DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   Time Travel book recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/654919-time-travel-book-recommendations.html)

whotony 02-26-22 08:55 PM

Time Travel book recommendations

I have 4 Audible credits to burn before they expire next week.

Have these

Split Second
Time Frame
Somewhere In Time
Replay
Time and Again
From Time to Time
11-22-63
In Times Like These
TimeBound

Split Second by Douglas E. Richards is great. Time Frame is the follow up sequel

Reply was also great by Ken Grimwood

Time and Again is one of the best Time Travel stories I’ve read

So if anyone has some suggestions I’d love to hear them.

Too bad we can’t post this stuff in other, or can we…

tonyc3742 02-26-22 09:10 PM

Re: Time Travel book recommendations

Replay is one of my 're-read every few years' books. Love it.
I think I read Split Second and enjoyed it.
My most recent really great time travel find is
"The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O."

And I just found out there's a sequel to it...

Kurt D 02-26-22 09:34 PM

You didn't get my suggestions last month?

But seriously, I don't know much from that genre. The Stephen King book you already have is the only thing that came to mind.

TheBigDave 02-27-22 01:51 AM

You might want to check out Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I read it about 25 years ago, so I don't know how well it's held up. But I remember really liking it. Also, it's about a pandemic. So it could be more relevant today.

Pointyskull 02-27-22 12:41 PM

All Our Wrong Todays - Elan Mastai

PhantomStranger 02-27-22 03:07 PM

Dean Koontz's Lightning. I haven't read it in years but a compulsive read well worth the ride.

brainee 02-27-22 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 14065969)
You might want to check out Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I read it about 25 years ago, so I don't know how well it's held up. But I remember really liking it. Also, it's about a pandemic. So it could be more relevant today.

https://www.amazon.com/Doomsday-Book.../dp/0553562738

I have the same memories of the book. I remember being struck at how powerful it was, though I haven't read since it came out in paperback back in the 90s. I do remember one criticism I had of it (that I see reflected in other reader reviews) that it was a struggle to get through the "modern times" sections to get to the middle ages parts. And I fell out of reading Connie Willis not long after that since I didn't care for how she felt the need to insert screwball comedy into everything (even stories where it absolutely didn't belong).

It's an oldie but not that long ago I read Asimov's The End of Eternity for the first time and really enjoyed it. Despite all of the time travel stories since then, it still felt fresh to me (and the idea of a non-linear civilization where people hop between different times like someone going to a different country was interesting). And like other Asimov books that I've enjoyed the most, the heart of the book is a mystery story.

Since Replay is listed I'm assuming things are opened to non-conventional time travel stories. In a similar vein, I really liked Blake Crouch's Recursion. Speaking of which, I see his next sci-fi thriller (called Upgrade) is supposed to come out this summer! The synopsis sounds familiar (in fact there was a movie with the same title from a couple of years ago with a similar-sounding story), but I'll give Crouch the benefit of the doubt to bring something interesting.

The Midnight Library was a recent book I read like that too (a woman magically being able to go to the past to try out alternate life choice searching for one that she liked). While nothing really surprised me I though it was well-done.

I got into Peter Clines through his Lovecraftian-horror books (14, The Fold) but I really enjoyed a different type of book he wrote in this period: Paradox Bound. I just thought it was a lot of fun.

There are many others that I've read and enjoyed that fit this sub-genre but I'll stop for now. This reminds me I have to read This is How You Lose the Time War (which I have, but I keep not getting around to it ... probably after I finish the current book I'm reading).

rbrown498 02-27-22 04:38 PM

I'll recommend Timeline by Michael Crichton.

Nick Danger 02-27-22 05:01 PM

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. Mrs Danger was mad when I lent it to her because she wasn't able to go to bed until she finished the book.
Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer is one of my favorites. It's sort of a space opera version of time travel. Time opera?

whotony 02-27-22 05:23 PM

I already have a few of these in my wish list including
The Fold
Pardadox Bound
All our Wrong Todays

All These suggestions all sound interesting.
Current wish list. Still going through all the suggestions.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e9bbfb93a.jpeg

whotony 03-01-22 10:36 PM

Doomsday Book is 26 hrs
Dodo is 25 hrs.

not a deterrent but something to think about.

A couple aren’t on Audible.

Looks like The Fold and Paradox Bound are possible.

The Fold has some tough reviews about the way it closes out the story though.

whotony 03-01-22 10:43 PM

Doomsday Book is 26 hrs
Dodo is 25 hrs.

not a deterrent but something to think about.

A couple aren’t on Audible.

whotony 03-01-22 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pointyskull (Post 14066077)

All Our Wrong Todays - Elan Mastai

This looks interesting but lots of reviews complain about the lead being a whiney jerk.

brainee 03-02-22 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 14067528)

The Fold isn't a time travel book though (Paradox Bound is). If you were going to give Peter Clines' Lovecraftian horror books a shot, it might make more sense to start with 14 (which was the first in the series, and seems to be generally better regarded).

whotony 03-02-22 07:56 PM

These are what I ended up with.
Anubis Gate was only $4 so I bought that one.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...c2f3435b7.jpeg

whotony 03-02-22 07:57 PM

Now if I can ever finish listening to Ready Player 2
I might be able to start one of these.

Hokeyboy 03-02-22 08:03 PM

Highest possible recommendation to Recursion by Blake Crouch. This was stellar time-travel storytelling, epic yet intensely personal.

I also read Paradox Bound and found it interesting in parts but altogether unsatisfying (and kind of silly).

whotony 03-02-22 08:24 PM

Is Recursion part of a trilogy?

milo bloom 03-02-22 09:43 PM

The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold. He also wrote some Trek stuff.

Hokeyboy 03-04-22 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 14068104)
Is Recursion part of a trilogy?

Not that I'm aware of; it was entirely self-contained and ended fairly definitively. But if Crouch is setting something up with it, that's fine too. It never read as "Part 1 of the Recursion saga" or such-as.

jpcamb 03-04-22 10:45 AM

I really enjoyed Time Travelers Never Die by Jack McDevitt

Bronkster 03-05-22 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 14068139)
The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold. He also wrote some Trek stuff.

Gerrold wrote the Trouble with Tribbles episode. /fun facts

I read this back in 1975 or '76 and thought it was great. Bought a new copy (hardcover) copy a year or two ago and still enjoyed it. It's a quick read (even for a slow reader like me!) but a fun book.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. Time travel recommendations are always appreciate!

whotony 03-05-22 11:34 AM

That Man who folded himself book looks really good.
No audible version but looks like the kindle is under $10 so I might grab that one too.