Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Comic book fans, what did you get today 04/04/02 ?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-02, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just getting back into comics. I picked up Ultimate Spiderman #21 and a back copy of The Incredible Hulk. All back issues of these titles have been sold out and are hard to come by.
Old 04-04-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was a very slow week for me:

Deadline #1 I picked this up because I'm a big fan of Guy Davis, but the story was actually very good.

Superman #181 I know some folks don't care for McGuiness' Superman, but I really love it. I also think that his Lois Lane is hot (I feel like Comic Book Guy). The ending of the book was great.
Old 04-05-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic book fans, what did you get today 04/04/02 ?

Originally posted by El - Greazzo
I'm just getting back into comics. I picked up Ultimate Spiderman #21 and a back copy of The Incredible Hulk. All back issues of these titles have been sold out and are hard to come by.
I'd look into the TPBs of Ultimate Spider-Man (or the new HC, which reprints 1-13 and can be found for about $26 online) and the Hulk mini TPB that reprints 34-36...

I ordered my comics online again, so I'll weigh in later on, but I can't wait to read Transformers
Old 04-05-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Comics came out on Wednesday here and I almost missed transformers. I managed to get all 3 covers.

I picked up Ultimate Spiderman 21 (It sucked)

Gi Joe #5 (It sucked)

Transformers #1 (It kicked ass)
Old 04-05-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RaptorsFan
Comics came out on Wednesday here and I almost missed transformers. I managed to get all 3 covers.
Actually there are 4 covers, all of which I got & I only paid for 1 of them.

El-Greazo - Glad to see your getting back into comics, you should definitely get the Ultimate Spiderman trades, & wait a couple of weeks for the new Incredible Hulk trade that will get you up to date on the current story.

Anyway a pretty big week for me. I only read the first 2 books so far but I picked up. . .

High Roads #1 - Nazis, French brothels, midget Hitler look-alikes, & ninjas. . . . not just any ninjas. . . but Nazi-Ninjas. How could you not like this book. Lobdell's writing is extemely cheezy, but the fun characters & perhaps the best work of Leinill Yu's career really make this a great first issue & looking like a very fun new series. I hope this book does well, I know it sold out in my store.

Queen & County #7 - I ecourage everyone who hasn't been reading this book to pick up the trade that came out today. By far Greg Rucka's best work in comics right now.

Transormers #1 - Yes I got all 4 covers. Along with G.I. Joe these were really the only cartoons I ever watched as a kid, I didn't watch much TV. So this is awesome having this comic back & actually considering these is not from a major publisher like GI Joe is I'm surprised by how good it was. Pat Lee's art was fanastic & I think these is the best portrayal of the Decepticons since the original cartoon.

G.I. Joe #5 - WoW!!! this is like being a kid again.

Doom Patrol #7 - This book is amazing how it keeps getting better & better. Again I urge everyone to check it out while it's still relatively new.

Superman #181 - Madcougar I could not agree more. I can't get enough of McGuiness's art, I have all his Deadpool comics, plus Fighting American. I'm not even a big Superman fan but he makes this book so much fun.

Uncanny X-men #405 - Banshee is one of my 3 all-time favorite X-men so it annoyed me to see what happened at the end, plu you know he will be back.

Deadline #1 - Madcougar I'm with you again, Guy Davis's work on The Nevermen is one of my absolute all-time favorite comics, so I bought this book just for him. Although I've actually met the writer Rossman several times & he is an extremely nice guy so I hope this book is good.

Alias #8 - I like this book but I'm getting a little sick of Bendis dragging out plots & stories that could be resolved in 1 issue.

X-Force #126 - WOOO HOO!!! X-Force Day!!! This comic just can't get much better. I hope this creative team stays on this book forever. great cover on this one.

Trades:

Rising Stars: Power - I haven't even read the first trade yet so I don't know when I'll get around to this one. Everyone sayd this is a great book so maybe I'll read it soon.
Old 04-06-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17

Superman #181- Madcougar I could not agree more. I can't get enough of McGuiness's art, I have all his Deadpool comics, plus Fighting American. I'm not even a big Superman fan but he makes this book so much fun.- I haven't even read the first trade yet so I don't know when I'll get around to this one. Everyone sayd this is a great book so maybe I'll read it soon.
Have you checked out his and Casey's work on Majestic? It was actually a very good precursor for their work on Superman.
Old 04-06-02, 12:31 PM

Week's TPBs

I think I finally realized why I tend to read comics in themed blocks... I've been subconciously avoiding a situation where I have to admit that I enjoyed Supergirl more than Whiteout. Read too many books this week to avert disaster any further. Here goes, ranked from worst to best:

Captain Marvel

I got caught up in the Peter David/Joe Quesada/Bill Jemas online ruckus and ordered this book. Unfair of me to review it, because I didn't finish; I saw where the book was going and decided I didn't need to be along for the ride.

Whiteout

The co-stars of this book are so dreadfully cliche, I couldn't for a moment immerse myself in the story.

Supergirl

Most writers re-imagine a character by throwing all of the more ridiculous comic continuum elements away and starting from scratch. Peter David instead takes an insanely complex character background and works it into his update. I liked David when I was younger, but my two most recent exposures to his work have been disappointing. This book made up for those others.

Harlequin Valentine

I have an admitted soft spot for Gaiman. For fans of his work, I'd classify this as Mr. Punch-lite. Worth the price of admission, no question.

Hey Wait

Any review of this story risks being longer than the book itself. I read it twice, and pondered on it a while afterward. That's more than I usually ask of anything I read, but it's always a pleasant surprise.
Old 04-07-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll be getting:

Ultimate Spider-Man #21
Hawkman #2
Exiles #12

My online retailer has shipped the books and I should be receiving them within the next few days.

Question: does anybody have New X-men #124? I heard that it contains the worst art in comics in years. I have never liked Kordey's work (issues 119 & 120 were pathetic) but from what I hear #124 is much worse. Any comments?
Old 04-07-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

where can i get a pix of the 4 cover of transformer?? could anyone pick up all four covers of transformer for me. i missed it. thanks
Old 04-09-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by the_dude8
where can i get a pix of the 4 cover of transformer?? could anyone pick up all four covers of transformer for me. i missed it. thanks
Yeah whats the 4th cover? I have:

Autobots, Megatron, Prime and Megatron.....
Old 04-09-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RaptorsFan

Yeah whats the 4th cover? I have:

Autobots, Megatron, Prime and Megatron.....
the_dude, I'm always willing to help out a fellow comic fan, but unless your willing to shell out big bucks, it will be almost impossible for most to find a copy of the 4th cover. Like the preview issue that came out over a month ago, it is an exclusive for retailers only incentive issue. The cromium cover is just a normal variant cover that cusotmers could have ordered through previews. The retailers issue only had a print run of a few thousand, if not less, compared to the reguler covers which had a print of 165, 000. I picked up a couple copies of the retailers issue last week, & since I didn't pay for them I figured I would use the money I got for one towards buying the first season of Transformers box set, so for the hell of it I put one on ebay with an absurd buy it now price, I didn't think I would get even close to half of the buy it now price, & literally not even an hour after I put the auction on it sold for $80 bucks I'm probably going to CGC my other copy along with the preview issue just to keep for myself.

I never though the first issue would be such a hit, but I think a lot of people didn't expect the first issue to actually be such a good read I know I didn't.

Here is a small pic of the retailers exclusive cover.

Last edited by Sessa17; 04-09-02 at 01:41 PM.