DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Best place to buy back issues online? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/489878-best-place-buy-back-issues-online.html)

lukewarmwater 01-17-07 02:50 PM

Best place to buy back issues online?

Dcbservice and midtowncomics are normally the places I go, but they dont have a lot of back issues. I've used milehighcomics a few times, but they've marked up a lot of books and is getting too pricey.

What are some other good online retailers that have a decent selection of back issues? Are there any?

dadaluholla 01-17-07 02:56 PM

You can buy them from me. What are you looking for?
:)
I have bought some stuff from Mycomicshop before. It didn't seem bad. I look forward to seeing people's suggestions though, since I would like to finish up my GI Joe run at an affordable price.

sinned 01-17-07 03:02 PM

There are always coupon codes for Mile High Comics (Back Issues only). This week the code is STAYWARM (40% off). Get on the newsletter list to get the codes. Mile High is also how they price their back issues so with the code its about what their back issue prices should be (but that's beside the point). I wish the codes would apply to TPBs, I would be spending a ton more money there.

RichardW 01-18-07 09:19 AM

I've bought from mycomicshop a few times and haven't had any problems.

Josh-da-man 01-18-07 03:13 PM

Mile High Comics isn't too bad if as long as you can get in on one of their codeword sales. Though they do tend to price high and medium-high demand titles and older comics quite high. You can get the codewords by signing up for their newsletter.

I've only used Mycomicshop a couple of times and wasn't particularly satisfied with them. They couldn't fill my order fully -- and, even after I received my incomplete order they still had the titles that were out of stock listed as available on their website. A few of the books were mis-graded as well, so if you're a stickler for grading who doesn't want a VG+ passed off as NM, you might want to use a little discretion before ordering from them.

Ebay is an option, too, though it's a crap shoot. Sellers tend to over-estimate the grades of their books and you never know how something is going to be packaged for shipment. I've also been shorted a few times on large runs of books. The most irritating time was when I ordered a complete run of 70 American Flagg books and got shorted about four of them.

lukewarmwater 01-18-07 05:09 PM

does mycomicshop offer any deals or codes?

mycomicshop has more of the back issues I want, but is a bit more expensive then milehigh, with the 40% off.

I really miss quarter bins. Those were awesome.

Josh-da-man 01-20-07 11:21 AM

If you sign up for Mycomicshop's e-mail newsletter, they usually run some kind of weekly deal like 10% off of all Wildstorm Comics, 10% off of all Star Wars comics, etc.

Red Hood 03-02-18 02:49 PM

Re: Best place to buy back issues online?

Sorry for bringing this thread from the dead, but I was wondering, how do people still shop at Mile High Comics? A friend of mine gave me a $60 credit he had. I went to their website and it still the same format, crappy search engine and all, from when they opened their online store in the late 90's. Then, if you are able to find something, it's ridiculously overpriced, even with their 60% off codeword. The cherry on top is that they seem to have taken out almost every key issue imaginable. I went in there looking for some Marvel key issues, and none of them were even listed. Is it normal for them to take down key issues so people don't buy them with the discount codewords? How is this company still in business?

PhantomStranger 03-04-18 03:17 PM

I thought Mile High Comics was overpriced even back in the 1990s for fairly common stuff. Though I've heard their back issues are generally in fantastic condition.

jjcool 03-06-18 11:53 AM

Midtown has a special today on back issues. 40% off online. Code is "CLASSIC2"

TheBang 03-07-18 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13282047)
Sorry for bringing this thread from the dead, but I was wondering, how do people still shop at Mile High Comics?

They have the largest online inventory of back issues, bar none. If you absolutely need an issue, and no one else has it, are you willing to pay their price? Enough people are.

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13282047)
A friend of mine gave me a $60 credit he had. I went to their website and it still the same format, crappy search engine and all, from when they opened their online store in the late 90's.

This is true. Putting their entire inventory online in late 1997 though, was incredibly forward-thinking. The downside is that converting that legacy system to something more modern would probably be incredibly expensive, for little tangible benefit.

Is it normal for them to take down key issues so people don't buy them with the discount codewords?
I think it's just a case of them not having any stock of those key issues. Obviously, someone was willing to pay their price for them.