Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Old 12-09-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
InStockTrades has the Marvel Universe by Chris Claremont Omnibus for 70% off at $37.50. That thing must not be selling. Granted, it's a mixed bag of nearly random comics.

Collects WAR IS HELL #9-15, BLACK GOLIATH #2-5, CAPTAIN BRITAIN (1976) #1-10, DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) #38-45, MAN-THING (1979) #4-8 and #10-11, FANTASTIC FOUR VS. X-MEN #1-4, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS II #1-5, MEKANIX #1-6, BIG HERO 6 #1-5, and material from X-MEN UNLIMITED (1993) #36
That is a weird hodge-podge of comics in there.

DC can get away with doing those for marquee guys like Moore and Gaiman, but Claremont isn't in that league. I grew up on his X-Men, but I can't say I ever felt any desire to track down everything he ever wrote.
Old 12-09-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

I only really go for random collections like that when it is for an artist I love like John Byrne.
Old 12-10-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,095 Likes on 764 Posts

That Claremont omnibus is pretty ill-conceived. I hadn't planned on buying it, but I might bite at that price just for FF vs. X-Men and Captain Britain. I assume FF vs. X-Men's inclusion here means Marvel doesn't plan on including it in any of the X-Men omnibuses.
Old 12-11-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 901 Likes on 760 Posts

The only thing that interests me in the Claremont omnibus is that Contest of Champions mini-series, which I've never read.
Old 12-11-17, 08:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

It is a tempting hodgepodge of works I'm interested in reading, but I think a fair amount of it is already in my Comixology account, and the stuff doesn't scream "must own in omnibus" to me, no matter how cheap. Well, $20 and I'd be in for sure....
Old 12-30-17, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Found the motherload of DC trade paperbacks at Ollie's.
The trades have been marked down to $3.99, and include various Showcase and Sandman collections.
Old 01-08-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Amazon.Ca has a good deal still going on the
Jaime Hernandez Artist Edition Jaime Hernandez Artist Edition

With the current exchange rate and after shipping it comes to just under $70- even less if your CC allows foreign conversion automatically.
Old 01-08-18, 03:35 PM

I’m scared to not go to Ollie’s, but more scared to go.
Old 01-08-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 436 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Found the motherload of DC trade paperbacks at Ollie's.
The trades have been marked down to $3.99, and include various Showcase and Sandman collections.
Hmmm, never seen trades at ollies, just random grab bags
Old 01-09-18, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

My Ollie finally got the DC trades and the prices range from $1.99 to $12.99. I picked some but I have to be honest, this is one of the biggest FUs given by DC Comics to comic book retailers. Every year, retailers re-stock trades in their stores through the Marvel quarterly sales, in which they discount overstock and out of print stuff to 75% or more. For years, we had asked DC to do the same as they only discount overstock comics and collectibles like statues and action figures but not trades. DC's excuse was that they didn't have overstock of trades. Well, they fucked retailers by selling overstock to Ollie's ( and rumor is that Five Below is getting some too) and never gave comic book stores a chance to get any of these trades. The private DC retailers forum on Facebook has been lit up with retailers from all over the country complaining to both DC and Diamond for these shenanigans and it is certainly going to be a big topic at the next retailer's forum event.
Old 01-09-18, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen a few early hints of this DC sale at one Ollie's location. They had DC Showcases (the black-and-white reprints of largely Silver Age material), Superman in the Seventies trade for $3.99, dozens of a new 52 Justice League hardcover, and a variety of ten New 52 titles packaged together for $5.99. Some of the inventory was in largely mint condition, some was closer to Very Good.

I would largely warn people away from the assorted ten-packs of random comics picked from different companies. They usually include one or two interesting issues on the front and back, while tossing in a lot of random garbage for the issues that aren't visible.

They also had a few Irredeemable and Incorruptible trades, which might have been nice if I hadn't already bought the premier editions.

I could see where comic book stores would be frustrated at this inventory dump, but from DC's perspective I imagine it's about expanding comics beyond the traditional, hardcore fanbase. I saw a young girl looking at these comics that I don't think has ever stepped foot inside a comic book store. Going by the comments to her mother, she was drawn in by seeing Batman and Wonder Woman on the cover.
Old 01-09-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

As a kid, I think grab bags made sense (and I would read random comics off a stack all day long in the summertime), but in this day and age, where issues in general don't stand alone, I think it's generally a bad experience for the consumer no matter what the price. But I can understand the retailers being upset by not even having a chance at the cheaper trades.
Old 01-09-18, 02:41 PM
Banned

I've seen a few early hints of this DC sale at one Ollie's location. They had DC Showcases (the black-and-white reprints of largely Silver Age material), Superman in the Seventies trade for $3.99, dozens of a new 52 Justice League hardcover, and a variety of ten New 52 titles packaged together for $5.99. Some of the inventory was in largely mint condition, some was closer to Very Good.

I would largely warn people away from the assorted ten-packs of random comics picked from different companies. They usually include one or two interesting issues on the front and back, while tossing in a lot of random garbage for the issues that aren't visible.

They also had a few Irredeemable and Incorruptible trades, which might have been nice if I hadn't already bought the premier editions.

I could see where comic book stores would be frustrated at this inventory dump, but from DC's perspective I imagine it's about expanding comics beyond the traditional, hardcore fanbase. I saw a young girl looking at these comics that I don't think has ever stepped foot inside a comic book store. Going by the comments to her mother, she was drawn in by seeing Batman and Wonder Woman on the cover.
I don't mind if they wanted to dump books at Ollies or any other place, but I do mind comic book stores not being given a chance to get some of these books too, which are highly expensive when we buy them directly through Diamond. I agree that DC and Marvel should expand their visibility to stores but they have shot themselves on the foot by not selling books on newsstands anymore. For example, DC stopped selling newsstands books at B&N since November. I don't think there are any stores left that sell either Marvel or DC Comics newsstand issues.
Old 01-09-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Wait, I remember Hamilton Books blowing out a lot of DC hardcovers last year (or the year before), so DC definitely liquidates books (or maybe Hamilton gets it from stores who are liquidating themselves?)
Old 01-09-18, 04:51 PM
Banned

I believe that Hamilton books are from the Hastings closing. Stuff that either Diamond brokered with them or they acquired in the bankruptcy
Old 01-09-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

So jealous of anyone who has a Ollie's near them right now.
Old 01-10-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to Ollie's today and came back nearly $300 poorer.

Anyone into DC hardcovers and trades, leave work right now.

This is the craziest sale I've ever seen on comic book trades in my life. It's going to become legendary very, very quickly.

DC Showcases for $2.99, massive amounts of sealed DC hardcovers for under $5, tons of New 52 trades for $3.99, more than you can imagine.

This one location had hundreds of DC trades brought in for this sale. There were so many that it had its own area, away from the other books.

There wasn't so much Batman beyond the Neal Adams Batman volume and a few of the deluxe Bronze Age collections, but tons of various Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, JSA, Green Lantern, & Captain Marvel.

I picked up the only omnibus I saw, the Stan Lee Imagines the DC Universe Omnibus for $12.
Old 01-11-18, 06:39 PM

I spent about $250 in my now three trips to Oliies.

Picked up that omnibus PS got, all the Showcases, and a dozen or so more. Was tempted by several other books, but put them back knowing that I’d only be buying them because they were a deal, and wasn’t likely to read them.

I hate posting pictures here since losing the easy photobucket process I was used to, an extra step or two is needed to post them now, but I’ll try to get some done tonight.

Obviously, any DC fan with an Ollies nearby needs to check it out.
Old 01-11-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thankfully I only spent $100. There was some really good finds but a lot of random stuff(Volume 3 or 2) but some was a steal like Batman/Superman Public Enemies DVD/Book combo for $5, Art of Brian Bolland Hardcover for $5 and the Neal Adams Batman and Jim Aparo Hardcovers for $5. Wonder how long until the piece of shit resellers go in and buy up remaining stock.
Old 01-11-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

I wish there was an Ollie’s anywhere near me.
Old 01-11-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went back today. It is a little maddening how they'll have volumes 2 and 4 of a run and nothing else.

Taking a little more time, I did come across some JSA and Batman volumes that I had overlooked. This location didn't seem to have many Wonder Woman or Green Lantern books at all. They also had a few non-obvious things like the Smallville TV show comic, Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, and books from the Wildstorm imprint.

Most everything is coming from the New 52 publishing era, though a few trades from the late 2000s are included. The condition of most items are very, very good. This is unsold inventory that may have never left the warehouse.
Old 01-12-18, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Popped in yesterday. The DC stuff was on a 8' x 8' island with books stacked on the bottom, middle shelf, and on top. The top was magazine rack style so books were three rows deep, upright.

Saw a few things I might have picked up in years/months past, but the only thing I might go back for is the Young Love Showcase. Those were at least four deep so I doubt they'll run out anytime soon. Most of the other stuff I was interested in (Bronze and Silver age material) was from DC's hodgepodge days of "Greatest Stories..." collections. At this point, I'm really digging their consecutive run Gold, Silver and Bronze Age Ominibus and trade series. Don't have much enthusiasm for miscellaneous samplers anymore, at any price.
Old 01-12-18, 06:37 AM

Seems like stores are getting different inventory, and I’ve also read reports of stores being completely bought out by one person.
Old 01-12-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
Seems like stores are getting different inventory, and I’ve also read reports of stores being completely bought out by one person.
That sounds plausible. I could see a comic book store/dealer scooping up everything.

An even crazier deal would be if you had the 15% off coupon. New members to the Ollie's rewards card get a coupon that works on your entire purchase.
Old 01-12-18, 01:43 PM
Banned

That sounds plausible. I could see a comic book store/dealer scooping up everything.

An even crazier deal would be if you had the 15% off coupon. New members to the Ollie's rewards card get a coupon that works on your entire purchase.
There are lots of comic book stores buying from Ollies since Thursday, mostly because the just received a 15% off Valentines coupon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.