Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Anyone miss single issue stories

Old 02-07-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone miss single issue stories

Anyone else miss the time when comicbook stories were only one issue long? now it seems you have to buy 5 or 10 issues to get a single story. It used to be something special when a story lasted for 2 or 4 issues; now just about every story is at least 4 to 6 issues long.

I know they write or the trade paperback and hardcover market now and it supposed to increase sales to have multiple issue story arcs; but you can't go to a store for a comic if you want a quick read because the newstand may only have part 2 or 4 or whatever there. I would think that would decrease sales more than increase them.
Old 02-07-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like both styles really. And that's why I have my back issues of stuff like showcase and spotlight.
Old 02-07-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny thing is that I walked into a convenience store about 20 years ago for a "quick" read as I was going to have to wait for my girlfriend to get off of work for about 15 minutes. I ended up buying the first part of a Batman story. I was curious enough that I visited a local comic book store a few days later to discover that the next two issues were already out. To make a long story short, this one purchase was the beginning of a very expensive hobby.
Old 02-07-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoy single issue stories very much, but overall I'd say I prefer the big, epic stories that you see nowadays. One of the titles I read monthly now - the Spirit - does stories in single issues, so it's a nice change of pace.
Old 02-07-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I miss them. I'd be more apt to pick up Superman or Action Comics or Batman or Detective Comics if I didn't have to pick up 6 other cross over titles to complete one story line. It's something that turned me off of comic books. It was one thing when they were cheaper, but at three bucks a pop, I don't want multi issue story arcs over several titles to complete one story.
Old 02-07-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm the opposite. Single stories were great back in the day. Now most are filler issues with different teams, due to scheduling, or a shuffle. They seem to stick out more now, then before when teams were similar in style.

Save for Dini's recent stint on Detective, I don't feel like I get my moneys worth on a quick stand alone.
Old 02-07-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I miss them. I'd be more apt to pick up Superman or Action Comics or Batman or Detective Comics if I didn't have to pick up 6 other cross over titles to complete one story line. It's something that turned me off of comic books. It was one thing when they were cheaper, but at three bucks a pop, I don't want multi issue story arcs over several titles to complete one story.
Agreed. I read a lot of TPBs lent to me from a coworker, and the indicia always says "First published in Title 1 issue 54, Title 2 issues 123-125, Title 3 issue 12, title 4 issues 98, 100, and Title 5 issue 174." I know the main reasons they do that are to tie-in and crossover, and of course to get you interested in another series; and sometimes that's what happened. But it's almost more of an annoyance.
Obviously it depends on how the story is written--I'd rather read a superb one-issue story than a stretched out, uninteresting 5 issue story--but in general I lean more toward shorter stories, maybe stretching over a couple-three issues. Each issue should be able to stand alone, but leave you with tempting cliffhangers.
Then again, reading TPBs, I'm fine with multi-issue, multi-title stories; if my coworker's willing to buy them and lend them, I'm willing to read them.
And yeah, it seems like virtually every title is priced higher than an 'impulse purchase' nowadays, even when most of us probably have bigger incomes than we did 'back in the day' [I'm sure we have more expenses as well]. Gone is the day when a ten-spot, or one lawnmowing, would net you a bag full of books and a whole weekend's reading, now that buys 3-4 issues and an hour or so. That used to be the challenge to trying an indie--"Two bucks? And it's not even in color?! I'll have to think about this..."
Old 02-08-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Try Fell. Great single issue stories and cheap.
Old 02-08-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I miss single issue stories that contain a nice little complete story. This seems to be a lost art in todays comic world. I think the "bloat up the pages to fill a trade" philosophy is one of the worst trends to happen to comics in recent years. It wouldn't be so bad if the newer comic arcs had stories that warranted multiple parts. But many of them don't (or don't need as many pages as they use). It's really obvious if you look at some older 1-shot issues, and see how much story they used to be able to fit in them.
Old 02-10-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I miss single stories too, I've made this rant before, but I hate it when I buy an issue that's part _ of _ .

A few titles that are pretty good and self contained:
Detective Comics
Jonah Hex
Fell
Blade
The Spirit
Old 05-10-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Anyone miss single issue stories

I've been going back through my comic collection lately, and I got to thinking about this issue. I wasn't terribly surprised there was already a thread about it. I think what I miss are stories that don't show off a writer's knowledge of minutiae and obscure characters, more than anything else. It's one thing to reward loyal readers by coming back to a character or plot thread; it's another to cram an issue full of dusted off references. It's sort of the same problem with watching Family Guy or some of Tarantino's movies: they're so caught up in name-checking and referencing other things that they forget to tell their own stories.

Two of my favorite standalone issues were both Batman stories. One is Detective Comics $651, "A Bullet for Bullock" which was later adapted as an episode of Batman: The Animated Series. It was written by Chuck Dixon and was one of the last issues published before the whole "Knightfall" story began. The other is Batman: Shadow of the Bat #13, "The Nobody." In it, a homeless guy who witnesses Batman in action discovers that Bruce Wayne is his real identity and he goes to confront Bruce at work.

That said, I always enjoyed Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, where the creative teams changed regularly and continuity wasn't terribly important. It was a chance for different writers and artists to team up and tell their own Batman stories. Most stories were 3-5 issues in length. I think my favorite was told in issues #46-49, "Heat." Catman is stalking women during a sweltering heat wave, and Batman and Catwoman reluctantly team up to find him and stop him; Batman because that's what he does, and Catwoman because she's been implicated in the attacks.
Old 05-15-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I miss single issue stories. But this writing for the omnibus is not a trend I like. When they started making checklists to follow one storyline, and then pretty soon the checklist came in parts, I stopped buying DC and Marvel for good.
Old 05-15-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Recently there was a one-issue stand alone story in I believe Wolverine Weapon X, that was one of the best single Marvel stories I've read in years & I am not a big Wolverine or X-men fan.

The 2 self-contained Darwyn Cooke issues on Jonah Hex (especially the first one) are as good as any one-shot stories I've ever read.

A well done self-contained one-shot story is indeed awesome.
Old 05-17-10, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the great things about trades is collecting stories that cross over into different books. It gets ridiculous when you need multiple trades for something like House of M, though.
Old 05-17-10, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
One of the great things about trades is collecting stories that cross over into different books. It gets ridiculous when you need multiple trades for something like House of M, though.
Well I figured out that the only House of M story worth reading was the main miniseries itself. The rest of them just kinda sucked
Old 05-18-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just thinking this last night when looking through Marvel Previews and they were advertising their next big thing to rock the Marvel Universe. I used to love multiple issue stories, but I find myself hating the constant earth shattering 12 title encompassing storylines these days. I now really enjoy a good one issue story.
Old 06-01-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
On a side note, I preordered a House of M trade, thinking I was getting the main miniseries, only to find out that it was some side series. Great.

I think something like All Star Superman was great, there was some cohesion but you could pick up any individual issue (and be totally confused just like the rest of us). And Astro City always had great individual issues between longer storylines, same with Sandman.

I do like longer storylines, or at least some overarching storyline, like Claremont did so well back in the early Uncanny X-men run. It gets out of hand when there are crossovers, even moreso when there are crossovers every few months, which ruins the flow of comics like X-factor.
Old 06-15-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Single issue stories?

Hell, I really miss single issues with multiple stories... Mystery in Space, Strange Adventures, etc.

That was the day.

Writers today don't know how to write... they only know how to vomit up soap opera in spandex.
Old 06-16-10, 10:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I too miss the anthology titles. Back in the 70s they were always my favorites. Adventure, House of Mystery, Superman Family, Batman Family, etc
Old 06-19-10, 10:12 AM

Funny. On the few occasions I have picked up a single issue story, I have found myself wanting the story to continue.

My only real annoyance with ongoing stories is that I'm impatient to read more. By the time I'm able to pick up the latest issues, I have to remember what is was that I read last month. I guess that's why I tend to favor collections and volumes.