Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm writing a different kind of zombie story...

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and I REALLY need feedback is all, please. This is the gist of the story right here (or my book's description):

"Welcome to the Zombie New World Order!

…and nobody human is going to benefit. Conner, Marshall, Henry, Cynthia, Jules and Jeff are humans trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic, dystopian world where socialized zombies are the norm and humans are a scarce food source and actively hunted.

On the run and constantly looking over their shoulders, their only hope…a Human Survivor Camp rumored to be in Tennessee. With the walking dead hot and heavy on their heels, will this scared and exhausted group of six make it to safety with their minds – and bodies – intact?"

In my book, there are sentient, compassionate zombies that actually assist the living to stay alive (when they aren't trying to fight the urge to eat them). There are also zombie/human hybrids and Rager zombies (zombies that eat other zombies and become EXTRA -- though this is illegal in the new zombie-run world). Would anyone here be interested in reading something like this? Can you reply with your honest opinion of if you'd be interested in this new take of the zombie genre, please? Thank you so very much.

Old 05-29-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: I'm writing a different kind of zombie story...

First of all, if you want to write, go for it. Even if it sucks and doesn’t get published, you’ve homed your craft for the next book.
Second, sentient zombies isn’t a new concept. I read a book called The Reanimation of Edward Schuett that involved this. There’s the classic I Am Legend, which is vampires, but close enough. The movie Warm Bodies also had this, and I think it was based on a book. Then there’s the tv show In The Flesh, and from what I remember there was some kind of weird sentient pseudo-zombie on Z Nation.
My point is that the concept isn’t as original as you may think, but that shouldn’t stop you from writing if that’s what you want to do.
And yes, I would read it. We have another member here that wrote a trilogy that was zombie-esque and I read and enjoyed all of them. I can’t remember his username but his real name is Jason Bovberg.
Old 06-03-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: I'm writing a different kind of zombie story...

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
First of all, if you want to write, go for it. Even if it sucks and doesn’t get published, you’ve homed your craft for the next book.
Second, sentient zombies isn’t a new concept. I read a book called The Reanimation of Edward Schuett that involved this. There’s the classic I Am Legend, which is vampires, but close enough. The movie Warm Bodies also had this, and I think it was based on a book. Then there’s the tv show In The Flesh, and from what I remember there was some kind of weird sentient pseudo-zombie on Z Nation.
My point is that the concept isn’t as original as you may think, but that shouldn’t stop you from writing if that’s what you want to do

Good advice. I remember a book from the 80s called Wet Work that had as its premise zombies being organized and actively hunting humans for food. And The Strain and The Passage (technically vampires, but rather zombie-like in their portrayal) had the idea of a dystopia ruled by monsters harvesting humans for food. But you could certainly write something that still stands apart on its own. One thing for certain ... zombies are so overdone for me that it would take a different spin on the genre to get me to try a new author (like The Girl With All the Gifts or Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy did in recent years).