Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Salems Lot: is still tops for me - that book is just masterfully written, the way he sets up the town in the beginning without boring you once...not an easy feat to pull off and you feel like you're in the town. Just love it - creep factor gets pretty high as well.

Gerald's game: Heard this one is going to be a movie soon - hope they do it justice...one hell of an intro.

Thinner: "The fun Bachman book" as I like to call it - the movie was horrendous.

IT: so confession, I read about half of this book as a kid...just never went back to it - not because of the length or because I thought it was bad or anything - quite the opposite - I just simply never went back to it.

Misery: Wish the movie took more elements from the book - think anyone who has read it knows what I'm talking about.

The Bad:

Dolores Claiborne: I just couldn't get into this one - here's a cool spoiler for those of you not in the know
Spoiler:
Gerald's Game has a moment where the protagonist has a vision of Dolores Claiborne and the Dolores Claibrone novel addresses this as well - pretty cool
Old 09-10-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 740 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Salems Lot: is still tops for me - that book is just masterfully written, the way he sets up the town in the beginning without boring you once...not an easy feat to pull off and you feel like you're in the town. Just love it - creep factor gets pretty high as well.
I think the reason I love 'Salem's Lot so much is that it is so like Peyton Place, a classic "bad trash" novel. King borrowed a lot of elements of small town secrecy from that one. I read or listen to 'Salem's Lot every fall to get me in the mood for Halloween. I started listening today while I was working in my kitchen.
Old 09-12-17, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Over in the movie forum, I'm hosting a Stephen King movie game. Players can submit answers through Monday.
Old 09-18-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I don't think Lisey's Story is the novel to judge King by. Even in the more generous reviews by King fans, it ranks low compared to his other novels.

If you like his older short story collections, I would think one of his classics from the 70s and 80s would be a better introduction to his novels. Something lean and mean like Pet Sematary or Salems Lot.
Thanks for the recommendations. I've already seen Pet Sematary so I don't kno if I want to read it in book form. Salem's Lot sounds interesting though so I'll try and check that out.
Old 09-22-17, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

While one of the better adaptations of SK's work, the movie version of Pet Sematary doesn't hold a candle to the book.

Also, happy belated birthday to the master. Yesterday was Stephen King's 70th.
Old 09-23-17, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

I'm 800 pages into the long version of The Stand, and it's starting to drag. I must be in the part where King was feeling writer's block, and took drastic action. I still have 400 pages to go in this doorstopper.
Old 09-27-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I finished Talisman. It was okay. thats about all i can say about it, haha
Old 09-27-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I bailed and started the Mist again.
Old 10-02-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked The Stand. It also had a satisfying ending.
Old 10-08-17, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a pile of spare SK stuff, as well. Mainly paperbacks.

Does the site have a book exchange?
Old 10-11-17, 11:59 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

So I started reading King's books in order recently, and I started wondering if I should skip the Dark Towers books for now or just stay in publication order and read them as I come to them. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-17, 04:10 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flansered
So I started reading King's books in order recently, and I started wondering if I should skip the Dark Towers books for now or just stay in publication order and read them as I come to them. Any suggestions?
Skip. Take that on as a separate/collective project.
Old 10-12-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

If you're reading King's oeuvre in publication order, I'd probably read the DT books in there in publication order. Since the DT books draw from almost everything else King has written, then by doing that you can see how he developed his mythology in realtime.
Old 10-22-17, 10:39 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

What about Eyes of the Dragon? Should that be held back until I tackle the Dark Tower books?
Old 10-22-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Thinner: "The fun Bachman book" as I like to call it - the movie was horrendous.
Speaking of the Bachman books, "The Long Walk" is one of my favorites, a fantastic book that will probably never be made into a movie due to the subject matter. "Rage" (which will also likely never be adapted to film for the same reason as "The Long Walk") and "The Running Man" (crappy film adaptation that strays very far from the original story) are great too.
Old 10-22-17, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

What about Eyes of the Dragon? Should that be held back until I tackle the Dark Tower books?
Nope, read it before Drawing of the Three (DT2).
Old 10-22-17, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Speaking of the Bachman books, "The Long Walk" is one of my favorites, a fantastic book that will probably never be made into a movie due to the subject matter.
Frank Darabont currently owns the rights and swears he's going to make it eventually.
Old 01-17-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started "Revival" less than a week ago and I'm almost done with the damn book - can't put it down. The synopsis on the back of the book struck me instantly and I had to buy it - just seemed like vintage King and it is.
Old 01-17-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Speaking of the Bachman books, "The Long Walk" is one of my favorites, a fantastic book that will probably never be made into a movie due to the subject matter. "Rage" (which will also likely never be adapted to film for the same reason as "The Long Walk") and "The Running Man" (crappy film adaptation that strays very far from the original story) are great too.
Cool - I'll have to read them soon - I'm back on a "King kick".
Old 01-18-18, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

This sucks: Thousands of rare, first edition Stephen King books and manuscripts destroyed in freak accident.

According to Bangor Daily News, the water that flooded Winters’ basement was the result of an exploded water main directly in front of the store where the collection was stored. Soon after the main broke, Winters’ basement was filled with water high enough to reach his chest and the boxes containing the documents were ruined. Winters estimates that nearly 90% of the collection—which also included signed works from J.R.R. Tolkien and George R.R. Martin—was destroyed.

Under normal circumstances, the collection would have been stored safely in the upper levels of Winters’ shop but this happened to be the week he decided to move most of the books to the basement while he reorganized. Understandably, he’s going through a period of mourning. Winter told Bangor Daily News, “You can’t replace this stuff.”
Old 01-18-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow that does suck. On the one day he decided to temporarily move them as well.
Old 01-18-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished Revival, thought it was outstanding - some of the best characters King has ever brought to life.

Leave it to King to be able to combine a normal "almost" country like, good hearted family from the 60's steeped in

general religious belief and a "The Void" movie like atmosphere - made my brain warp.

Somewhat minor gripe
Spoiler:
I wish he would have gone into how Jacobs made his devices - never once did he give nay

detail as to how the evil he was studying led to the designated construction of the devices

Also, as descriptive as King is (warning, this is a huge spoiler)
Spoiler:
I kind of dug how while you may be quite

sure Jamie wasn't institutionalized at the end, King only provides enough detail to really not be so sure - I'm

talking about how Jamie is now in Hawaii with Con and just so happens Con is in the same building Jamie see his shrink

at - Jamie is also hopped up on anti-depressants trying to avoid the inevitable suicide trip to the null but by the

last few sentences of the book...he may already be there - I loved that touch.
Old 01-19-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

http://ew.com/books/2018/01/18/steph...utsider-cover/
Old 01-19-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished 11/5/63 a couple of weeks ago. I liked it.

I've already read "The Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury and "Try and Change the Past" by Fritz Leiber. Nobody would be able to talk me into going back in time to save JFK.
Old 01-19-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw this and the synopsis sounds great - definitely going to pick it up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.