Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Spiderman Omnibus

Old 09-18-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 208 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Spiderman Omnibus

I have been collecting these as they come out and was figuring they were going to chronicle every major Spider-Man appearance or at least every major SM title all encompassed in each volume. I was hoping for chronological releases of issues such as Marvel Team-up and eventually Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man, Web Of Spider-Man, etc.

We are now on a Volume 5 release. Appears these are just mainly including only The Amazing SM series. Anyone read anything about this or was also hoping for the same thing I was hoping for?
Old 09-18-21, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I have been collecting these as they come out and was figuring they were going to chronicle every major Spider-Man appearance or at least every major SM title all encompassed in each volume. I was hoping for chronological releases of issues such as Marvel Team-up and eventually Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man, Web Of Spider-Man, etc.

We are now on a Volume 5 release. Appears these are just mainly including only The Amazing SM series. Anyone read anything about this or was also hoping for the same thing I was hoping for?
That's exactly what I was hoping for but I don't believe that is in Marvel's plans. They are collecting all of Amazing. They have put out Spectacular and Web in various Epic trades, I believe.
Old 09-18-21, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 818 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post

Omnibus at both Marvel and DC have been very inconsistent in regards to chronology. Both companies have focused themselves in getting out major storylines or doing artist/writer themed ones. The recent Spider-Man Omnibus re-releases have focused on the either going chronologically by Amazing Spider-Man (vol 1-5 omnibus) and including some stories here and there from other sources like Marvel Treasury Edition, issues of Nova and Marvel Special Edition. Then there's the McFarlane/Michelinie Omnibus re-release that focuses on the Venom storyline. The popularity of Omnibuses (at least the Marvel ones) leads me to believe that they will tackle some of the Web of Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man stuff at some point, but there are so many forgettable stories on both of those runs that I wonder if Marvel believes that's worth the effort in collecting those issues.
Old 09-20-21, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Marvel is usually pretty good about labeling things properly, so since the omnibus line was The Amazing Spider-Man it wasn't expected to collect any other Spidey titles. There's certainly enough of Marvel Team-Up and The Spectacular Spider-Man in the Marvel Masterworks line that they could start issuing them in omnis as well (if you aren't aware, the Masterworks releases are generally when Marvel does their restoration work), but I would still expect the series to be collected separately.
The main exceptions are when the omnibus collects work by a creator, like how the Spider-Man by Roger Stern omni included his Amazing and Spectacular issues, or by storyline, like the Clone Saga and Ben Reilly omnis.
Old 09-21-21, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 485 Likes on 339 Posts

I know there were some solid stories in Spectacular over the years, but is anyone really clamoring for a Web of Spider-Man omnibus?

Generally speaking, I think the Epic Collection is the line that really prioritizes completeness. While there have been any number of random omnibuses due to movie tie-ins and what have you, the main priority of that line is collecting the flagship titles, runs by major creators and events.
​​​​I can see an argument for the omnibuses being more complete, but at a certain point you start to water down the product with subpar material.

Somewhat related, I happen to collect x-men omnibuses and the early volumes only collect the main x-men title because that's all there was. Later volumes (which are more event focused) include long runs of X-Factor and New Mutants. I'm reading through my books right now and am at Fall Of The Mutants and all I want to do is read X-Men, but I'm hung up on Louise Simonson New Mutants. Ugh. I mean I could skip those issues because they're irrelevant to the x-men strand of the story, but they're in the book, so I feel compelled. It's basically brought my reading to a complete halt.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (09-21-21)
Old 09-29-21, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 208 Posts

I've got the first 4 Amazing Spider-Man Omnibi, and I love them! I won't be buying the 5th, however. I've got all of those issues collected in the Masterworks editions, so I'm pretty much set from there.