Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What Are You Reading 2024 (The Readening)

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What Are You Reading 2024 (The Readening)

Old 07-06-24, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,165 Posts
Re: What Are You Reading 2024 (The Readening)

Finished:
Micro

Iím a big Michael Crichton fan and this one started out well enough but unfortunately Crichton only finished about 1/3 of this before he passed away. Richard Preston finished writing the book but the story and the writing both go downhill as the book progresses. It was an interesting concept but never managed to be as good as other Crichton novels.
Old 07-07-24, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 376 Posts

Finished The Power that Preserves and jumped straight into The Wounded Land (the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever).

When I first read these 40+ years ago, the 2nd Chronicles of three books was it. I recently learned that a Third Chronicles was written - a set of four books! I'm curious if anyone here has read these or know if they're worth pursuing.
Old 07-08-24, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,557 Likes on 986 Posts

I'm about to give up on From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne. It's amazingly dull for such a good writer.

Chapter 3 is the calculations of speed and trajectory needed to reach the moon.
Chapter 7 is the calculations of the projectile.
Chapter 8 is the calculations of the gun.
Chapter 9 is the calculations of the powder.
Chapter 11 is statistics about Florida and Texas, presumably copied from an encyclopedia.
Chapter 12 is a list of the major banks of the world, and pages listing how much money each country donated to the project.

I understand that fans of hard science fiction want everything to be based on scientific theory, but I'm nearly halfway through the book and there has been nearly no plot, just lists of facts.
Old 07-08-24, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 2,002 Likes on 1,331 Posts

Finished a bunch of stuff and about halfway through Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. It's weird how as time goes on dystopian fiction is shown to be on an intersecting path with the nightly news. This book so far is terrifying.
Old 07-11-24, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Old 07-12-24, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Finished:

Old 07-15-24, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 239 Likes on 173 Posts

Finished:

A have to admit that I wasn't looking forward to reading this, as I'd heard that it was essentially a cash grab. Dino De Laurentiis, who produced The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, and Red Dragon, wanted another Lecter film and told Thomas Harris that either Harris could write it or De Laurentiis would find someone else who would. When the concept of a prequel came up, Harris says that he eventually warmed to the idea and so wrote the novel and the screenplay for De Laurentiis's film. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the book, although it's weird to me that Lecter has gone from being a boogeyman to a sympathetic anti-hero. It's easily the least of Harris's Lecter novels, but it's still worth reading.

Currently reading:

Don't judge! I need to read this for the same YouTube project that I read Harry Belafonte's autobiography for.