Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What Are You Reading 2024 (The Readening)

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What Are You Reading 2024 (The Readening)

Old 05-14-24, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,311 Posts
Re: What Are You Reading 2024 (The Readening)

^

That's a glowing review!
Old 05-14-24, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,529 Likes on 969 Posts

Ambassador 1A: The Sahara Conspiracy by Patty Jensen. Science fiction - action. I didn't like it as much as book 1. Cory Wilson is sent to deal with an off-world criminal, arms merchant, slaver, and warlord who's trying to set up a kingdom in Saharan Africa.

Old 05-15-24, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I dont know why I keep reading his stuff. I enjoyed Home Before Dark, but the rest has been pretty middling. Decent fast palley clensers after heavier reads, but Im probably out from now on.
Old 05-15-24, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by thematahara
I dont know why I keep reading his stuff. I enjoyed Home Before Dark, but the rest has been pretty middling. Decent fast palley clensers after heavier reads, but Im probably out from now on.
We all have our comfort authors, until the cost outweighs the comfort!
Old 05-16-24, 09:36 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts

Currently reading Nobody Runs Forever by Richard Stark (Donald Westlake). The first of the final 3 installments in the Parker series he wrote before his death.
Old 05-16-24, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara
I remember enjoying The Only One Left last year. Although it was in audio format on a long drive. I've found that "lightweight" books work best for me in those conditions. It's likely I wouldn't enjoy those types of books as much when actually reading, when 100% of my brain is focused on the story.

Just finished:

Jade War by Fonda Lee. Book 2 of a trilogy (following Jade City). I continue to really like this series, even if this book tends to suffer from "middle of a trilogy" problems (with it seeming like the most interesting stuff was either in the 1st or will be coming in the finale).
Old 05-16-24, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,053 Likes on 756 Posts

Old 05-16-24, 01:35 PM

^ THAT is a deep cut
Old 05-20-24, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Just finished reading Dune and loved it. The newer movies are nigh masterpieces, but there were enough changes - both nuanced and drastic - to make the book a different experience. I'm going to read a couple of palate cleansers and then pick up Messiah to see how Paul breaks bad.

But this is why I don't normally read book series with lots of entries. I'm a completist and would want to read them all, however I'm a slow reader. And I've heard that there are some real duds in the extended series. (Maybe also in the original run of Herbert's novels?) I'll probably just read the OG saga over the next year or two.
Old 05-22-24, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished:

Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman. Not long ago I read Between Two Fires by this author and really enjoyed, so I wanted to dig more into his bibliography. Like the other book, this excels at setting and atmosphere (this time set in Great Depression era rural Georgia). With a lot of small town set-up, I can see why others compared this to Salems Lot (but with werewolves instead of vampires). My problem is that it felt really underdeveloped in the end, just when things are getting "good".
Old 05-22-24, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 843 Likes on 621 Posts

Starting:
Opposable Thumbs: How Siskel & Ebert Changed Movies by Matt Singer

Old 05-22-24, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Just finished reading Dune and loved it. The newer movies are nigh masterpieces, but there were enough changes - both nuanced and drastic - to make the book a different experience. I'm going to read a couple of palate cleansers and then pick up Messiah to see how Paul breaks bad.

But this is why I don't normally read book series with lots of entries. I'm a completist and would want to read them all, however I'm a slow reader. And I've heard that there are some real duds in the extended series. (Maybe also in the original run of Herbert's novels?) I'll probably just read the OG saga over the next year or two.
I traded readings between Dune and another series. Worked for me, and stopped at the 6 originals. I kinda thought the last two were the best.
Old 05-22-24, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 643 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Starting:
Opposable Thumbs: How Siskel & Ebert Changed Movies by Matt Singer

I thought this was a really fun book ... until the end ...
Spoiler:
everybody dies

Old 05-25-24, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished:

Old 05-26-24, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished:

S.A. Cosby rocks. His first book was my last of his that I havent read. While his literary chops have improved, he came out of the gate knowing how to tell a banger of a story.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (05-26-24)
Old 05-28-24, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts

I kind of totally forgot about this thread for, what, nearly four months? Here's what I've been reading:

This was interesting, as Harry Belafonte pretty much knew everybody. I mean, when you call Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. "Martin," and Robert Kennedy "Bobby" to their faces AND have their private phone numbers, you've arrived. I liked that Belafonte was able to admit to some of the less savory things that he did, but even with that, the book still feels somewhat whitewashed.

This was my first time reading The Dark Tower, and I found it to be okay, but nothing special. I'm hoping that things get going once I get to the later books that were written as novels and not short stories.

Another first: my first Louis L'Amour novel. I really, really liked it. There will be more L'Amour in my future.

Ooooooh...sorry about the size of that one. I found this one in a thrift store and it looked irresistible. It was just one step up from awful, and far, far, below mediocre.

This is the second book that I've read by Palahniuk, and, while I don't actively dislike him, is style is off-putting. I call it stunt-writing, and it's marked by being very, very showy and pseudo-literary. I'm probably going to give ol' Chuck here one more try, since a friend gave me a copy of Haunted, but I'll be going in with more than a bit of trepidation, and it's going to have to wait a while.

This took about, oh, fifteen minutes to read. It is what it is.

I bought this because a YouTuber whom I usually trust said that it was disturbing. He got THAT right. It's not the kind of disturbing that makes you lose sleep, but it is the kind of disturbing that makes you want to put it down and walk away from it every so often. It would have been better if it actually had some kind of point to make; instead, it comes across as A Series of Unfortunate Belgian Events.

I hate to admit it, but this was my first time experiencing ANYTHING Harry Potter (except for ten minutes of the second film that I happened to catch on an airplane 20 years ago)...and I loved the hell out of it. I'd put off reading it because a) I don't do fantasy very well, and b) if everybody loves it, it MUST be garbage, right? Well, I was wrong on the second count. I've got the second volume in my reading pile and should be hitting it somewhere in the middle of this summer.

This was a re-read; when I first read it nearly 30 years ago, it had come highly recommended by a friend, and my (then) wife and I enjoyed it a lot. This time out, I remembered little of the plot machinations, so that didn't bother me...but, man, James Patterson is a poor writer. I have to give him props for moving the story along and keeping me reading, but his prose style is just awful.

So that catches me up to what I'm currently reading:

This is another of the books that my wife at the time and I read thirty years ago. It was the first Grisham novel that I had read (she might have read A Time to Kill and/or The Firm before this one), and I enjoyed it mainly because we'd been at several functions where John Grisham was the guest of honor, and I thought that it was cool that I'd been close enough to touch a best-selling author twice in a week. I've got a little over 100 pages left on the re-read, and, luckily, I haven't remembered any details about the plot at all--so it's like reading a brand-new book. I'm enjoying it, although it's a bit of a step down from Grisham's four previous books. I reserve the right to change my opinion once I finish it later this week.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get completely caught up for the year. Maybe I can remember to add to this thread as I go this year now.
Old 05-28-24, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ The second Harry Potter book is not as good. I imagine that Rowling's agent said, "You've got a hit! Write another one just like it, quick!"

But the Dark Tower series really picks up in the second book.

I'm halfway through 1876 by Gore Vidal. It's a historical novel set during what was (when the book was written) the most contentious election in US history. Samuel Tilden got more than 50% of the vote . . . but the other party controlled Congress and awarded the election to Rutherford Hayes. I spent sixty pages waiting for the story to start, then checked the reviews. They said that the whole book is the protagonist going to high-society parties. Now that I understand what it's about, I'm enjoying it for what it is.

rbrown498 (05-29-24)
Old 05-30-24, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished:

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishigura. Besides this, I've only read his sci-fi books (Never Let Me Go and Klara and the Sun), both of which I greatly likely. I didn't quite like this as much as those, but there was still a lot to take from it. Despite being considered "literature" (rather than sci-fi/fantasy) Ishigura has an easy style to read. Although, and this is shared between all the books of his that I read, his main characters can be frustrating (either in their ignorance or passivity). This ended up being interesting reflection of memory, pretty make taking the opposite stance as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Not surprisingly, reader reviews on goodreads are extremely mixed, with this being too talky and philosophical for fantasy fans while literature buffs don't like stories with dragons, ogres, and pixies in it.
Old 06-03-24, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished

Nice bounce back after Holly, and some very solid stories in this one. Really enjoyed the follow up to Cujo
GoldenJCJ (06-12-24)
Old 06-04-24, 10:58 AM

Finished Pride and Prejudice. (Now I'm watching the BBC mini-series.) It's an inarguable classic, but the sentence construction is so labyrinthine it's tough for a dope like me. The mini-series is bringing out the humor much better.

In the middle of Emotional Intelligence, reading which was inspired by No Self No Problem.

About to start Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - which was the basis for the movie Stalker by Tarkovsky.
Old 06-04-24, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Finished Pride and Prejudice. (Now I'm watching the BBC mini-series.) It's an inarguable classic, but the sentence construction is so labyrinthine it's tough for a dope like me. The mini-series is bringing out the humor much better.

In the middle of Emotional Intelligence, reading which was inspired by No Self No Problem.

About to start Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - which was the basis for the movie Stalker by Tarkovsky.
Forget what you've seen in the movie Stalker. Tarkovsky took a few of the ideas from Roadside Picnic and went a completely different direction.

I didn't like the book the first time I read it, but liked it better when I gave it a second try.
Kurt D (06-04-24)
Old 06-04-24, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Forget what you've seen in the movie Stalker. Tarkovsky took a few of the ideas from Roadside Picnic and went a completely different direction.

I didn't like the book the first time I read it, but liked it better when I gave it a second try.
Luckily (or perhaps to my discredit) I've only seen Solaris, so I'm good!
Old 06-07-24, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I'm halfway through 1876 by Gore Vidal. It's a historical novel set during what was (when the book was written) the most contentious election in US history. Samuel Tilden got more than 50% of the vote . . . but the other party controlled Congress and awarded the election to Rutherford Hayes. I spent sixty pages waiting for the story to start, then checked the reviews. They said that the whole book is the protagonist going to high-society parties. Now that I understand what it's about, I'm enjoying it for what it is.

I finished the book. It never really takes off, even the last third which deals with the outright theft of the presidential election. I preferred the sardonic first half of the book, which describes life among the wealthy elite.

I don't know enough history to be able to tell if the novel describes genuine 1876 corruption of if it describes Watergate corruption displaced to the past.
Kurt D (06-07-24)
Old 06-08-24, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 643 Likes on 372 Posts

Finished Koko by Peter Straub, and jumped right into Daughter of Regals by Stephen R. Donaldson.

It's a book of his early short stories that I had sitting around for decades and never bothered to read. I think after getting through all six (at the time) Chronicles of Thomas Covenant books, I needed a break and just never went back. It's been at least 30 years since I read Chronicles, and had the memory of Donaldson's writing as being a bit too heavy and ponderous, even though I enjoyed the books and was eager for each one when they came out. Anyway, Daughter of Regals shot that memory all to heck, as the stories were fun, entertaining, and not as bloviated as his Chroniclers stuff. Now I'm tempted to go back to Lord Foul's Bane as see what it was that drew me in originally.
Old 06-08-24, 03:16 PM

Whatcha think of Koko?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.