DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   A Superman comic book question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/119724-superman-comic-book-question.html)

RaptorsFan 06-25-01 12:40 PM

I was looking reading my death of superman comics yesterday and I was thinking of a few thing since I stopped reading after the new superman was introduced.

Who was Doomsday? Where did he come from? And was Doomsday in the comics before and or after the death of Superman story?

FilmStudent 06-25-01 10:35 PM

Don't know the answer to all your questions but...

I don't think he was in the comic before they came up with the idea of killing Superman.

He did return for a short series entitled something like The Return of Doomsday. You can find both The Death of Superman and The Return of Doomsday in two seperate collections.

sundog 06-26-01 10:24 AM

I can't remember what issues specifically, but I do recall DC did explain Doomsday's origin.

Doomsday was a creation of scientists from Krypton, well before its destruction. On a planet with a hostile environment the scientists began with a very simple life form unleashed in the deadly terrain. After the life form died, they retrieved the body and created a new one, released it outside and again collected the dead body. The point is, these scientists were forcing evolution on this creature. The story flashes forward a generation and all the original scientists are obviously aged and their creature has evolved beyond control. He becomes smart enough to realize what these people were doing to him and begins to attack them in their protective shelter.

I don't remember the specifics but the scientists were able to restrain and hold him in a massive cell. Here's where my memory is a bit fuzzy. This cell obviously ended up on Earth. I can't tell you if that was the planet the scientists were originally on or if they ejected it into space.

Doomsday was first riled up when Superman got to Earth. Why? Because the monster could sense (or smell) a Kryptonion. And since part of his evolution was recognizing Krypton blood as the blood of his natural enemy. Doomsday then began banging his way out of his bonds. It just took many years to finally do it. As seen in the actual "Death of Superman" books, Doomsday traveled a straight course right to Superman.

I hope this makes sense. I can't recall if this story was told in a separate short run series or part of the major books.

TheBang 06-26-01 03:41 PM

Sundog is right. That origin was told in the <b>Superman/Doomsday: Hunter/Prey</b> limited series.

There was another limited series after that, <b>Superman: Doomsday Wars</b>, in which Brainiac inhabits Doomsday's body. This leads to some interesting problems. Indestructible being with super-intelligence?

Both of these series are mildly entertaining and worth a read. I think they're both available in Trade Paperback too.