believe we are about 5 weeks away from Heroes Con 2007! It takes place on Father's Day weekend (June 15-17) at Charlotte, North Carolina (at the Charlotte Convention Center). A 3-day pass is only $20/person, very reasonable.

I'll be there once again, and expect to be my usual shutterbug self and take tons of photos of the guests and attendees, and of the original artwork that gets produced during the convention for the art auction.

Last edited by Patman; 05-09-07 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-09-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I may. Its about a 3 hour drive from Raleigh, so if I have any friends who want to go, I probably will hit the road. Porbably won't if nobody wants to go with me.
Old 05-09-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
3-4 hours for me, from Wilmington. I went 2 years in a row, in the late 90's and it was fun. Depends if I get someone to go with me.

Guest list is decent this year, with the usual suspects, and a few new ones. Adam Hughes is cool, but not the $200 he charges for a convention sketch.

I did score a free autographed BOP poster from Brian Stelfreeze there once. It was because, he was happy that the comic I had him sign, he hadnt seen since he drew it. Pretty cool.
Old 05-09-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy moly, AH! now charges $200 for a sketch? I remember when he was getting $50-$60 per sketch, but that was about 3-4 years ago. He still owes me and my friend a sketch each from about 8 years ago (i.e. paid for, but never delivered at either of the 2 conventions we see him at each year, Heroes and Dragon Con).
Old 05-09-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
I went last year. I took the Greyhound from Raleigh to Charlotte because it was cheaper then driving there and i was going by myself. I only went for the day got a few signatures and a few hardcovers. They have a good list of guest artists and writers. Not many media guests go there though. Last year had the girl from Clerks there but she was about all there was.
Old 05-10-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That would be Rosario Dawson, one of the coolest, down-to-earth, movie celebs I've ever met (and slated to be there again this year). Heroes Con is mainly about the comics, and the writers/artists that create them, so it's unrealistic to expect it to have all sorts of movie stars showing up for it (like in San Diego for Comicon).
Old 05-11-07, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i went last year.
it's a fun show!
Old 06-15-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Rosario Dawson. A co-worker found out that Rosario would be at Heroes Con this weekend, and was bummed that he wouldn't be able to meet her in person as he's a real fan of hers, so I did the next best thing for him:

IMG_6833
Old 06-18-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you are the best friend ever
Old 06-18-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Heh heh.

I got way too many photos from Heroes Con this year. I'm still in the process of sorting them out.

I actually witnessed someone who didn't like their Adam Hughes sketch and got their money back on it (Adam offers a money back guarentee if they don't like it). I was in shock. Mark Brooks was sitting right next to Adam and quickly slipped Adam some moola and snapped it up pronto.
Old 06-18-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is this, just about the show "Heroes"? I knew it was popular, but not THAT popular!
Old 06-21-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey folks, just got done with uploading a slew of photos I snapped at Heroes Con this year. Here's the link to the photos and con report. I don't think there is much "info" in the con report, just a daily travelogue of sorts. Hope you'll like the photos.

If you ever want to see how Adam Hughes draws a smoking hot Black Widow starting from a blank page and taking 35 minutes (taking time out to sign some comics as well) to do the finished sketch, look at this set of photos.
Old 06-21-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Patman, thanks for the pics. The Wizard Convention in Dallas is as close as I am to a "big" convention. Out of curiosity, how much does AH sell those sketches for? I have wanted an original piece of artwork from him for years, but they always end up selling for way too much on eBay. That Black Widow is sick!
Old 06-21-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think AH! charges about 2 Benjamins for a sketch. But it's really hard to get on his list for a sketch, and then I think there's a random element to who get a sketch off the list.

This is why I still can't believe someone turned in that Mary Jane sketch for a refund.
Old 06-23-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
I think AH! charges about 2 Benjamins for a sketch. But it's really hard to get on his list for a sketch, and then I think there's a random element to who get a sketch off the list.

This is why I still can't believe someone turned in that Mary Jane sketch for a refund.
I wouldn't be too impressed with that for $200 either. The face details look good, but all the background scribble ruins it for me. I've seen a lot of lesser known artists do great detailed sketches for under $40. When I went to the Megacon in Florida a few years back, Crossgen did some great sketches for me fully inked and colored for free. I guess if you want one by a specific artist, but i'd rather have a sketch I liked regaurdless of the artist, than one from a "popular" artist just because he drew/she drew it.

I do like the black Widow sketch though. very nice.

Last edited by movieguru; 06-23-07 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was Rosario signing? If so, was it free?
Old 06-24-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Was Rosario signing? If so, was it free?
As far as comics go, I think it was free, probably DVDs or glossies too. I sprung for a OCT print for $20 for my co-worker that was signed by the whole gang.
Old 06-24-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
As far as comics go, I think it was free, probably DVDs or glossies too. I sprung for a OCT print for $20 for my co-worker that was signed by the whole gang.
I know last year she was signing for free. Many lesser known ones were charging $20 and up for signatures, but I saw her signing many different items with no money changing hands.