Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Harlan Ellison Is Gone

Old 07-01-18, 04:59 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,704
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
What are some good starting books of his for someone who hasnt read anything by him?
See if you can track down any edition of "The Essential Ellison"
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 07-01-18, 09:47 PM
  #27  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 33,824
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
What are some good starting books of his for someone who hasnt read anything by him?
Do you have Prime? Some of his best stuff is free for Prime members on kindle.
Trevor is online now  
Old 07-02-18, 09:46 AM
  #28  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 33,824
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

Nice story from Mark Evanier about him.
https://www.newsfromme.com/2018/06/3...ellison-story/
Trevor is online now  
Old 07-02-18, 09:52 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
JANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: on some faraway beach
Posts: 1,822
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

I have no Ellison and I must dream.
JANK is offline  
Old 07-23-18, 04:06 PM
  #30  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 33,824
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

Was looking for something else, and stumbled upon this nice Ellison remembrance.
https://www.comicmix.com/2018/07/17/...he-told-us-all
Trevor is online now  
Old 07-24-18, 07:03 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,353
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

I used to see Ellison at Star Trek and science fiction conventions back in the '70s. He would do these comic mock debates with Isaac Asimov to packed crowds in massive hotel ballrooms. He was a wild man. They were always complaining about Paramount dragging its feet on producing a Star Trek movie. Ellison would complain about Barry Diller in particular and how Diller rejected Ellison's "blasphemous" ST script.

I recommend Ellison's books of TV reviews from 1968-72: The Glass Teat and The Other Teat. I can't think of anything else that captures the polarization of the era better than those columns (originally done for the L.A. Free Press). Worth reading in light of today's polarization which is a skewed variation of '60s-era polarization, but bit more primal if you ask me.
Ash Ketchum is online now  
Old 07-24-18, 09:34 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,701
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

"Harlan Ellison's Watching" is probably my favorite collection of film reviews/criticism. If for only introducing me to the movies of Val Lewton alone... dayenu.
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 08-29-18, 12:29 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DaveNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sacramento (The City of a Beer)
Posts: 6,662
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

I read "Repent, Harlequin, Said the Tick Tock Man," yesterday (it was the only one of his titles my library had for free kindle check out). I didn't really like it.
Are his other titles similar or is this one stylistically different?
DaveNinja is online now  
Old 08-29-18, 03:14 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 29,753
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I read "Repent, Harlequin, Said the Tick Tock Man," yesterday (it was the only one of his titles my library had for free kindle check out). I didn't really like it.
Are his other titles similar or is this one stylistically different?
Pretty similar.

You might want to give the stories "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream'" "Jeffty is Five," and "Shatterday," a try if you can find them.

I kind if hate to say this, but I think Harlan Ellison is generally oversold to the point where, when someone reads his stories for the first time, their reaction will be That's it? If it wasn't for Ellison's overbearing personality and his singular ability to court controversy, he probably wouldn't be much more than a footnote in the history on genre fiction.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 08-31-18, 01:38 PM
  #35  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 33,824
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

A bunch of his books are in a good sci-fi ebook sale going on today only.
https://theportalist.com/1000-ebook-sale
Trevor is online now  
Old 09-20-18, 12:30 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,899
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Pretty similar.

You might want to give the stories "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream'" "Jeffty is Five," and "Shatterday," a try if you can find them.

I kind if hate to say this, but I think Harlan Ellison is generally oversold to the point where, when someone reads his stories for the first time, their reaction will be That's it? If it wasn't for Ellison's overbearing personality and his singular ability to court controversy, he probably wouldn't be much more than a footnote in the history on genre fiction.
Not for me.
I don't remember which of his stories I read first, but it may have been "Jeffty is Five." That was a really good short story.
Maybe you're right that the way he promoted himself helped him to be considered more than he was, but I don't think I would consider him to be overrated.
In fact, I would go as far as to say, I can understand why he was so cocky. His style of writing seems so effortless. There's no points, that I've read, where it seems like he's trying to hard or stumbles at certain parts.
brayzie is offline  
Old 10-15-18, 10:45 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 1,098
Re: Harlan Ellison Is Gone

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Not for me.
I don't remember which of his stories I read first, but it may have been "Jeffty is Five." That was a really good short story.
Maybe you're right that the way he promoted himself helped him to be considered more than he was, but I don't think I would consider him to be overrated.
In fact, I would go as far as to say, I can understand why he was so cocky. His style of writing seems so effortless. There's no points, that I've read, where it seems like he's trying to hard or stumbles at certain parts.

Not everything Ellison wrote was gold for sure, but whose writing is. I grew up scouring used book stores for old Ellison paperbacks, and he was one of the most important authors in shaping my worldview at the time. While his name is pretty well known to classic SF geeks, I hardly think he's oversold. I reread "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" recently and still found it as powerful as the first time. I suspect I'll feel the same when I get around to rereading "The Whimper of Whipped Dogs" or something simple like "Blink"

I've certainly come to realize it's easy to buy into Ellison's own hype if you put the man on too high a pedestal as an author. I was never so disappointed as reading his original screenplay treatment of Star Trek's City On the Edge of Forever, or reading about what happened with The Last Dangerous Visions anthology, or his overzealous litigiousness nature which, while in his prerogative, doesn't endear him to fans very much I think.

Still, his books were very important to me so his passing was very sad to me.
fiver is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.