DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   Stephen King -- "Mr. Mercedes" -- New Novel -- 6/3/2014 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/619977-stephen-king-mr-mercedes-new-novel-6-3-2014-a.html)

auto 05-10-14 09:34 AM

Stephen King -- "Mr. Mercedes" -- New Novel -- 6/3/2014

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Mrmercedes.jpg

During his Chancellor's Speaker Series talk at University of Massachusetts Lowell on December 7, 2012, King indicated that he was writing a crime novel about a retired policeman being taunted by a murderer. With a working title Mr. Mercedes and inspired by a true event about a woman driving her car into a McDonald's restaurant, it was originally meant to be a short story just a few pages long. In an interview with Parade, published May 26, 2013, King confirmed that the novel was "more or less" completed. Describing the novel for an interview with USA Today, published on September 18, 2013, King said that while it was started prior to the Boston Marathon bombings, Mr. Mercedes involves a terrorist plot which is "too creepily close for comfort".

Plot

Spoiler:
A cop named Bill Hodges must come out of retirement to stop a crazed man named Brady Hartfield, who drove his Mercedes into a job fair in a Midwestern city that left 8 people dead and 15 wounded. Prior to the event, Brady lived with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loves the feel of death on the wheels of his Mercedes, so that's why he carried out the crime. If Bill, along with his allies, don't act fast, Brady's next attack, if it succeeds, could kill or maim thousands.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Mercedes

Big SK fan but this was completely off my radar. Sounds pretty good.

DaveNinja 05-12-14 11:59 AM

Re: Stephen King -- "Mr. Mercedes" -- New Novel -- 6/3/2014

I read the exert from it in EW and will likely read it. sounds like it could be good

writer106 05-16-14 06:13 PM

I'll probably buy this and it sounds pretty good. I have enjoyed SK's other recent books 11/22/63 and Joyland.

Rob V 05-17-14 08:35 AM

11/22/63 was my favorite novel of all time so SK gets a lifetime pass from me.

mhg83 05-19-14 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 12109255)
11/22/63 was my favorite novel of all time so SK gets a lifetime pass from me.

11/22/63 is right up there with my favorite SK books. If I had to list my top 3:

1.The Green Mile
2.11/22/63
3.The Stand

auto 05-25-14 09:15 PM

Those are good but you've got some reading to do brother.

Mr. Flix 05-26-14 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 12111252)
11/22/63 is right up there with my favorite SK books. If I had to list my top 3:

1.The Green Mile
2.11/22/63
3.The Stand

The correct answer is:

1. Pet Sematery
2. IT
3. The Shining

Dr. DVD 05-26-14 07:56 PM

I will give this a shot, even if it does seem like a movie treatment.

Shoveler 05-30-14 05:22 PM

Will definitely be reading it, currently halfway through Doctor Sleep, with Wind Through the Keyhole near the top of my queue. Doctor Sleep is excellent so far.

flair 06-03-14 08:12 PM

Picked up the audiobook today. So far, so good.

writer106 06-03-14 09:42 PM

I picked up a copy today and I'll probably start reading tomorrow or the day after. I need to finish up Joyland, which I've been enjoying so far.

story 06-04-14 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by flair (Post 12126441)
Picked up the audiobook today. So far, so good.

Flair, does King read it himself? That's always a lot of fun.

Gotta admit, the subject matter doesn't necessarily entice me but I've pre-misjudged King's books before. For example, I didn't think From a Buick 8 sounded any good and it turned out to be my favorite book of his.

flair 06-04-14 07:13 PM

Unfortunately not. I really enjoy when he does his own. On Writing was especially enjoyable because of that and years back I found a copy of The Drawing of the Three that was like a whole new novel when read by King.

The reader sounds like he is channeling the main character, definitely not just reading the book. I didn't know if I'd like it either, but it's been a solid read so far. Retired detective coming back for one last case against an unknown psycho. Strong character development in a short time, definitely holding my interest for a book I didn't think sounded that great either. I'm only a few hours in out of 14 though, so who knows.

Sean O'Hara 06-13-14 01:39 PM

From King's Facebook page:

Dear Constant Reader,

Mr. Mercedes is the first volume of a projected trilogy concerning Bill Hodges, his friends…and his enemies. The second volume, Finders Keepers, is finished (in first draft, at least) and will be published in the first half of 2015, perhaps followed by a book of new stories in the fall (or not). Anyway, these three novels seem to revolve around the City Center Massacre that opens Mr. Mercedes.
He goes on to list all the victims of the massacre, who will apparently be playing a role in the sequels.

Anubis2005X 06-13-14 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by flair (Post 12127538)
Unfortunately not. I really enjoy when he does his own. On Writing was especially enjoyable because of that and years back I found a copy of The Drawing of the Three that was like a whole new novel when read by King.

The reader sounds like he is channeling the main character, definitely not just reading the book. I didn't know if I'd like it either, but it's been a solid read so far. Retired detective coming back for one last case against an unknown psycho. Strong character development in a short time, definitely holding my interest for a book I didn't think sounding that great either. I'm only a few hours in out of 14 though, so who knows.

I haven't listened to any of this yet, but it looks like it's the same narrator as Doctor Sleep (read by Will Patton). Haven't quite finished with that one yet, but he does a great job narrating imho...

maxfisher 06-16-14 09:34 AM

Just finished this over breakfast this morning. Well paced read, but a little disappointing. I haven't read Joyland yet, but would rank Mercedes behind his other last three full novels (11/22/63, The Wind Through the Keyhole & Doctor Sleep). One thing that really took me out of it:

Spoiler:
What was with the way the cops, public, reporters, etc. wanted to blame the Mercedes' owner for leaving her keys in her car? It was a bizarre plot point to me initially and kept getting brought up again and again. If some nut stole a car and used it in a crime, I can't imagine any real person actually blaming the car's owner for accidentally leaving their keys in it. I mean, if someone swiped a shovel from my garage and used it to brain someone, I wouldn't expect the cops to repeatedly question whether or not I'd left the door open, insinuating that somehow would result in culpability. If he'd mentioned it once, it would've just been a quirk I passed over, but to have characters keep bringing it up and have several plot points revolve around it, it seemed really off to me and kept breaking me out of being immersed in the book.

Anyway, I enjoyed the characters, but King always does an amazing job with characters. Plot just was a little weak. Hopefully he comes up with better for the other two in the trilogy.

rw2516 06-16-14 03:26 PM

Seems another King novel is coming out already in Nov. Revival

writer106 06-21-14 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 12140667)
Just finished this over breakfast this morning. Well paced read, but a little disappointing. I haven't read Joyland yet, but would rank Mercedes behind his other last three full novels (11/22/63, The Wind Through the Keyhole & Doctor Sleep). One thing that really took me out of it:

Spoiler:
What was with the way the cops, public, reporters, etc. wanted to blame the Mercedes' owner for leaving her keys in her car? It was a bizarre plot point to me initially and kept getting brought up again and again. If some nut stole a car and used it in a crime, I can't imagine any real person actually blaming the car's owner for accidentally leaving their keys in it. I mean, if someone swiped a shovel from my garage and used it to brain someone, I wouldn't expect the cops to repeatedly question whether or not I'd left the door open, insinuating that somehow would result in culpability. If he'd mentioned it once, it would've just been a quirk I passed over, but to have characters keep bringing it up and have several plot points revolve around it, it seemed really off to me and kept breaking me out of being immersed in the book.

Anyway, I enjoyed the characters, but King always does an amazing job with characters. Plot just was a little weak. Hopefully he comes up with better for the other two in the trilogy.

That also took me out of it
Spoiler:
I agree, it was annoying how Olivia T was blamed by the public and the cops for the car part. King did make her unlikeable, but she never deserved what happened to her. I liked that her sister was pissed at the cops and others.

Crocker Jarmen 06-22-14 11:26 PM

After the annoying "Negro" dialect the kid spoke, the whole thing about the woman being vilified for having her car stolen eventually made me toss the book aside. These two things, plus the juvenile way King revels in racist language (I get the impression he enjoys using such "naughty" words) tells me his editors offer zero input other than to correct his spelling.

It seemed to me the story was starting to suggest that Brady invented all the community outrage at Mrs. T (he could have written the letters to the editors and been the one to spray paint her gate), but then messed up by mentioning the TV reports and talk radio callers, at which point I threw up my hands and decided not waste any more time on this.

The whole car thing was so bizarre, I actually wondered if King was going for some kind of anti-gun control analogy.

DaveNinja 06-25-14 10:41 AM

I finished it yesterday. it was okay but not good. too predictable in parts.
Spoiler:
the Holly character suddenly turning from the mumbler to Chloe from 24 seemed a bit much and kind of eliminated the need for Jerome's talents.

Eddie W 06-25-14 10:57 AM

I too just finished this & completely forgot I was reading a Stephen King book by the end.

And I really hated the :
Spoiler:
happy ending with everyone having a picnic, c'mon.

Hopefully Revival will be better than this.

Pointyskull 06-30-14 11:51 AM

Hardly King's finest hour, but I found it an enjoyable, quick read - weak spots and all...

Tom Banjo 06-30-14 06:33 PM

I can't get into this one. I've been at like 7% on the Kindle version for over a week, and every time I think about reading some more I end up watching DVR or Netflix instead.

auto 06-30-14 07:00 PM

It wasn't great, but I found it an enjoyable read. It does seem like an odd book/story to turn into a trilogy.

DaveNinja 07-01-14 11:50 AM

I'm reading 11/22/63 now and i'm way more into it at 10% than i ever was into Mr Mercedes