Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Back! This Week's Comics (11/20-11/26)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 11-21-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm back after a year-long break from the information superhighway. It looks like this weekly post died in my absence, but all of us comic book nerds know that death is only temporary. (Just look at Superman!) So it's time to ressurect this thread. I'll try to start a new post every week (usually on Thursdays...occassionally on Wednesdays) as long as there's interest. Hopefully, we can get some good fanboy conversations started here. (Unfortunately, my time here will be a bit limited until I can figure out this whole cable modem debacle I've got going on right now.)

Anyway, this week I picked up....

Ultimate Spider-man #31 - I'm starting to bit concerned about Bendis. Writing 176 books each month seems to have resulted in a slight dip in the quality of all his titles, in my opinion. I will elaborate later in the week (after I slay the cable modem monster).

Daredevil #39 - See above comments about Bendis. Manuel Gutierrez's art looks good, but I miss Alex Maleev.

Y, The Last Man #5 - Is it as good as the hype says it is? I'm not so sure, but I've been enjoying it so far...with only a few minor complaints.

Lucifer #32 - This is a book that deserves a more in-depth review from me, but I'm still waiting to catch up on my few missing issues before I pass judgement. (In brief, it's a good book that doesn't quite live up to its potential.)

The Amazing Spider-Man #47 - Best Spidey book currently available. Straczynski was born to write this character. He brings humor and character development to a book that was lacking in both for a long, long time. And he's not afraid to make major changes that don't seem like quick-fixes or gimmicks to sell more copies.

The Incredible Hulk #47 - Who would've thought that "The Incredible Hulk" would end up being one of the best books on the stands? Not me. Glad that I was wrong about this one.

JLA/JSA Secret Files and Origins #1 - "Secret Files" books are almost always awful, but this one features a prelude to the upcoming JLA/JSA crossover written by Geoff Johns, who has recently shown that "Secret Files" can actually add to a story and characters instead of just being a mad grab for extra cash.

The "Question Of The Week" will return next week. (Hopefully.)

jim
Old 11-21-02, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HEY!, Good to have this thread back Gamblor. I'm always up for talkin' comics & the books I'm diggin' the most right now (Catwoman & Thor) are way different then what I was diggin when we used to post these threads. Unfortunately this was a pretty bad week for me comic book wise but here is what I picked up yesterday. Haven't read a thing yet though. . .

New X-men #134 - I don't think I've ever seen a comic suffer from art in my life more then this one. The rotating artists & pathetic fill-in efforts have ruined what I would otherwise consider a legendary run by Morrison on this comic. And this issue finally gives us a good fill-in job but all I care about is the month long wait for the return of the Amazing Frank Quietly.

Weapon X #3 - Yeah, it has a terrible name, a really cheesey premise, & well. . . some pretty bad characters. But I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the last issue & if this is anything similar this may be a really fun comic. I can't stand Jeanty's pencils though.

Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu #3 - Really diggin' this mini-series so far. But I just don't understand why it's under the Max banner, it's not violent at all & the few curses in it are really not needed.

The Incredible Hulk #47 - I can't wait until Immonen is off this book. His art hurts my eyes. Although I'm not a big Deodato fan either, at least Jones still has my interest.

Daredevil #39 - I feel like I'm just going through the motions with this book ever since Bendis took over. I have almost 400 issues of DD & right now I think that's the only reason I'm still getting it. I'm so sick of these long, pointless, drawn out storylines that go nowhere. Bendis has done nothing creative IMO on this book, he hasn't pushed DD forward one bit, he spent almost a full year in a story arc where the big deal was the outing of DD all to just have DD deny the whole thing in the end. What the hell is the point in that. And for the love of God create some new characters & supporting cast. Get back to some damn superhero stuff, show some talent & create some new damn characters, & hire an artist that knows how to dray action sequences. IF your going to make a comic like this issue, call it Matt Murdock: Attorney At Law & give it a new #1 since Marvel loves to do this so much.

Birds Of Prey #49 - I completely planned on dropping this book but since I read Gail Simone will be taking over I have to stick it out now. But this story arc has been terrible & based on this I have no clue why Terry Moore has received any critical praise at all.

The Art Of Sin City: Hardcover - Missed this one last week. This book rules. It has a original sketch in the front & the art looks stunning blown up on nice paper.

Last edited by Sessa17; 11-21-02 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-22-02, 06:14 PM

Okay, I got my Daredevil yesterday, and finished off most everything this morning:

Stormwatch: Team Achilles #5 - This book is great fun! I guess it's more enjoyable if you have a penchant for mil-tech stuff like I do... but whatever the case, if you're looking for a good, hard-edged team book, check this one out. One of the best first panels in recent memory this month. Oh, and it's got The Authority in it!

Black Panther #51 - So, apparently poor Dan Fraga couldn't swing a monthly book. The new guy, Lucas, works for me, though. If y'all haven't noticed yet, there's a whole new storyline going on now, minus T'challa. It's more of an urban crime tale revolving around a cop named Kasper. The White Wolf's still around, as is Lt. Tork. It's got some pretty cool action and dialogue so far... so I'm happy with the change.

Truth: Red White & Black #1 - This is interesting. Same format/price as Origin. In short, the story of a black man (or men) who were subjected to the Super Soldier process before Steve Rogers. Art is an unusual (for a Cap book) comedic style... but I enjoyed it. Slow start to the story... I have faith it'll be interesting, though.

Alias #16 - New storyline. I like Jessica, but those averse to something resembling a soap-opera might be put off. Cool ties to SHIELD this time, and we see more of Ant-Man. Also, Jessica gets to be a little bit of a badass.

Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target #1 - Hmm... not the biggest fan of Mr. Fabry's art here. For those who don't know, Bendis intended to end his story arc with a Bullseye showdown, but Kevin Smith whined like a little beyotch that he had been promised that duty, so Bendis couldn't use Bullseye. Instead, Kevin gets to write this rematch miniseries. It's an interesting enough start (though a bit tragic for my tastes), but seems to be a blatant attempt to get some of the movie imagery into a high-profile book. Not sure if I'll continue... but probably.

Green Arrow #18 - Green Arrow vs. Solomon Grundy. That's really all this book is; it's a VERY quick read. Great fight, though. I'm enjoying Meltzer's arc so far.

Superman: Day of Doom #1 - Already commented on here. I bought it for the Sienkiewicz credit, too. Looks nice. Lois is hot. I don't have the original Doomsday storyline, so I think I'll buy this whole mini. (#2 is already out, by the way)

Transformers: The War Within #2 - TF: Generation 1: The Origin. If you're a TF fan, I recommend this. The art here is less technical/on-model than in the other books, but I like it. I always loved the few chances we got to see the TF's in their Cybertronian vehicular forms, and there are plenty of those chances here. Learn how a statistician named Optimus became the greatest hero of all.

Point Blank #4 - Grifter digs deeper into the mystery of Lynch's 'accident'. For those who don't know, this is a mini based on the remnants of Team 7 and a few other Wildstorm characters, with Grifter and Lynch being the key players. Savant makes an appearance this issue, and we get to see our big bad...who is a favorite of mine. If you're a fan of old school Wildstorm, but you've grown up a bit, I recommend this mini. Good stuff...and I dig the art style.

Daredevil #39 - Unlike the reviewer above, I love this book. I guess I don't have a problem with Matt Murdock: Attorney at Law. I miss Maleev's art, but the new guy is alright. Love the plethora of cameos in the courtroom in this issue. I enjoyed this a lot more than The Target #1.

Still to read: Batman/Deathblow #3

Last edited by El Gray; 11-24-02 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-23-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
Excellent to see this thread back. Unfortunately I only get my comics by mail order once a month (but at a nice discount!) so I can't contribute this week, alas... but I enjoy reading them!
Old 11-24-02, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Cool thread. I wasn't familiar with this weekly[?] thread when you were doing it last year Gamblor187. And honestly, this is my second time venturing into the Book Talk forum, the first being this. I was thinking about doing something like this then but the lack of any responses to my questions & the fact that I don't always read my new comics the day [or week] that I get 'em convinced me it wasn't feasible. Anyways, enough rambling -- we're here now...so here's a small sampling of things i've read so far:

Superman: Day Of Doom #1 - Yes, I was there when Supes & the JLA had their asses handed to them by Doomsday way back when. So I really hope the remainder of this four issue mini doesn't recap everything that happened then. Unfortunately, based on this issue, it looks like that'll be the case. Fortunately [for me at least] I like the art. Dan Jurgens writes & pencils. But what does it for me is Bill Sienkiewicz's tracing...err...inking. My first exposure to Mr. Sienkiewicz's art was the Demon Bear saga in the New Mutants. I HATED it -- with a PASSION. As time went along, I appreciated it more & more. So much so that I can look back on those issues and realize how great they were.

Batman Family: Suicide King #4 - I don't know where I should start with this. The previous issues were okay but the whole idea of Bruce getting bamboozled into hiring Celia to run WayneCorp [in addition to an entire underground network] annoys me. But I digress. Anyways, this issue spotlights the Huntress. Oh yeah, it also features an appearance by Agent Cameron Chase . [Was I the only one that liked Chase?]

Ultimate Spider-Man #31 - Let me say this...i'm not a big fan of the "Ultimate" line. I do collect USM, the Ultimates & Ultimate X-Men though. Some storylines are entertaining, while other things are annoying. Gwen Stacy for one. But I did enjoy Ms. Van Dyne's appearance. Bagley's art continues to be solid.

New X-Men #134 - The cover by Ethan? Great. The story and interior art were so-so. The whole Beast Is Gay thing is IMO ridiculous and I didn't much care for the NEW "new mutants". I do agree with Sessa17 about the rotating artist thing being annoying. With the way the industry is today, i've come to expect it. The 'ol days of an artist doing 10-20 issues in a row are over and done. Though there are some exceptions but those are few and far between.

I still have a small stack to get to. I'll post 'em when i'm done [if anyone's interested]. Also, once I was finished typing it, I realized S-DoD #1 came out last week [D'oh!] but I felt I put some thought into it so i'd keep it up.
Old 11-24-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This week was also a really slow one for me as well. I only picked up one book.

Gotham Girls #4 Up to this point they've been kind of amusing. Silly but still amusing. With this issue though i think they finally got to me with the goofiness that actually goes nowhere in telling a story. Needless to say i'm kind of glad this is only a 5 part series.
Old 11-25-02, 07:37 AM

I haven't been to the comic shop yet this MONTH!, but I managed to pick up Shonen Jump #1 Saturday at a Suncoast Video store at the mall. I'm not into the Dragonball Z or Yugi Oh cartoons, but the comic was great. Weighing in at 288 pages for $4.95 it was definitely worthwhile and a surprisingly good read! I actually enjoyed all the stories, give it a shot!

Also look for Raijin Comics which is a more mature manga series.
Old 11-25-02, 06:17 PM

Welcome back Gamblor!

Eight months later, and I'm still only reading the trades. The reviews you're about to read were topical between six months and six years ago:

Lucifer: A Devil in the Gateway
Lucifer: Children and Monsters
Lucifer: A Dalliance with the Damned
Lucifer: Nirvana
Collect the Lucifer mini-series, issues 1-20 and the Nirvana one-shot.
The first trade is a little weak, but this is the strongest series going today. If you liked Sandman and aren't reading this series, you have only yourself to blame. I've actually been picking up the weekly issues just to support Mike Carey's work. (I have issues #21-31 sitting in an unread pile, while I struggle through a huge-but-dwindling pile of trades.)

Queen and Country: Operation: Broken Ground
Collects issues 1-4.
Well, I guess it was inevitable - I finally read something by Greg Rucka that I unreservedly enjoyed. I even went in with a bad attitude, but I couldn't maintain it. Another of Rucka's cookie-cutter femme fatales is the centerpiece of this series and I still couldn't stop turning the pages. Another highly recommended trade.

The Playboy
I Never Liked You
The Little Man
Collects various strips and stories from Yummy Fur.
The good news is that I discovered Chester Brown this week. The bad news is that I read just about everything he has in publication in about 4 hours. The third book is actually his short works from the time he started, so that's optional. You should consider the others as part of the core curriculum.

~~~

So, I'm still not sure that this is where my reviews belong, but I was too excited to see the thread return to restrain myself. I may limit my input to one review a week, or maybe I'll try to at least read more current trades.

Last edited by Al Infinitum; 11-25-02 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Al Infinitum

Lucifer: A Devil in the Gateway
Lucifer: Children and Monsters
Lucifer: A Dalliance with the Damned
Lucifer: Nirvana
Collect the Lucifer mini-series, issues 1-20 and the Nirvana one-shot.
The first trade is a little weak, but this is the strongest series going today. If you liked Sandman and aren't reading this series, you have only yourself to blame. I've actually been picking up the weekly issues just to support Mike Carey's work. (I have issues #21-31 sitting in an unread pile, while I struggle through a huge-but-dwindling pile of trades.)
I have all the trades and most of the single issues from 21-31. I'm holding off on reading these single issues until I can track down the few that I'm missing.

I'm not sure that I would agree that this is the strongest series going today. However, it is quite good and definitely worthy of more attention. It is also, by far, the best thing that anyone has ever done with a Sandman character. (Other than Neil Gaiman, of course.)

Although I enjoy the book, I keep waiting for it to move to the next level. It reminds me very much of the first "Sandman" TPB ("Preludes & Noctures") and Alan Moore's first "Saga of the Swamp Thing" TPB. (I'm not saying that Mike Carey rips off either of these writers. He has a very original voice and is definitely someone whose work I will be following closely. Rather, "Lucifer" seems similar in tone and in scope to those early issues of "Sandman" and "Swamp Thing". A very high compliment coming from me.) Unfortunately, this is what makes the book slightly disappointing, in my opinion. While those early stories by Gaiman and Moore are very good, they don't compare to the greatness of later storylines. They're good beginning, but they feel like both authors are still trying to figure things out and decide where they want to go.

The problem with "Lucifer" (and it's not really a problem as much as it is a failure to meet my very high expectations) is that, while it is a very good book, it hasn't quite reached the next level. It's a good book, but I'm still waiting for it to turn in to a great one.

That said, I still give it a high recommendation.

Queen and Country: Operation: Broken Ground
Collects issues 1-4.
Well, I guess it was inevitable - I finally read something by Greg Rucka that I unreservedly enjoyed. I even went in with a bad attitude, but I couldn't maintain it. Another of Rucka's cookie-cutter femme fatales is the centerpiece of this series and I still couldn't stop turning the pages. Another highly recommended trade.
The first trade is very good. Sadly (and I realize that I'm in the minority here), the other story arcs have not been as good. They're not bad. I still enjoy them, but the overall quality has not been consistent, in my opinion. And the book suffers from some poor choices when it comes to artists.

In general, I'm pretty indifferent towards Rucka's work. However, his story from "Spider-Man's Tangled Web", entitled "Severence Package" is very good. (It can be found in the first "Tangled Web" trade, which also contains Peter Milligan's "Flowers for Rhino", one of my favorite Spidey stories of all time, and a really lousy story arc by Garth Ennis.) I also thouroughly enjoyed Rucka's Batman/Huntress miniseries, "Cry for Blood", which is available in a TPB. I never thought I would enjoy a Huntress story, but Rucka pulls it off. Of course, it should be noted that I have a soft spot for classic, forgotten heroes like The Question, who plays a major role in this story.

The Playboy
I Never Liked You
The Little Man
Collects various strips and stories from Yummy Fur.
The good news is that I discovered Chester Brown this week. The bad news is that I read just about everything he has in publication in about 4 hours. The third book is actually his short works from the time he started, so that's optional. You should consider the others as part of the core curriculum.
I've never read anything by Chester Brown, but I do look forward to checking this stuff out. I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually and post my thoughts here.

~~~

So, I'm still not sure that this is where my reviews belong, but I was too excited to see the thread return to restrain myself. I may limit my input to one review a week, or maybe I'll try to at least read more current trades.
Don't limit your reviews. I'd like for this thread to develop into something more than a weekly "lookie-what-I-got" thread. Reviews and recommendations are always wanted and greatly appreciated.

My thought on the books I picked up are coming soon.

jim

Last edited by Gamblor187; 11-26-02 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-27-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Beautiful Killer #3 - I have to be honest...what attracted me to this book is Phil Noto's fantastic artwork. Hopefully he'll be doing more than covers. As far as the story -- it's a combo of Alias & Dark Angel. As far as origin stories go, i'd give it a C+ There're plans to bring this to the silver screen. With Jessica Alba, no less.

Superman: Day Of Doom #2 - This was somewhat better than issue 1. In addition to Jimmy telling his POV, this is the first time the carnage that Doomsday caused is given a non-"tights-n-cape" face. Perhaps it's because I haven't read the original story in a long time, but I didn't realize how much damage Doomsday did on his path of destruction.

Batman: Gotham Knights #35 Beatty continues the "is he?" or "isn't he?" regarding Bane's paternity and how it relates to Thomas Wayne. While the Bat-Family is trying to discover the truth, there's an artist exacting her revenge on her attackers with nanobots disguised as tattoos. All this and a confrontation with the Huntress too! The back-up Black + White story is written by Brian Azzarello & drawn by Jim Mahfood and questions Batman's effectiveness as an "urban myth". This was an enjoyable story and i'm a fan of Mahfood's art. My only gripe is that it's too damn short.

Truth #1 - Okay. Where should I begin with this book? Personally, I feel this is another Marvel/Jemas attempt at "controversy" [similar to Origin -- I didn't like that either]. The art is cartoonish [not a bad thing...I like Baker] I don't think i'm familiar with Morales' work, but it reads as if he didn't have much of a plot and told Kyle to make up for it with big panels.

] Amazing Spider-Man #47 - Straczynski & Romita Jr. -- need I say more? I agree with Gamblor187's statements and I'm intrigued to find out where JMS is going with this whole "embace your insect-ness" plot. One of my favourite books.
Old 11-28-02, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Excellent to see this thread back. Unfortunately I only get my comics by mail order once a month (but at a nice discount!) so I can't contribute this week, alas... but I enjoy reading them!
Same here, I get them once a month by mail. Discount is nice, but doesn't seem that much after shipping is added, only slightly cheaper than going to the store (most stores usually give at least 10% discount if you're a subscriber).

I'm a lazy grad student and don't have time to go every week or so to fulfill my reading habit. I get my comics from comicsnow.com (amazingly nice online store, cost effective too), where do you get yours? If yours is better, I just might switch.

Once I get this months habit-in-a-box in the mail, I'll try and post my impressions as well.

-Spooon69