Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What Are You Reading? (June 2019)

Old 06-02-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What Are You Reading? (June 2019)

Finished:

My 4th book by Daryl Gregory (after Spoonbenders, Pandemonium, and The Devil's Alphabet). I have to catch up with his others, since I've really enjoyed everything he's done. While all are in the general sci-fi/fantasy area, every book has been very distinct. And while they're entertaining, every book has depth to it that takes them beyond standard genre fare.
Old 06-03-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What Are You Reading? (June 2019)

Just finished this:

Some interesting concepts in it. Enjoyed it muchly.
Old 06-04-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Children of Dune
Old 06-04-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished:

China Mieville has been one of my favorite writers over the last 20 years. But I'm not sure what's been going on with him recently. He hasn't published a novel in 7 years, instead getting into more political and historical writing. Of course he should write what he wants, but I'm not interested in that. This is technically in the "new weird" genre that he's been a major force in, but I found it extremely unsatisfying. While it has moments of creepy effectiveness, the world and story is too undeveloped. That would be ok for me in a short story, but not a 100+ page novella. His other recent novella, The Last Days of Paris, sounds dreadful but his most recent collect, Three Moments of an Explosion, sounds like it will have more of the writing that I grew to love.
Old 06-04-19, 08:39 PM

We read - and all really enjoyed - The Disappearing Spoon and Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean for our book club. Fun pick, good writing, accessible history with lots of learning you actually want to know.
Old 06-08-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished this today:

I read a lot of Heinlein when I was younger, but never came across this one. Good stuff - typical Heinlein. Maybe I've become too sensitive to PC attitudes or whatever, but the ending kinda creeped me out.
Old 06-10-19, 08:28 AM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 06-10-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished:

I thought this was just great. Gregory is an excellent writer, I thought his take on the "zombie" story was fascinating: here, the ravenous killer phase of zombie-dom is only in the first 24-48 hours after being turned. After that, the person pretty much goes back to normal mentally (although they're still dead). In this world, the original zombie outbreak of 1968 (Romero's movie is considered a documentary) was contained. But afterwards there are tens of thousands of living dead trying to get on with their lives (made very difficult since, fearing another outbreak, authorities kill the living dead on sight). This book really goes all over the place: part coming-of-age family drama, part action thriller, part prison drama, political thriller ... and a little bit of zombie horror too.
Old 06-12-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Currently reading this:

Old 06-13-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Taking a break from reading The Design of Everyday Things to read Charlie Chan Carries On. Charlie Chan doesn't even appear until the book is more than half over.

I read Sirius by Olaf Stapleton a couple of weeks ago. A 1940s scientist makes a dog as intelligent as a person, and raises him beside his daughter. A combination of "a naif comments on society" and "the populace attacks anyone they don't understand".
Old 06-13-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm getting through a lot of reading these days Finished:

This is a little outside my genre comfort zone (it's a straight mystery/suspense thriller ... nothing fantastical or horror about it). But short chapters and an easy writing style made it a quick fun page-turner, silly at times. I liked how plot twists kept coming, right until the end (some I could coming, and others I couldn't).
Old 06-15-19, 10:38 AM
PAG

Just finished: