Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What are some hot selling comic books?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are some hot selling comic books?

I just realized that Ultimate Spider-Man #1 was selling in the ballpark of $120, and decided to unload my copy. I am in the process of maybe trying to pare down my collection and was wondering if anyone knew which back issue books are selling well these days. I did a google search, but that proved to be useless (or I'm an idiot - it could go either way).
Old 07-17-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously anything significant in the Spiderman line would go for a pretty penny nowadays with the Spidey movie as popular as it is. I've got the first appearance of both Venom and Carnage and I'm sure they would be worth some serious $$.
Old 07-18-04, 12:09 AM

I would go to a book store and pick a wizard or a comics buyers guide. They both have monthly price listings.Have you tried checking out ebay? how about www.webuycomcs.com
Old 07-18-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wizard is a overpriced mediocre at best price guide. Check out www.Comicspriceguide.com, it is a bigger and better price guide than Wizard. But ebay is your best bet for finding out market value of comics.

Have you ever heard of grading your comics? If you belive that you Ult Spiderman is truly NM/M, I would advise that you send it off to get graded. Because if you can get a 9.8 or higher grade, your comic will sell for much much more. But if it isn't a N/M comic don't get it graded, as only the high grade books sell for redicculous prices. Check out www.cgccomics.com for more info.

Most modern issues are worth cover price at best. Anything from the 90's boom, with the exception of very few low print run comics, isn't worth the paper it was printed on. Virtually all of the Image, Valiant, Marvel and DC, etc comics from that time are worth less than a can of coke. However recently, pre-unity Valiants in High Grade can fetch a decent price if you can find the right buyer.

Recent issues that are worth money include: Y-the last man 1-5, Fables 1-5, Ult Xmen early issues, Amazing X-men 1 Variant Covers, (though they have plummeted in value, especially the Cassady cover). Superman/Batman 1 will rise in Value, Batman 412 2nd print (the first of the uber cool Sketch cover issues), Early Teen Titans issues, especially #1 2nd printing (Turner Cover) and the 4th printing (Sketch version of 2nd printing).

Early Walking Dead issues are drawing good prices, because of low printruns and the fact that the writter Robert Kirkman is on the verge of becoming the industrys next big thing. Increadible Hulk 34 is valuable because it was the first issue written by Bruce Jones, though it's value will probabbly drop as Jones is leaving the series. HERO 1 is also cracking the $10 barrier, plus it is an excellent series that everybody should be reading.

With the exception of a few Ultra Rare Varient/Retailer Incentive books, no modrens are going to fetch what Ult Spiderman 1 is fetching. Of what I've listed Y-the last man 1, probably will sell for the highest, and that is about $40 max. The way to really make money off of modrens is to sell high (9.8 or higher) Grade books, and hope that some idiot will pay big money for it.
Old 07-19-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
*Chuckle* I knew Madcougar's nom de plume looked familiar (I won one of his Ebay auctions yesterday).
Old 07-19-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
*Chuckle* I knew Madcougar's nom de plume looked familiar (I won one of his Ebay auctions yesterday).
Yes I use "madcougar" for everything. eBay, DVDtalk, Chunckyladylovers, everything. Enjoy those Y The Last Man books by the way!

Thanks for the info MrBob. My Ultimate Spider-Man was VF. The strange thing is that it had this little scratch on the cover right on Spidey's left foot. Well I swear I've seen the exact same blemish on other eBay copies. I am aware of CGC but didn't see the point as the copy wouldn't have justified the cost of the grading.
Old 07-20-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Invincible.
Old 07-20-04, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't understand the insanity that is CGC.