DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Spiderman Omnibus (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/498915-spiderman-omnibus.html)

Wildo1966 04-25-07 08:25 AM

Spiderman Omnibus

I see that the Spiderman Omnibus is coming out today 4/25. Has anyone ordered a copy and if so have you received it? I am really curious about the book and how big/bulky it is...Any info would be great!

reverie 04-25-07 12:50 PM

I pre-ordered it, but haven't heard a thing since. First time I used that site (I forget where... it's one of the sites brought up here often), so I really don't know what to expect. I actually didn't know it was out now, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed. ;)

fryinpan1 04-25-07 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
I see that the Spiderman Omnibus is coming out today 4/25. Has anyone ordered a copy and if so have you received it? I am really curious about the book and how big/bulky it is...Any info would be great!

It will probably be very big and bulky. I received Daredevil Omnibus yesterday, and it was huge. The Spider-Man Omnibus has over two hundred more pages too.

DataZak 04-25-07 06:17 PM

It's out? Amazon says 9th May. Oh well, I pre-ordered from them months ago so waiting 2 more weeks is no biggie.

musick 04-25-07 09:41 PM

http://p206.ezboard.com/fmarvelmaste...cID=8158.topic

Wildo1966 04-26-07 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by DataZak
It's out? Amazon says 9th May. Oh well, I pre-ordered from them months ago so waiting 2 more weeks is no biggie.

Yes it was released, I emailed a Ebay seller who was selling it for $64.99 and he said he had them in stock...He had 999 for sale, how could he have so many? I wonder now if this seller is telling the truth..I have not seen any copies in person yet...

Patman 04-26-07 10:40 AM

I saw one at my LCS yesterday.

davidh777 04-26-07 08:35 PM

We've previously discussed that Amazon often gets things after LCS

Shiv Shankly 04-26-07 09:04 PM

Received mine today, and holy christ is this book enormous. Make sure you don't drop it on any children, as it might crush them.

taffer 04-27-07 04:05 AM

I hadn't heard about this omnibus before. I looked at that link and it appears it is just a reprint of some original Amazing Spider-man comics. What is the difference between this and Marvel Masterworks then?

DataZak 04-27-07 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by taffer
I hadn't heard about this omnibus before. I looked at that link and it appears it is just a reprint of some original Amazing Spider-man comics. What is the difference between this and Marvel Masterworks then?

It collects all the Lee/Ditko Spidey stories in one massive book. It also includes the original letters pages (but this is a big deal only if you like this kind of things...and I do). If you already have the Masterworks then you probably don't need the Omnibus. For one thing the Masterworks can be read in bed.

Wildo1966 04-27-07 08:04 AM

It collects all the Lee/Ditko Spidey stories in one massive book. It also includes the original letters pages (but this is a big deal only if you like this kind of things...and I do). If you already have the Masterworks then you probably don't need the Omnibus. For one thing the Masterworks can be read in bed.

Since you can't read this Omnibus in bed do you need a forklift truck to help you hoist it up and read it? IMO this books seems just too big to read easily....Sounds like a great book but damn it sounds too big!

reverie 04-27-07 10:39 AM

I just checked, and apparently mine shipped on Wednesday! I can't wait to get this (the closest things I've bought collecting the early works were the Essentials). The big selling point here was the 50% off, and the fact it has everything! I've eyed the Masterworks before, but it seems like a big financial undertaking (maybe had I started at the beginning..).

dadaluholla 04-27-07 12:18 PM

I was going to get this originally, but I've now decided to just stick with Essentials.

Daryl 04-27-07 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shiv Shankly
Received mine today, and holy christ is this book enormous. Make sure you don't drop it on any children, as it might crush them.

no kidding. my 4 year old son usually brings in my weekly box from DCBS, but he couldn't even move this week's box. As fryinpan1 said, it's considerably larger than the Daredevil one that just came out.

bishop2knight 04-27-07 01:35 PM

I have this and Absolute Batman coming from DCSB. Should be a hefty box.

MBoyd 05-05-07 10:20 PM

I just opened mine and discovered it was bound upside down. Doesn't affect reading it. I don't know if I will even bother returning it.

musick 05-05-07 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I just opened mine and discovered it was bound upside down. Doesn't affect reading it. I don't know if I will even bother returning it.

perfect for reading in the following position....
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...wn-Posters.jpg

zombiezilla 05-06-07 10:02 AM

What's this DCSB I keep seeing here? I Googled "DCSB comic books" and got nothing of any use.

MBoyd 05-06-07 11:03 AM

It's actually DCBS. And the website is dcbservice.com. A lot of us order comics from there or mailordercomics.com. I have used DCBS for 2 years now. Great discounts!

Patrick G 05-06-07 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
What's this DCSB I keep seeing here? I Googled "DCSB comic books" and got nothing of any use.

What are you, twelve? Learn how to search.

zombiezilla 05-06-07 12:48 PM

Nice comeback, Patrick G!
To those not "in-the-know", Patrick was belittled by me in the Adult Forum for posting a thread with this title:

"Where to find the topless An1st0n pics from The 8reakup?"

To which I responded:

"An1st0n? 8reakup? What are you, twelve?"

Apparently, my post here in the Comics Forum stating that I did a search was not good enough for him.

To the REST of you, I say thanks for the information; it was quite helpful.

Patrick G 05-06-07 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Nice comeback, Patrick G!
To those not "in-the-know", Patrick was belittled by me in the Adult Forum for posting a thread with this title:

"Where to find the topless An1st0n pics from The 8reakup?"

To which I responded:

"An1st0n? 8reakup? What are you, twelve?"

Apparently, my post here in the Comics Forum stating that I did a search was not good enough for him.

To the REST of you, I say thanks for the information; it was quite helpful.

Do you just not understand why I titled the thread that way?

zombiezilla 05-06-07 01:00 PM

*sigh*
Enlighten me, and then let's try to steer this thread back to the subject at hand, shall we?

Patrick G 05-06-07 01:02 PM

To avoid detection by anyone searching the net for those pics.

zombiezilla 05-06-07 01:06 PM

Why do you feel the need to "avoid detection"? A quick Google search brought up 60,400 possibles, and I was fairly specific. I doubt she's gonna sue 'em all, LOL.

Now, about that Spidey Omnibus....

Wildo1966 05-17-07 12:58 PM

Well back on topic....I finally broke down and bought the Spiderman Omnibus Volume 1 (there are more coming??) and I absolutely love it! Yes it is quite large and heavy, but with over 1000 pages it gonna take a long time to read the whole thing anyway. I got mine for $62.99 on Amazon with free shipping....

DataZak 05-17-07 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
Well back on topic....I finally broke down and bought the Spiderman Omnibus Volume 1 (there are more coming??)

I sure hope so. The first volume only covers the Lee/Ditko years. I want it to go to at least the late 70s.

calhoun07 05-18-07 10:26 PM

Is the Omnibus collections in color?

Aside from page length and price, how do they differ from Marvel Masterworks?

DataZak 05-19-07 02:32 AM

See my reply (post #11) to a similar question on page 1 of this thread. What the heck...I'll just paste it here:

And yes, it's in colour.

musick 05-20-07 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Is the Omnibus collections in color?

Aside from page length and price, how do they differ from Marvel Masterworks?

yes in color
oversized format and include original letter pages and some additional bonus content
I prefer Masterworks due to the cumbersome size/weight of the Omnibus

Kube 05-21-07 02:47 PM

What is the Omnibus series?

Can someone please explain it. I looked it up on Amazon. It seems like it's a collection of essential Spidey comics with some additional essays.

Am I close.

DataZak 05-21-07 06:13 PM

It's a thick book that reprints Spidey's first ever appearance (Amazing Fantasy #15) and also his regular title, Amazing Spider-Man, from the first issue up to issue #38. Also the first two ASM annuals and his appearances in FF Annual and Strange Tales Annual. No doubt a future volume 2 will continue from ASM #39 and onwards plus some more Annuals (here's hoping).

It's all in colour and includes the fan mail that originally appeared in the letter column. It's very thick and it's a bugger to read in bed but its historical value is priceless.

yecul 05-21-07 06:49 PM

From taking a glance it would be more cost effective to get this rather than the Masterpieces, no? You'd have to get a couple of those to cover what's in this collection. Though it does sound enormous.

porieux 05-21-07 07:20 PM

Anyone got a pic of this thing?

Rainet 05-21-07 09:44 PM

Your wish is my command. :)

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4851/omni1fk3.jpg

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8991/omni2tr4.jpg

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/2586/omnixdl4.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...cture33001.jpg

Captain Freeze 05-21-07 10:53 PM

jeebus.

musick 05-21-07 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by yecul
From taking a glance it would be more cost effective to get this rather than the Masterpieces, no? You'd have to get a couple of those to cover what's in this collection. Though it does sound enormous.

yes, the content in the Omnibus covers a bit less content covered in the first 4 ASM Masterworks volumes (volume 4 takes the series up to issue 40)

@ 34.99 x 4 = $139.96
vs
Omnibus @ 69.99

still my preference is the individual Masterworks

areacode212 05-22-07 07:51 AM

Holy shit, that thing is enormous.

The fact that it reprints the letter pages is a big plus. A lot of the fun and personality of the early Marvel era came from Stan's letter columns. I've been looking through a lot of old Strange Tales, and you really get the sense that Marvel was this really hip publisher, and if you read their comics, you were part of this special club.

RichardW 05-22-07 10:10 AM

The letters pages are pretty funny to read. I started on the FF omnibus last month and some of those people sure liked to complain. Reminds me of the internet. ;)