Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

No more 50% off Omnibii at DCBS!?!?!

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

No more 50% off Omnibii at DCBS!?!?!

Old 04-01-07, 12:21 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,920
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more 50% off Omnibii at DCBS!?!?!

Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol 2 is $59.99 this month. It's only $10 but it makes me a little sad. Something about getting $50 off a huge book like that felt like such a steal! I hope it's not like this for other ones in the future including DC Absolutes!

On another note I still have not received Daredevil Standard Edition Omnibus from them because of a shortage from the distributer. Sounds like that might be the rarer version this time around.
Old 04-01-07, 01:15 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was about to complain, but then I saw that pretty much all of the trades I was planning on buying are 50% off this month. Sucks that the Omnibus isn't half off, but I'll take the other deals with a smile.
Old 04-01-07, 09:16 PM
  #3  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just glad to see Planet Hulk at 50% off; I was counting on that.
Old 04-02-07, 12:03 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,836
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Since it's the second volume, they might not have discounted it.

DCBS and others don't discount every collection, just select ones. If they discounted the first volume, they might've done that as an incentive for people to pick it up and any subsequent volumes (at a slightly higher price).

Also, might it be possible that the larger internet retailers receive some kind of special deals on certain items from the publishers? I notice that a lot of the 50% and 75% off specials from these sellers tend to overlap.
Old 04-02-07, 07:54 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbm00
I was just glad to see Planet Hulk at 50% off; I was counting on that.
Cool.
Old 04-02-07, 08:22 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also, might it be possible that the larger internet retailers receive some kind of special deals on certain items from the publishers? I notice that a lot of the 50% and 75% off specials from these sellers tend to overlap.
Not just online retailers, but all retailers. When a publishing house makes a push, they really make a push. One thing I notice a lot, for example, is that particular issues are found in the back issue bins all the time. Was it a bad comic? Nope. Most likely it was given at an incentive price and there were extra copies printed.

The interesting thing is when you find certain retailers not always passing that discount on to their customers. I think more B&M stores need to be like DCBS and sell their books (at least the collections where price is more of an issue) at steeper discounts if they got a bigger discount to begin with.
Old 04-02-07, 08:46 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,836
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Not just online retailers, but all retailers. When a publishing house makes a push, they really make a push. One thing I notice a lot, for example, is that particular issues are found in the back issue bins all the time. Was it a bad comic? Nope. Most likely it was given at an incentive price and there were extra copies printed.
From time to time publishers will overship certain books; it's generally done when they have a title that isn't selling up to expectations and they want people to try it. So they'll overship the books to their Diamond accounts... if a store ordered 10 copies of Crapman #17, the publisher would have 15 or 20 sent to that store at no extra cost. The idea is that it will give the store extra shelf copies, or they can give them away to customers who might be interested but aren't already reading it.And, if I'm not mistaken, overships like this are generally unannounced or announced shortly before the book in question ships. (Probably a sound policy since if a retailer knows he needs 10 copies of something it would prevent him from only ordering 5 and getting the 10 he needed at no extra cost.)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-02-07 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 09:00 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,543
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just go hold one of these editions at your LCS, look at the price, and feel much better
Old 04-02-07, 09:21 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
From time to time publishers will overship certain books; it's generally done when they have a title that isn't selling up to expectations and they want people to try it. So they'll overship the books to their Diamond accounts... if a store ordered 10 copies of Crapman #17, the publisher would have 15 or 20 sent to that store at no extra cost. The idea is that it will give the store extra shelf copies, or they can give them away to customers who might be interested but aren't already reading it.And, if I'm not mistaken, overships like this are generally unannounced or announced shortly before the book in question ships. (Probably a sound policy since if a retailer knows he needs 10 copies of something it would prevent him from only ordering 5 and getting the 10 he needed at no extra cost.)
You know, when I was writing my post, something was itching in the back of my mind about this. So maybe the incentives aren't what happens, it's just an overshipment. So who knows how or whey retailers give discounts.
Old 04-04-07, 08:57 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm happy to see DCBS finally update their site to have bags/boards and shipping options being a part of checkout instead of the accessories section.
Old 04-04-07, 01:27 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Graftenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: sector 2814
Posts: 2,022
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I'm happy to see DCBS finally update their site to have bags/boards and shipping options being a part of checkout instead of the accessories section.

If you go to the profile section you can save it there.
Old 04-04-07, 01:32 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's this? You can save shipping and bag options?

Edited: Holy cow! You can also select UPS instead of DHL. I'm one happy mo-fo. Yeeee haw.
Old 04-04-07, 01:38 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,288
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Is UPS really that much better than DHL?
Old 04-04-07, 01:45 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exharrison
^Is UPS really that much better than DHL?
I'm not sure if they are or not, but I'm sure going to try. I've had way too many problems with DHL. Plus, I get my books on Monday or Tuesday...maybe UPS can get 'em to me by Friday? It's worth a shot.
Old 04-04-07, 03:04 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,288
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
I'm not sure if they are or not, but I'm sure going to try. I've had way too many problems with DHL. Plus, I get my books on Monday or Tuesday...maybe UPS can get 'em to me by Friday? It's worth a shot.
I actually got mine this past Friday. DCBS shipped out on Wednesday instead of Thursday like normal. I was impressed.
Old 04-04-07, 10:10 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,920
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow I didnt see the UPS option. Cool.

I have to agree now that its because it is FF Vol 2 that it is not 50% off. I expect that Amazing Fantasy will be 50% off. Seems like smaller volumes usually are not. I dont think Silver Surfer was, but don't recall off hand. I have heard we are getting a 9 issue Devil Dinosaur Omni.

I love these things. And the Absolutes. Just don't see myself buying the Wildcats Absolute or the Amazing Fantasy Omni.
Old 04-10-07, 02:33 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 106
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the option to choose UPS over DHL? I'm at checkout and I just see standard vs. weekly or bi weekly shipping.
Old 04-10-07, 03:05 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim, click YOUR ACCOUNT and then click PROFILE. It's an option there.
Old 04-10-07, 03:58 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 106
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the pricing difference if you are using monthly shipping, if you happen to know? Thanks for the instructions too.
Old 04-10-07, 09:53 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 317
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to try UPS as I usually don't get my comics till the following Tues or Wed each month
Old 04-11-07, 09:35 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
On another note I still have not received Daredevil Standard Edition Omnibus from them because of a shortage from the distributer. Sounds like that might be the rarer version this time around.
I haven't got mine either, but I just checked DCBS and it shows as Item Filled, Not Shipped Yet. I'm happy about that, but I guess I'll have to wait until May to get it.
Old 04-11-07, 02:22 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,920
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine shipped today. Guess they got them all in. I ended up buying it in Austin a few weeks ago at that comic store I like there. Guess I will have to sell this one.
Old 04-11-07, 02:43 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure in the long run, it'll show that both covers are in equal ratios, or at the very least that neither is exactly rare.

I sure love the ominboo or omnibii or whatever. Huge, beautiful books.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.