Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What Are You Reading 2024 (The Readening)

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What Are You Reading 2024 (The Readening)

Old 06-08-24, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 639 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: What Are You Reading 2024 (The Readening)

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Whatcha think of Koko?
Koko was good-ish. Parts were very emotionally gripping and parts seemed very contrived. Made me further thankful I never went to Viet Nam!
Old 06-08-24, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,960 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Good-ish, eh?
I won't recommend the followups Mystery and The Throat, then ...
But I will agree that Vietnam was probably a bad place to serve in the military!
Old 06-08-24, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Good-ish, eh?
I won't recommend the followups Mystery and The Throat, then ...
But I will agree that Vietnam was probably a bad place to serve in the military!
I don't mean to disparage it, it just didn't hit right for me in some ways. And I have no idea where I got the idea that Vietnam was two words! Coulda sworn it used to be ...
Old 06-08-24, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I don't mean to disparage it, it just didn't hit right for me in some ways. And I have no idea where I got the idea that Vietnam was two words! Coulda sworn it used to be ...
It's your anti-Straub bias rotting your brain!

Anyway, I didn't think you were disparaging the book, not every book or author is for everybody, of course! (Koko just happens to be one of my all-time favorites, I think I've read it four times over the years. )
Old 06-10-24, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welp, out of nostalgic curiosity I picked up Lord Foul's Bane to see if I wanted to reread it. Back in the early 1980s the book somehow appeared in my apartment and I scanned the first page to see what it was about and got sucked right in. (I'll have to remember to ask my friend - who was my roommate at the time - if he recalls where the book came from). Anyway, I have been sucked in again! There's so much I don't remember about this, so I'm totally engrossed even though I know sorta-kinda what's coming.
Old 06-10-24, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,521 Likes on 964 Posts

Jim Butcher - Storm Front: Dresden Files #1. I skipped the first two Dresden Files books because they aren't supposed to be as good as the later volumes. Now I've started the first two books and it's true. Butcher became much better writer a few books later. But the first book has a good story, and he introduces a pretty good cast of characters. It was also a fast read after Gore Vidal.
Old 06-11-24, 10:48 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Old 06-11-24, 12:41 PM

Finished Roadside Picnic. Fantastic book. Bleak, weird, real. Sad I haven't read it before this because it's the most interesting take on alien encounters that I've read (don't read a ton of sci-fi).

From my knowledge of the movie Stalker, yeah it sounds like Tarkovsky took a basic theme and loosely interpreted the last 30 pages of the book. Still looking forward to finally watching it, will probably get the Criterion in the upcoming Barnes and Noble sale.

Currently reading Emotional Intelligence and not sure what else to pick up right now. Maybe I'll read my kindle edition of the Dark Phoenix saga ...
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (06-12-24)
Old 06-13-24, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,521 Likes on 964 Posts

Jim Butcher - Fool Moon: Dresden Files #2. Now I'm caught up, and I've read all the Dresden Files books up to my latest volume.

Harry Dresden deals with several groups of werewolves, organized crime, and prejudice from the police. Another good story, but this time the author includes too many moving parts and stuff gets lost. About two-thirds of the way through the book he has to pause to remind the reader what all is happening.

I did like it when Harry, in about a day's time, gets shot, his leg badly injured, thoroughly beaten by goons, knocked out a couple of times -- and then has sex. Very Mickey Spillane.