Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

This Week's Comics (12/5-12/12)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Week's Comics (12/5-12/12)

Well, I usually start these on Thursdays, but I picked up my books early this week. Expensive week for me....

The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1 - This is the main reason I went to pick up my books tonight. I know that comic shops were ordering a lot, but I didn't want to risk them selling out before tomorrow evening, when I usually pick up my books. Just wondering.... is anyone not picking this up?

This book is likely to cause much discussion here, so I ask that spoiler tags be used when discussing the events of this book.

Alias #4 - I'm pretty indifferent towards this book right now, but I'm willing to give it a few storylines before I make up my mind about it.

It should also be noted that this book and some others feature a short 2002 Marvel preview. I wasn't really all that interested in "The Ultimates" (Marvel's new revamp of "The Avengers") until I saw this preview. Check out Brian Hitch's art here. I guess I'll be picking up a few issue and at least give it a shot.

Ultimate Spider-Man #16 - Glancing through this issue, I'm not too sure that I like what Bendis has done with Kraven the Hunter. We'll see.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #10 - I know that I said that I was dropping this title after last week's dreadful Fantastic Four issue. This series just doesn't seem to be living up to it's potential. But when I saw that John Totleben was providing the art for this issue, I couldn't pass it up. This man needs to work more often!

I'm so ashamed of myself! I usually don't believe in buying a comic just for the art. But with this book and my comments above about Brian Hitch, this rule is starting to seem a bit more flexible. Let's just hope that there's a decent story here to go along with Totleben's stellar art. I hate to spend money just to stare at the pretty pictures.

The Authority #27 - This book still exists??? Who knew??? I must admit, due to the lackluster issues lately and the constant delays, I've kind of lost interest in this book. Let's hope this issue is good enough to correct that.

100 Bullets #31 - Love the writing...love the art...love the covers...love the book. And it's nice to see Agent Graves back in action. He's been missing for the last couple of issues.

I also picked up the DC Direct Wildcat figure, bringing me ever-closer to a full collection of the Golden Age JSA. (Know where's the Mr. Terrific action figure????)

jim

Last edited by Gamblor187; 12-05-01 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-05-01, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: This Week's Comics (12/5-12/12)

Originally posted by Gamblor187
The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1 - This is the main reason I went to pick up my books tonight. I know that comic shops were ordering a lot, but I didn't want to risk them selling out before tomorrow evening, when I usually pick up my books. Just wondering.... is anyone not picking this up?jim
Although it may seem insane, going by how many comics I get every week, I clearly love them. However I am that guy. I did not get DKR2 today, didn't even look at it. My store like I'm sure many others have got hundreds of them in & believe me this will sell, but they will not run out. I was going to wait for the trade to read it, but since I spend time at my comic shop b/c of my friends, I may have to read it sooner just for discussion sake. Although I do think the original was brilliant, I did not enjoy it much. And it especially was not the kind of story I feel warrented a sequel. Especially one that will cost $8.00 a pop when the trade will cost 19.50, $24 at the most & will probably have extras in it much like Kingdom Come. Although this was planned perhaps for years before it's release, I'm sure Origin was also, & I can't help but feel w/ the press & hype Origin had, this was merely D.C's attempt at getting their names in Entertainment weekly also.

Now on to what I picked up, it was also a pretty big week for me, but the only things I read so far were Uncanny & The Authority. I picked up. . .

Star Wars: Tag & Blink Are Dead - For anyone even with a little SW knowledge this is an absolute must read book. A hilarious tale of how 2 actual characters that were in the background of the original movies accidently triggered the major events to happen.

Doom Patrol #3 - Finally a D.C. gimmick done right. Full size covers, this weeks D.C. covers are awesome especially this one & Batgirl. Doom Patrol along w/ Alias are buy far my favorite new titles of the year. I without a doubt garaunty Tan Eng Huat is a HUGE name in comics in a year or so. His art only 3 issues into his career just keeps getting better.

100 Bullets #31 - So far I have been reading this title as the trades are released & after reading the 3rd trade last week I can no longer wait that long to read them. So I picked up all the back issues after #20 today along w/ this one so I can now get all caught up. Can't wait to read them, can't get enough of this book.

The Authority #27 - D.C. are compele morons for letting this book about to drift into comic book limbo. This issue is amazing & Art Adams is one of my 3 all-time favorite artists & delivers perhaps the best work of his long career.

Uncanny X-men #400 - Not many titles make it to #400 & Marvel really should have made a more special issue. This title feels & looks like a rushed fill-in issue. Joe Casey blows & should not be aloud to write comics. . . or even hold a pen. . . or be near a computer.

Alias #4 - I think this series has been very good so far.

Batgirl #23 - Flat out the most underrated mainstream comic being published today. If you've never read this book pick up this issue & if Damion Scott's art alone doesn't hook you then you don't know good art.

Superman #177 - Ed McGuiness rules. Just wish he did the whole issue.

Ultimate X-men #12 - This book is annoying & I just don't get why so many people love it. It sells super fast at my store. It just does nothing new. I'm dropping it as soon as I see what they do with Gambit.

Mini-Marvels #1 - Wooo Hooo! I always wanted Marvel to do this. Call it a guilty pleasure but I think it's F'n hilarious.

Exiles #7 -With this issue I officially drop this book. Winnick blows(and yes I read the overpraised Barry Ween)

Universe #4 - Despite having no knowledge of the Top Cow Univers I am really enjoying this mini-series.

Trades:

Mr. Majestic Tpb - Despite my immense hatred for Joe Casey, I picked this trade up b/c McGuiness's work is just amazing. hopefully this will be a decent read.

Startling Stories: Banner Tpb - That's what I'm talking about. Way to go Marvel for finally getting the ball jumping on this trades coming out fast. This was one of, if not my favorite story I read all year. Can't wait to see what this team can do with Luke Cage next year.

The Inhumans: Marvel Knights Tpb - Finally my store got this in. Jae Lee rules & this looks like the best work of his career. Absolutely can't wait to read this one.

Wheww! That's enough typing.

Last edited by Sessa17; 12-05-01 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-05-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up:

Dark Knight Strikes Again - my store sold out while I was there (at 5 pm WEDNESDAY!) - you actually had to sign up twice to get one copy. Yes, my comic store sucks Anyhow, I really liked it...and I can't wait for #2. However,

Spoiler:
I didn't like how Batman doesn't "appear" till the end, how its hard to understand what some of the characters are saying, and what exactly happened with Catwoman's "outfit" at the beginning. It was also a bit startling to see Green Arrow with two hands, though one looks mechanical. Seeing Barry Allen and Ray Palmer though, was great

Savage Dragon #91 - this issue made ALOT of sense and might make a good "jump-on" issue as Frank and the Dragon discuss alot of what has been going on before and since issue #76 (the first Savage World issue). Seeing Rapture again was great too

Ultimate X-Men #12 - I was slightly disappointed, as the whole series basically climaxed in one issue... but it was a decent read.
Spoiler:
Sabretooth having claws, though, was out of place, and they suddenly disappeared after a few panels.

I also picked up Generic Comic Book #5, Ultimate Spider-Man #16, and 100 Bullets #31. I passed on Alias - I might pick it up in the future though.

Last edited by Liquid Death; 12-05-01 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-05-01, 10:15 PM

Re: Re: This Week's Comics (12/5-12/12)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sessa17

And it especially was not the kind of story I feel warrented a sequel. Especially one that will cost $8.00 a pop when the trade will cost 19.50, $24 at the most & will probably have extras in it much like Kingdom Come.

I really hope the TPB does - I'll certainly buy that too if thats the case. The first DKR TPB didn't though - I had it and upgraded once they released the 10th anniversary edition that had all the extras. I grant you that the story is rather expensive, though.

Star Wars: Tag & Blink Are Dead- For anyone even with a little SW knowledge this is an absolute must read book. A hilarious tale of how 2 actual characters that were in the background of the original movies accidently triggered the major events to happen.

I actually had #1 in my hands when it came out, but as I was looking around, I must've put it somewhere and I lost it Hopefully both issues will be compiled or something sometime...I'd like to read it

Ultimate X-men #12- This book is annoying & I just don't get why so many people love it. It sells super fast at my store. It just does nothing new. I'm dropping it as soon as I see what they do with Gambit.

I really liked the first story-arc, and while Return to Weapon X wasn't as good, I enjoyed it as well. I really like the characters, but I've never been too into the X-Men coz the continuity is just too confusing...especially before the relaunches.

Exiles #7-With this issue I officially drop this book. Winnick blows(and yes I read the overpraised Barry Ween)

I thought this was funny, considering how it was Wizard's BOTM last issue

Startling Stories: Banner Tpb That's what I'm talking about. Way to go Marvel for finally getting the ball jumping on this trades coming out fast. This was one of, if not my favorite story I read all year. Can't wait to see what this team can do with Luke Cage next year.

I really liked Banner - Wizard said it was the best mini of the year and while I don't know if I'd quite go that far, it was terrific - and this comes from someone who really doesn't like the Hulk much at all.
Old 12-08-01, 09:58 PM

Week's TPBs

100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call

The premise of 100 Bullets could be the backdrop for a really great series. Unfortunately, I felt that potential was not fulfilled in either of these first two story arcs. Due to problems with dialogue and character development, I had a difficult time investing interest in the conclusions of either story arc. I felt that each character should have had a few more issues devoted to them, so that their actions seem more honest and less forced by the needs of the story. This was particularly true of the second story arc which almost got it right, but felt rushed in order to incorporate what looks to become a subplot running throughout the series. Enjoyable, but a bit of a let down.

Transmetropolitian: Lust for Life

When I had completed the first quarter of this trade, I began thinking to myself, "why did I try this when I didn't really care for the first one?" Then I hit upon a story about "foggies" that captured my interest. Upon completing that, I began a story about a woman that cryogenically preserves herself in the hopes of a medical breakthrough in the future. This issue absolutely drew me in and was my favorite in the book. Although I don't enjoy every issue, they all have some nice touches. By the end of this book, I was glad I gave the series a second chance. I don't think I'll necessarily rush out to get the third, because I still think the series isn't really my style (decided to classify it as "cyberpunk-humor"), but this is the sort of book I'd pick up on a whim if I see it on the shelf.

The Inhumans

Normally I save the best for last but, to be honest, this week I'm mystified. The Inhumans, by Paul Jenkins, is a story about a civilization of aliens that I only vaguely recall from the days, almost a decade ago, when I to read Marvel comics regularly. The story and character emotions are surprisingly dense for a comic book (particularly one by Marvel) - so much so that I have to admit I'm not sure I can fairly judge this book without rereading it. A lot of philosophical and moral questions are raised by the characters and events of this story. The trouble with trying to ask complex questions in super hero comic books, is that the characters and plot are rarely up to the task. If this tale had been more superficial, I could have suspended my disbelief enough not to ask the question, "does it make sense for a man who is essentially a mute to rule over an entire society of beings?" Additionally, the harder questions about leadership and the value of life asked throughout the story beg the question, "isn't there an easier way?" Overall, I was drawn in enough to suspend the nagging feeling that there were major flaws in the set up that aren't resolved by the punch line. If I had to draw a line in the sand, I'd say I really liked this one. Hope I remember it fondly tomorrow.

For those that enjoy 100 Bullets, I beg you to try any novel by Dashiel Hammett. Red Harvest or The Glass Key are particular favorites of mine. The premise may not grab you as quickly, but they build up quite nicely. Fans of Transmetropolitian would probably enjoy the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams, or Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. Honestly, I'm not too sure. You have to give Ellis credit, his story is pretty unique. For fans of The Inhumans, you can try Kingdom Come by Mark Waid for a poorly written exploration of some of the same concepts, with more familiar characters. (My apologies, but I'm an incredible jerk. Honestly, give it a try, the majority of comic book fans loved it.)

Last edited by Al Infinitum; 12-08-01 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-08-01, 10:42 PM

Well, it's Saturday night and I'm hours away from my apartment, dogsitting for my parents. Thought I'd take advantage of this time to roll off another post.

Alias #4

I've been trying a few of the monthly magazines here and there; the only one that I've stuck out long term has been Alias. I guess maybe I'm just a sucker for Bendis' writing, but I've enjoyed every issue of this series, even the supposedly boring second issue. I look forward to Alias every month but, after reading this one, have no idea how this is all going to resolve itself in one more issue.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up

What, in short, is the deal with this title? I see that quite a few people are reading Team-Up, but how does it relate to the main Spiderman book? Is the Ultimate universe planned to last indefinitely? If so, it seems like a bad idea to have a monthly magazine devoted to cross-overs. Obviously, no one likes the later issues of the series, but was the early run any good?

The Inhumans

Sessa, when I wrote my previous post I didn't notice that you had also picked this up. Please share your thoughts when you finish it.

Dark Knight Strikes Again

Dropped by my store Thursday after work, the owner told me he sold out of sixty copies in three hours. I may be forced to opt out of this title until it gets collected.

100 Bullets

Everyone here loves this title and, while you've all been wrong about some other books (heh), I feel like I might be missing out on something. Is the second trade an improvement on the first? I was leery to pick up the second Transmetropolitian but did so on Gamblor's advice and that worked out for me. (Thanks for that, by the way.)
Old 12-09-01, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally posted by Al Infinitum
Dark Knight Strikes Again

Dropped by my store Thursday after work, the owner told me he sold out of sixty copies in three hours. I may be forced to opt out of this title until it gets collected.
One of my local shops sold out of 90 copies, but they are getting in 20 additional copies each Wed. this month. You might want to call around to your local shops and see if any of them are expecting additional shipments.
Old 12-09-01, 09:49 AM

Re: Week's TPBs

[B]100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call

The premise of 100 Bullets could be the backdrop for a really great series. Unfortunately, I felt that potential was not fulfilled in either of these first two story arcs. Due to problems with dialogue and character development, I had a difficult time investing interest in the conclusions of either story arc. I felt that each character should have had a few more issues devoted to them, so that their actions seem more honest and less forced by the needs of the story. This was particularly true of the second story arc which almost got it right, but felt rushed in order to incorporate what looks to become a subplot running throughout the series. Enjoyable, but a bit of a let down.
The first TPB, while I loved it, does rush a bit in terms of setting up the main plots of the story. And Dizzy does come back The series only gets better, imo, once more characters are introduced and the "conspiracy" is slowly revealed.
Old 12-09-01, 09:54 AM

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up

What, in short, is the deal with this title? I see that quite a few people are reading Team-Up, but how does it relate to the main Spiderman book? Is the Ultimate universe planned to last indefinitely? If so, it seems like a bad idea to have a monthly magazine devoted to cross-overs. Obviously, no one likes the later issues of the series, but was the early run any good?
[/B]
I've read the #1 (crap), #4&5 (x-over with Iron Man, which I enjoyed), and #6-8 (x-over with Punisher and Daredevil which I thought was a decent Punisher story, but Daredevil and Spiderman were more of supporting characters than anything else).
Old 12-09-01, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Week's TPBs

100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call

Many people I recommend this book to at my comic book store have the same problems. to me the amazing part of this series is how it all ties together as it progresses. Sort of like the movie Memento, has more of the book/movie goes along, slowly by slowly the larger picture is revealed. The characters that you wish would be more developed, do indeed get more developed. The beaty of Azzarello's writing is how almost every single aspect of every single story is tied together. The first trade doesn't even hint at the central plot & point of this book. I can almost garanty if you get the next 2 trades the 3rd one " Hang Up, On the Hang Low" will hook you. And thanks for the book reccomendations, I will try to track the crime ones down.

The Inhumans

Normally I save the best for last but, to be honest, this week I'm mystified. The Inhumans, by Paul Jenkins, is a story about a civilization of aliens that I only vaguely recall from the days, almost a decade ago, when I to read Marvel comics regularly. The story and character emotions are surprisingly dense for a comic book (particularly one by Marvel) - so much so that I have to admit I'm not sure I can fairly judge this book without rereading it. A lot of philosophical and moral questions are raised by the characters and events of this story. The trouble with trying to ask complex questions in super hero comic books, is that the characters and plot are rarely up to the task. If this tale had been more superficial, I could have suspended my disbelief enough not to ask the question, "does it make sense for a man who is essentially a mute to rule over an entire society of beings?" Additionally, the harder questions about leadership and the value of life asked throughout the story beg the question, "isn't there an easier way?" Overall, I was drawn in enough to suspend the nagging feeling that there were major flaws in the set up that aren't resolved by the punch line. If I had to draw a line in the sand, I'd say I really liked this one. Hope I remember it fondly tomorrow.
]
Well I absolutely loved this book but It wasn't so much the writing as it was Jae Lee's art. Absolutely the best work of his career. I knew going into the book not to think of things like why is Blackbolt the leader of such a race. I am not a huge Jenkins fan & I actually wish the plot was a bit more complex & Maximus just seemd like a very cliched Mad villain with delusions of grandeur. However, Jae Lee's rendition of Black Bolt & Lady Medusa alone make me very happy with this trade in my collection.

I'll be picking up couple of more trades on WEd.

I just haven't had time to really read any of my weekly comics though. Only read 2 here's some quick thoughts.

Ultimate X-men #12 - This book is clearly geared for someone with no prior knowledge of the X-men. As a life long X-book fan I utterly hate this book & will drop it after I see the Gambit story. There is absolutely NO character intereaction in this book. The writer doed absolutely nothing new with any characters & the art reminds me of something out of a Chaos! comic.

Universe #4 - One of the surprise stories for me all year. Nothing amazing in this series however a very fun & dark issue dealing with a twisted hero who's power is to grant hope to trapped soles in hell. The art does not do much for me & I feel if it wasn't for the heavy inks would be more enjoyable.
Old 12-10-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up<
i
I've really enjoyed this series myself - it's a lot of fun, and totally unpredictable from one issue to the next. My favorites include the Iron Man story, the Punisher tale in #6-8 and the hiliarious (almost a satire) Fantastic Four piece in #9. Haven't read #10 yet but will soon. So, to me, the series has actually gotten BETTER after a few mediocre early issues... Sure, Spider-Man is barely in some of the issues but I'm not buying the book so much for him as I am for Bendis and the great artists he's worked with.

While it may seem a "bad idea" for a monthly cross-over book, let's not forget the original Marvel Team-Up series lasted something like 15 years, the pretty awful Thing team-up book "Marvel Two-In-One" made it 100 issues, and Brave & Bold and DC Comics Presents also had pretty good runs too. I'm really looking forward to Kevin Smith's take on team-ups in his new Brave & Bold revival - can you tell I'm a fan of the team up books? What I like about them most is that if one issue's not so great, the next issue might well be with a totally different artist and character.
Old 12-10-01, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up

I don't think that a monthly comic devoted cross-overs is such a bad idea. I would much rather have that then constant cross-overs in a regular monthly title....especially since cross-overs usually suck.
I started reading this title because Bendis was writing it. There have also been some great artists involved. Unfortunately, the book just doesn't live up to its potential. With the talent involved, it would seem like a sure thing. Instead, it just kind of sits there. Although I wouldn't say that any of the issues are bad (with the exception of that Fantastic Four issue, which I thought was wretched), they aren't particularly memorable, either (with the exception of the Iron Man story...mainly because I like Michael Allred so much).
I stuck with the book for a while, but I have officially given up on getting it every month. I will pick up an occassional issue is I really like the artist (There's no way I was passing up John Totleben this week....especially drawing Man-Thing....so reminiscent of his early work with Alan Moore on Swamp Thing.) or if the "guest star" sounds promising.

100 Bullets

Everyone here loves this title and, while you've all been wrong about some other books (heh), I feel like I might be missing out on something. Is the second trade an improvement on the first? I was leery to pick up the second Transmetropolitian but did so on Gamblor's advice and that worked out for me. (Thanks for that, by the way.)
It's another one of those series that gets better as it goes along. I enjoyed the first two TPBs, but it was not until the third major storyline (just out in TPB) that I really got hooked. It does take a while for a lot of the sub-plots to come together, and there are still only hints of what everything is all about, but each little bit just makes the overall book better and better.

jim

Last edited by Gamblor187; 12-10-01 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-10-01, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some comments on the books that I've read so far....

Alias #4 - My opinion hasn't changed after this issue. I'll finish this storyline and may try the next one. If it still doesn't do anything for me, I'll be dropping this title.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #10 - Totleben's art is as good as ever, and I'd imagine that he was picked for this particular story because of his work on Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing" Still, the story, while not really bad, wasn't very engaging, either. I'm dropping this as a monthly title, but I may still pick it up if there's a good artist involved. (I think that Ted McKeever will be providing art for an upcoming issue. That reminds me, I still have to pick up those "Metropol" TPBs!)

Ultimate Spider-Man #16 - I'm all right with a bit of build-up, and I'm all for a writer trying to develop the characters further...but come on! Nothing has happened in this book for a while now. Stop with the build-up and just give us the Doc Ock story, already! And this version of Kraven the Hunter,
Spoiler:
a reality television host who plays like a psychotic (well, even more psychotic) version of the Crocodile Hunter
, just seems silly.

The Authority #27 - I think that a lot of it has to be due to the long delays with this title, but I just could not get into this issue at all. It's a shame to see a once promising series die off like this.

100 Bullets #31 - Well, since it's only the first issue of this storyline, it would be a bit premature to call this the best issue yet, but I am very tempted. Risso's art is fantastic and the dialogue in this issue is Azzarello's best to date. Very reminsicent of Hammet, who I also highly recommend.

It's been a busy week, and I haven't had a chance to read the first issue of "The Dark Knight Strikes Back", yet. I will post my thoughts on it soon.

jim

Last edited by Gamblor187; 12-10-01 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-13-01, 11:52 AM

Ultimate Team-Up

I agree that a team-up book is far better than having cross-overs in the regular monthly titles. An even better idea, in my opinion, is to not have cross-overs at all. I know a lot of people love them, and they really make sales, but the Ultimates line is supposed to be simplifying comic books. Nothing will muddy the continuity faster than frequent (read: monthly) cross-overs. The only way I could see supporting a cross-over title would be if it was treated as a "What If?" That way, you get to see what it would be like if your favorite characters met/fought without having to screw up the general universe.

100 Bullets

I'm convinced, I'll give the second volume a look.

As always, thanks for the advice.