Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Post Your Weekly Comics Pull-List

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Re: Post Your Weekly Comics Pull-List

Originally Posted by davidh777
I only keep up with current series via trade: Invincible, Walking Dead, Lazarus, Saga. And I'm even behind on the last two.

Now that I'm digital, I could go current and not have to deal with the floppies, but single-issue pricing is so steep.
This does nothing for keeping up in real time, but I feel like Image has really spoiled me with their constant digital sales. Right now the only titles I follow for Image in physical form are Invincible and Morning Glories, and only because I collect the large hardcovers (I collect Walking Dead in that format too but I haven't picked up the last couple of volumes since I'm way behind). But because of digital sales I'm pretty up to date (as in I own them, not that I've read them) with Saga, Lazarus, East of West, Paper Girls, Monstress, etc., and I'll probably go for Deadly Class and Black Science when the next sale rolls around. But I really should support some of these a bit more than 99c an issue.
Old 11-04-16, 03:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
As an aside, do you like Micronauts and Rom, Trevor? I got a few issues of both, then it got tied into some ridiculous crossover and I realized a lot of my attachment to the characters is their context in the Marvel Universe. And I also realized I don't need or want all the Hasbro properties in a shared universe. I'm giving MASK a try, but having read the Revolution issue it also seems too far removed from the original property.
I'm generally at least a year or ten behind in anything I read, but I did read the first three issues of Micronauts. It wasn't great, but was decent enough for me to keep hope alive. I regretfully went all-in on that Revolution crossover, which I expect to hate, but it includes the Micronauts so I had to buy it. I'm hoping to do an IDW marathon the next Challenge compliant month to see what I think of the universe. I'm probably dropping ROM and any tie-ins starting next month though.
Old 11-05-16, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

This does nothing for keeping up in real time, but I feel like Image has really spoiled me with their constant digital sales. Right now the only titles I follow for Image in physical form are Invincible and Morning Glories, and only because I collect the large hardcovers (I collect Walking Dead in that format too but I haven't picked up the last couple of volumes since I'm way behind). But because of digital sales I'm pretty up to date (as in I own them, not that I've read them) with Saga, Lazarus, East of West, Paper Girls, Monstress, etc., and I'll probably go for Deadly Class and Black Science when the next sale rolls around. But I really should support some of these a bit more than 99c an issue.
I've considered switching to digital for my Image purchases. Since the TPBs come out so infrequently, I get the new one then try to reread the old one first as a refresher. That'd be much easier on digital. But I've been collecting them for so long that it'd be a big adjustment, and the horizon is in sight for Invincible already. It'd be easier with the new series Lazarus and Saga, though, and I kind of started with the latter already because I got the last (I think) one in a Humble Bundle (or other brand).
Old 11-05-16, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Current Pull List:

Action Comics
Superman
Superwoman
Supergirl
Wonder Woman
Green Lanterns
Suicide Squad
Future Quest
Death of Hawkman
Star Wars (dropping after #25)
Civil War II
Clone Conspiracy
Doctor Who: The Third Doctor
Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor
Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor
Doctor Who: The Eleventh Doctor
Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor
Torchwood
Afterlife With Archie
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
Bloodshot Reborn
Jupiter's Circle
Reborn
Heavy Metal
Old 11-05-16, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My List:

Black Science
Black Widow
The Goon - Not much of a commitment since we only get a story every couple years.
Harrow County - My current favorite book.
Lazarus
The Manhattan Projects - May drop since it rarely comes out and has lost some of its charm.
Paper Girls - May drop this one soon. Love the art, but the story isn't working for me
Saga
Sex Criminals
Southern Bastards - Caught up on the trades and just bought my first single issue today.
Stray Bullets - May switch to trades.
Velvet
Wonder Woman

I was reading The Flash but dropped it before the first post-Rebirth storyline ended. I always give the book a chance when they get a new writer but I haven't enjoyed the book in a long time.
Also dropped all of the Hellboy spinoffs after the main series ended.

I'd like to add Bitch Planet to my pull list but the second trade is taking so long to come out that I'll probably never catch up.
Old 11-05-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait Hellboy is done?
Old 11-05-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamblor187
I'd like to add Bitch Planet to my pull list but the second trade is taking so long to come out that I'll probably never catch up.
KSD and Fraction are the perfect couple because neither one can get a book out on time.
Old 11-05-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait Hellboy is done?
It ended with the recent Hellboy In Hell storyline. Mignola hasn't completely ruled out the idea of doing more Hellboy stories, but this is it for the foreseeable future. He has stated that if he does do more Hellboy, it would likely only be as the writer with someone else providing the art.

I believe that BPRDand Abe Sapien are also ending soon. (If they haven't ended already.) Hellboy and the BPRD, a prequel title, is still going. I've read a couple issues. It's entertaining but pretty forgettable.
Old 11-07-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

To those of you dealing with a LCS, how early do you add stuff to your pull and get any special orders in? Meaning, say you want to add a monthly title to your pull, and order any variants that may be coming out as well, when do you go in to the store and add it? I ask, because I was finally able to talk to the guy that handles the pulls and order at my LCS and he was real vague in his answer. Bottom line for me, is I want to get the shit that I want, when should I tell them "this is what I want". I've been trying to stay a month ahead. Meaning, I will bring my list for December in this week.

Are there options to do all this online? Should I switch my special orders to an online soure and keep my main pull at the LCS? Thoughts?
Old 11-08-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How much does your LCS charge for variants? You can order from DCBS but it's two months in advance, and the limited variants are naturally more expensive (but the normal cover variants are listed separately). Only worth it if you order enough that the discount outweighs the shipping cost, plus you'll naturally get your books a little late.
Old 11-08-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

How much does your LCS charge for variants? You can order from DCBS but it's two months in advance, and the limited variants are naturally more expensive (but the normal cover variants are listed separately). Only worth it if you order enough that the discount outweighs the shipping cost, plus you'll naturally get your books a little late.
LCS charges regular price for normal variants. The more limited variants are more expensive if they can get them. Many are based off how many titles they buy, and they may not buy enough to get them. I was checking out DCBS the other night, and I definitely like their pricing. What I don't like is not getting the books week of release. At least at the LCS I can see if they didnt get something release day or pretty darn close, so i have a shot of finding it elsewhere. $6.95 is 40% off 3 and a half DC books, and most weeks would be easily overcome. I may give them a shot, the problem being as you said they are two months out so a smooth transition may be difficult.