Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What Are You Reading? (March 2019)

Old 03-02-19, 03:55 PM

Books im planning on reading this month of March

The Ceremonies

Star Wars Thrawn
Star Wars Thrawn Alliances
Star Wars Battlefront II Inferno Squad for the 2nd time.
To Kill a Mockingbird
Stephen King's Sleeping Beauties
Old 03-04-19, 08:17 AM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 03-04-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: What Are You Reading? (February 2019)

First two books were fun and I'm enjoying this one, as well.
Old 03-04-19, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just started

Been meaning to read this for years, but held off since I moved away from physical books a long time ago. Finally gave in and bought it.

Its been a while since I've had to really concentrate so hard while reading. You really have to get in the zone, but once you do, I'm very much enjoying it.
Old 03-09-19, 11:10 AM

Currently Im reading The Ceremonies.

Also in the mail today I got the paperback of Star Wars X Wing Wedge's Gambit. Its in pretty good shape too. I got alot of catching up to with all of the X Wing novels
Old 03-09-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished Ashenden, started Lady Chatterley's Lover.
Old 03-14-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just finished Heretics of Dune. I'm not very enthused about starting Chapterhouse: Dune (Frank Herbert's final Dune book written before his death), since it apparently ends with the story still very much up in the air. His son Brian and another author penned two more books to wrap up the original series, but I believe they tied in some characters and elements from their own "Legends of Dune" prequel series into the plot. Not eager to jump into all that, especially since my enjoyment of this series has diminished with each consecutive installment.

Currently making my way through Gone With the Wind. I bought a beautiful "Twentieth Century Classics" version of it at a flea market about twenty years ago. Figured it was high time I got around to reading it.

My favorite movie is The Empire Strikes Back, so it was amusing to discover that Lawrence Kasdan had obviously adapted the dialogue between Rhett and Scarlett from chapter 19 and used it for the famous "You like me because I'm a scoundrel." scene with Han and Leia:
"Don't pull away! I won't hurt you!"
"Hurt me? I'm not afraid of you Rhett Butler, or of any man in shoe leather!"
"Scarlett, you do like me, don't you?"
"Well, sometimes," she answered cautiously. "When you aren't acting like a varmint".
"I think you like me because I'm a varmint. You've known so few dyed-in-the-wool varmints in your sheltered life that my very difference hold a quaint charm for you."
"That's not true! I like nice men-men you can depend on to be gentlemanly."

Last edited by joe_b; 03-29-19 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 06:28 AM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 03-15-19, 11:55 AM

Old 03-19-19, 12:15 PM

Re: What Are You Reading? (March 2019)

I decided to read Dean Koontz's Frankenstein book 1 Prodigal Son for the rest of this month.

The Ceremonies is taking too long to read lol.
Old 03-20-19, 10:04 AM

I am currently reading:

Old 03-20-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished my 3rd reread of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Started the GRRM book about the hedge knight set 1000 before Game of Thrones.
Old 03-21-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished Foundation and Empire and started The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Will finish the Foundation trilogy after that.
Old 03-21-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
I decided to read Dean Koontz's Frankenstein book 1 Prodigal Son for the rest of this month.
I really like the first 2 books in that trilogy. The 3rd one not so much.

Old 03-21-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Ceremonies is taking too long to read lol.
The TED Klein book? Or is there another book called "The Ceremonies" (which doesn't sound like a unique title) that I'm not aware of? It's been ages since I've read it (probably not long after it was originally released).

Finished a couple more books in the Dresden Files series:

The series is enjoyable light reading for me. But it was probably a mistake to read a couple of them back-to-back since in the second book all of the "sameness" of it was making me not enjoy it as much as when it had been some time between books in the series.
Old 03-22-19, 03:37 AM

Yes I am talking about the old TED Klein The Ceremonies book. What do you think I was talking about??

Its a decent book but the beginning of the book is slow. Ill have to read it some other time since I have alot of other books to catch up on such as Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series and bunch of Star Wars and Mistborn

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
The TED Klein book? Or is there another book called "The Ceremonies" (which doesn't sound like a unique title) that I'm not aware of? It's been ages since I've read it (probably not long after it was originally released).

Finished a couple more books in the Dresden Files series:
yes I am talking about the old TED Klein The Ceremonies book. Its not bad for an old 1980s horror book but the beginning is slow. Ill have to read it some other time since I have alot of other books to catch up on

The series is enjoyable light reading for me. But it was probably a mistake to read a couple of them back-to-back since in the second book all of the "sameness" of it was making me not enjoy it as much as when it had been some time between books in the series.
Old 03-22-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished Lady Chatterley's Lover. What a dreary book. Pages of philosophizing that technology had taken the manliness out of men and the womanhood out of women. Pages at a time of psychological analysis of the characters. Pages of taking stands and fighting battles that are now long ago won or lost about marital sex and extramarital sex. I liked the descriptions of the class system, of how industrialization affected the rural economy, and of how WWI changed everything. Also of how relations between men and women were affected while everything was being changed.

The actual plot is about a woman who has great sex with someone, and she believes that it hadn't happened since Adam and Eve. Since she and her lover are special, they think social rules don't apply to them. They're wrong.

The book was banned from the 1920s until the 1960s because it printed the words "fuck" and "****". Nowadays "fuck" is in the titles of bestselling books. I don't think that's an improvement. At least Lawrence was trying to make a point with his language, instead of merely going for a juvenile shock.

I took a break from Lady Chatterley to read Payment Deferred by C.S. Forester. It tells the story of a husband and father who kills a man for his money, and the long-term effects that had on him and his family. The story is a tragedy, with everyone ending badly, but it was less dreary than Lady Chatterley. I liked it.

ETA: I see that the C-word is unprintable here.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 03-22-19 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 03:23 PM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 03-27-19, 12:35 PM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 03-27-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes I am talking about the old TED Klein The Ceremonies book. What do you think I was talking about??
Seemed like one of those titles that might've been used more than once. If I had more free time (and less of a backlog of unread books), it would be nice if I could go back and reread some things that I only read once decades ago.

Its a decent book but the beginning of the book is slow. Ill have to read it some other time since I have alot of other books to catch up on such as Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series and bunch of Star Wars and Mistborn
I really enjoyed the first Mistborn trilogy (my first exposure to Brandon Sanderson). I'm about 40% of the way through the second book of the Stormlight series:

Old 03-29-19, 09:02 AM

For April, I just started re-reading Star Wars Coruscant Nights Book 1 and along with that the new Thrawn books
Old 03-29-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 03-29-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about halfway through Brideshead Revisited. I'm enjoying it.

I realized that one thing that I'm liking about Evelyn Waugh and Somerset Maugham is that they base their characters on real people, and the characters breathe. DH Lawrence's characters are all archetypes, and it's like they're animatronic statues.

But I think I've read enough fiction about the British upper class in the 1920s for a while.