DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Buffy Season 8 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/497567-buffy-season-8-a.html)

Xander 04-10-07 09:12 AM

Buffy Season 8

Anyone picked up the new Buffy comic? Joss is continuing the story in comic book form and the second issue came out recently. I just read both issues yesterday. Pretty cool stuff so far. They can really do some interesting storylines in this medium. :)

Tracer Bullet 04-10-07 09:30 AM

The second issue is out already? I had no idea.

I enjoyed the first issue, although I'm not sold on the idea that the government would be treating Buffy as a terrorist leader.

madcougar 04-10-07 11:06 AM

I'm enjoying this storyline quite a bit.

I can easily buy the terrorist thing. I mean, there's a giant freakin' pit where a small town used to be. I remember thinking "Too bad the show is ending. I'd love to see how they explain this off," when they Scoobies were standing next to the crater during the series finale.

Libby 04-12-07 08:08 AM

I was so excited when I read a comic was being made when the show had ended. So far it lives up to my expectations and Joss has kept the Characters personalities intact.

Xander 04-12-07 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
The second issue is out already? I had no idea.

I enjoyed the first issue, although I'm not sold on the idea that the government would be treating Buffy as a terrorist leader.

Well, the government was never thrilled with her. They pretty much treated her like a freak in season 4. So it didn't really surprise me. She pretty much has an army of her own now, and they did take out an entire town. :)

Draven 04-12-07 09:32 AM

I've had the first issue sitting in my kitchen for a few days, but haven't found that quiet moment to sit and read it. The second should be arriving shortly.

But I'm looking forward to getting back into the 'verse.

JasonF 04-12-07 04:46 PM

I'm enjoying it. My wife is a big Buffy fan, though, and she doesn't like it. She doesn't like that Buffy has an action team and a secret base and is jumping out of helicopters, and she doesn't like that Xander is so colelcted and together. But she hates comics -- I had to twist her arm to get her to read it -- so I think she didn't give it a fair shake.

Ralph Jenkins 04-12-07 08:43 PM

I picked up and read the first issue, but it went by so fast I think I might wait for the inevitable TPBs so I can read it in larger chunks.

Xander 04-13-07 10:38 AM

Yeah, it's a quick read. But I think it'll be quite a while before we see a graphic novel form since it's a monthly book. I didn't want to wait that long. :) And it's been a while since I've been a comic reader, so it's kind of nice to get back in it a little.

wendersfan 04-13-07 11:14 AM

I've never read comic books in my life, but I'm getting all these. I haven't had time to read issue #2 yet, probably this weekend.

Tracer Bullet 04-14-07 11:10 AM

I liked the second issue more than the first. Now that the "where are they now?" part is out of the way, we're getting more to the meat of the story.

I think the secret base and assault team stuff is a little too comic-book-y, but it doesn't bother me that much. It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with Angel.

nodeerforamonth 04-14-07 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I've never read comic books in my life, but I'm getting all these. I haven't had time to read issue #2 yet, probably this weekend.

Never read comic books in your life?!??! What are you, some kind of reverse-nerd?

Silt 04-14-07 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Never read comic books in your life?!??! What are you, some kind of reverse-nerd?

Buffy is my first comic as well.....which is probably odd seeing how I grew up doing the other "nerdy" stuff most people would associate with reading comics (D&D, RPGs, Magic: The Gathering, etc etc).

I really liked how #2 ended...and can't wait for #3!

Xander 04-16-07 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I liked the second issue more than the first. Now that the "where are they now?" part is out of the way, we're getting more to the meat of the story.

I think the secret base and assault team stuff is a little too comic-book-y, but it doesn't bother me that much. It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with Angel.

I think it'll be tricky, since Angel is owned by a different comic company.

Tracer Bullet 04-16-07 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Xander
I think it'll be tricky, since Angel is owned by a different comic company.

Dark Horse said something about that in the letters page of issue #2. I don't remember exactly what it was, but something like all the characters are owned by Mutant Enemy so it's not an issue.

Draven 04-16-07 10:40 AM

Yeah, they addressed the Angel and Spike issues in the letters page. Sounds like they are all fair game.

Finally got around to reading the two comics - I liked them a lot! Considering I was completely disappointed in both Season 6 and 7 of the show, it's nice to get back into the world in a new setting, but with the same characters and writing I always enjoyed.

Bring on issue 3!

JasonF 04-16-07 12:29 PM

In terms of Angel, keep in mind (spoilers for Angel Season 5)
Spoiler:
that Angel's storyline is pretty much set through the end of Angel Season 5, since one of the last episodes of the season made it clear that Angel and Spike hadn't encountered Buffy since Sunnydale's destruction.

What would be really cool, though, is if down the road, Buffy and her crew winds up in L.A. to help deal with the fallout from the series finale of Angel.

MovieExchange 04-16-07 12:46 PM

I'm hoping that we get some sort of resolution for Angel during this series. How can you have a Buffy series and not have her dealing with her angst over Angel and Spike?

I've been very impressed with the first 2 issues, especially with Xander. The major plus of having the creator of the show writing the book is that you know that the author is staying true to the character. You could almost hear Xander's voice saying those lines.

John_Shil 04-16-07 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Spoiler:
that Angel's storyline is pretty much set through the end of Angel Season 5, since one of the last episodes of the season made it clear that Angel and Spike hadn't encountered Buffy since Sunnydale's destruction.

What would be really cool, though, is if down the road, Buffy and her crew winds up in L.A. to help deal with the fallout from the series finale of Angel.

I think Season 8 takes place after Angel Season 5. At least, Wikipedia says so. Joss has said it takes place over a year after Chosen, so that would place it after Not Fade Away.

JasonF 04-16-07 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by John_Shil
I think Season 8 takes place after Angel Season 5. At least, Wikipedia says so. Joss has said it takes place over a year after Chosen, so that would place it after Not Fade Away.

Cool. I wasn't aware of that. Now I really hope we get some closure on Angel Season 5.

wendersfan 04-23-07 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth

The best way to describe it is to say that I was never into 'childish' (no negative connotation implied) things as a child. I've basically been an adult from around the time I learned to read at age four or whatever.

GreenMonkey 04-23-07 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Silt
Buffy is my first comic as well.....which is probably odd seeing how I grew up doing the other "nerdy" stuff most people would associate with reading comics (D&D, RPGs, Magic: The Gathering, etc etc).

I really liked how #2 ended...and can't wait for #3!

Ditto

ala wendersfan I always chose cracking open a book over a comic. Not enough words in a comic. Then again I maxed out the reading level test (tested at 12th grade reading level) in 5th grade. :shrug: So I think I skipped over the comic book phase. I pretty much went from Hardy Boys to LOTR.

That said I've got a vague familiarity with comics since D&D, MtG, etc tended to end up with you hanging out with a certain amount of the comic book types.

madcougar 04-24-07 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
The best way to describe it is to say that I was never into 'childish' (no negative connotation implied) things as a child. I've basically been an adult from around the time I learned to read at age four or whatever.

I'm always amused at this train of thought. A few years ago I went into my LCS and was annoyed at the fact there were several kids there looking around, being loud and annoying. I thought to myself "What the hell are these kids doing here?"

Why is that funny? Well it was a comic book store but the fact that there were kids there was unusual enough for me to comment on. I hardly ever see kids in the comic book store I frequent and I've been buying comic books for 20 years.

scarredgod 05-10-07 08:03 PM

just read the first 3 issues and definitely not impressed, in fact im very disappointed. just as a comic, i guess theyre ok, but billing it as season 8, the real continuation of an excellent series just isnt working for me.

i dont see any of what i read so far as any kind of natural progression from the show. these were kids from sunnydale and they did great things, but now they are highly organized with helicopters and high tech equipments and managing groups of 500 around the world? i know you can do alot more in comic form than you can ever pay for on a weekly tv show but this is just wayyy out thereand im not buying it.

Joss's writing is pretty poor on this as well, and the art, apart from the very nice covers (especially #3 with Willow) is the same poor art the old buffy comics always had. i will keep supporting the comic and read it but i cant see this, or feel this, as a real season 8.

MovieExchange 05-10-07 11:51 PM

I thought the writing in issues 1 & 2 was solid, but 3 fell apart.

The whole thing with the army of slayers still pisses me off. I don't care how many times Whedon's disciples try to excuse it, it's a glaring plot hole in season 7. When the potentials are gathered, we're told several times that this small group is all that remains of the potential slayers. Maybe one or two more that the mystics missed, but that's it. Then conveniently at the end of the series there are thousands of potentials all over the globe, which pretty much invalidates most of what happened during the season. What use is it for the First to kill Buffy, Faith, and the potentials that are in Buffy's home if there are thousands more still out there?