Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend a Stephen King book!

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: Which novel should I read/revist next?
Tommyknockers
0%
Joyland
8.70%
From a Buick 8
8.70%
Cell
13.04%
Just After Sunset
0%
Lisey's Story
0%
Duma Key
8.70%
11/22/63
43.48%
Doctor Sleep
4.35%
Mr. Mercedes
0%
Revival
13.04%
Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole
0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

King is probably my favorite author but I've fallen behind on his post accident work. Prior to his accident I had devoured everything but Tommyknockers. Post accident I've had quite a few starts and stops (Cell, Buick, Just After Sunset, Joyland, Wind through Keyhole). I loved Under the Dome (probably favorite since mid 90's King, and obviously finished and loved the Dark Tower series.

So what say you dvdtalkers? What should I read next? Should I revisit one I never finished or forge ahead on a newer novel? Or even go back and knock out Tommyknockers?
Old 12-21-14, 06:11 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Recommend a Stephen King book!

I think most King fans would agree that 11/22/63 should be on that list. While I don't hold it to the elevated status that some give it (the love story portion bogged it down for me), it is still a very impactful read.
Old 12-21-14, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JAA
I think most King fans would agree that 11/22/63 should be on that list. While I don't hold it to the elevated status that some give it (the love story portion bogged it down for me), it is still a very impactful read.
I read it over the summer and loved it. I definitely would put it on the list.
Old 12-21-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Duma Key is underrated although I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one.

I think I'm going to give From A Buick 8 another try. My least favorite King book yet I've heard others really enjoyed that one.
Old 12-21-14, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

11/22/63 was great except for the love story but I went with From A Buick 8. It's not the most compelling characters or story, but there's just something about it that I enjoy enough to just pick up and read for no reason.
Old 12-21-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have not read 11/22/63, then its my pick. Excellent story. King is in top form!
Old 12-21-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I guess I'm the sole vote for Joyland. Not that others aren't worth reading. But if you're struggling getting through them, it makes more sense to try a 200 page book versus a 1000 page book.
Old 12-21-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11/22/63 was great. Do it.
Old 12-21-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Tommyknockers is a solid King novel, though I don't think anyone ranks it amongst his best work.
Old 12-22-14, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Another vote for 11/22/63...one of King's really good efforts where his ending was as strong as everything leading up to it.
Old 12-22-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Joyland is alot of fun. A very easy, entertaining and nice read. Perfect if you're on some type of winter vacation.

11/22/63 is great...but be prepared for a time suck.

Mr.Mercedes is weird......I didn't realize it was just a crime book til I was halfway through it.

Still....every fan of the Shining should read Doctor Sleep. Some very spooky things going on in that book.

His newest, Revival, is another good one. Very old school King horror there. It felt like it came out in the late 70's so that's the one I voted for.
Old 12-22-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Good stuff guys. Looks like 11/22/63 is the winner. And a good ending as well? I'm pumped now.
Old 12-22-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I voted for Joyland too. Like you, Michael, I really enjoyed Under The Dome. I think you'll like Joyland. I loved it and I thought it had a good ending too. I've owned 11/22/63 for a couple years now, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet since I know it'll devour a lot of my time. I'll probably start it soon since football season is about to end and I'll have a lot more time to read during the winter weekends. The ebook version of 11/22/63 is on sale for $2.99 on Amazon right now.
Old 12-23-14, 01:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not read any of his post-accident stuff but, when I finish my current backlog (2016?), I may well give the top choices here a go.

[Insert, this thread will still be on page one wittticism here].

As a teen, for years I eschewed King in the mistakien belief that he was "just a horror writer".

At some point I happened across "Firestarter" and thought hmmm, maybe there's more to this guy than meets the eye but didn't take it any further. I was also gloriously spooked by the David Soul/James Mason tv version of "Salem's Lot".

Some years later a work colleague loaned me, would you believe, "The Tommyknockers" and I again was surprised by the science-fictional element. I probably read half a dozen more from his oeuvre - including the very impressive (and long) "It".

Somewhere along the line I picked up some or all of the Dark Tower series but never got around to reading them and think I may have passed them on to my nephew when I heard that there was an extended edition!

So, er, anyway, ... great thread!

Old 12-23-14, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

at this still being on page one in 2 years.

Started 11/22/63 last night. About 100pp in so far. This is right up my alley. It's also a unique one in that usually 100pp in a King book means we're still meeting new characters. In this one there are 3 players and the story just is off and running. It's a nice change of pace for King.

As for the reason I brought up Tommyknockers, well not just because it's the only 'classic King' I never read, but I also read that King has said he had never been more coked up/drunk(? don't recall which) than when he wrote that one. Knowing that going in versus finding out after you read it makes it more intriguing for some reason.
Old 12-24-14, 06:21 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
at this still being on page one in 2 years.

Started 11/22/63 last night. About 100pp in so far. This is right up my alley. It's also a unique one in that usually 100pp in a King book means we're still meeting new characters. In this one there are 3 players and the story just is off and running. It's a nice change of pace for King. . .
Not to cast a negative shadow over your reading enjoyment, but I actually enjoyed the very portion of the story you are in right now the best. The characters and early storyline took me right back to the classic IT - and I couldn't put it down! That said, it lost steam dramatically in the middle portion when that damn "romance" starts. While I found that portion a bit long and dragged out, it was still critical to the overall story. Anyway, enjoy!
Old 12-24-14, 10:49 AM

Let's not forget that King's son Joe Hill gave him the idea for the ending of 11/22/63 after reading the original and King changed it. King has gone back to his shitty endings since then in my opinion.
Old 12-24-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good stuff guys. Looks like 11/22/63 is the winner. And a good ending as well? I'm pumped now.
I think for the length of the book, King took time to give us a great ending...unlike say, Under the Dome, which was just as long, but the ending seemed rushed and unsatisfying.

I see a lot of people don't like the love story aspect of it, but that's the point of the whole book...it IS a love story.
Old 01-05-15, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith6601
Let's not forget that King's son Joe Hill gave him the idea for the ending of 11/22/63 after reading the original and King changed it. King has gone back to his shitty endings since then in my opinion.
I'd disagree with this entirely on Revival's ending. It fit perfectly and worked very well.

Also, speaking of Joe Hill, any fan of classic King horror owes it to themselves to check out N0S4A2. I enjoyed the hell out of that book, more than any of King's post-accident work except maybe 11/22/63. And for those who also read graphic novels, Hill's Locke & Key was excellent as well.
Old 01-06-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished 11/22/63 last night. Fantastic book. I think I liked the first two thirds (testing things, living in the past, the love story) more than anything that dealt with Kennedy/Oswald. Oswald was easily the weakest part of the story, and kinda boring as well. I couldn't wait until Jake would go back to Jodie. I also loved every bit of the ending, especially the final couple pages to the final words.

Ending talk:
Spoiler:
Multiple times throughout reading the story I kept thinking/wondering if King could pull off a Twilight Zone type of ending where Jake solves everything but doesn't get the girl, or something goes wrong at the end. More specifically "Time Enough At Last" kept popping into my head with the scorched earth. I didn't think King could or would take it that far so that really surprised me.

As for Sadie, having her do all kinds of charitable work because Kennedy was shot was a beautiful touch. Not knowing Sadie's original future kept rattling around in my head throughout (like Harry with the limp, then died in Vietnam, etc). So not knowing what Jake was potentially screwing up with her future kind of lingered. I'm glad it wasn't left as a loose end.

Also, the last dance at the end? Amazing.

So do we know how much of the ending Joe Hill had input on? There are a couple different areas you could point to where things could have taken a different course.

Anyway, I'm surprised at all the folks that didn't enjoy the love story. Having finished, it's what the entire novel is... a love story. I loved it. The Kennedy assassination was the hook to get people to pick it up off the shelf but was nothing more than something to kick the story in motion and give it an end game.

This might be my favorite King book in quite some time, and I loved Under the Dome (but gets dinged for the ending).

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I think I'll start Joyland next. Looks short enough to breeze through.
Old 01-06-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyway, I'm surprised at all the folks that didn't enjoy the love story. Having finished, it's what the entire novel is... a love story. I loved it. The Kennedy assassination was the hook to get people to pick it up off the shelf but was nothing more than something to kick the story in motion and give it an end game.
See, I told ya.

The going back to stop the assassination is just a classic "McGuffin" that King uses to tell the story he really wants to tell.
Old 01-09-15, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree, it was a love story. I loved 11/22/63. It might be my favorite post-accident novel of his. Admittedly, I haven't read as much of his recent stuff as his earlier (80's and 90's) work.
Old 01-09-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

aaaand Joyland is done. Another good one. Started off pretty slow though. First hundred pages or so were rough. Maybe a little too much back story before kicking in.
Old 01-13-15, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I'd disagree with this entirely on Revival's ending. It fit perfectly and worked very well.
I just finished Revival this morning. While it's probably my least favorite recent King novel, I agree that the ending is perfect.

So do we know how much of the ending Joe Hill had input on? There are a couple different areas you could point to where things could have taken a different course.
King put the original ending on his website.

http://stephenking.com/other/112263/112263.html
Old 01-16-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, that's a terrible ending. Thanks for posting it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.