Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last book you bought?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What's the last book you bought?

Old 03-25-21, 11:08 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,924
Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

The true crime collection is amazing!

last book I bought was The Left Hand of Darkness - LeGuin

I have If You Tell - Greg Olsen on hold at the library. I still mourn the loss of Ann Rule ...
Old 03-26-21, 10:04 AM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,072
Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
The true crime collection is amazing!

last book I bought was The Left Hand of Darkness - LeGuin

I have If You Tell - Greg Olsen on hold at the library. I still mourn the loss of Ann Rule ...
Thank you! I realized that with the popularity of True Crime skyrocketing because of Podcasts like My Favorite Murder and Netflix Documentaries & Series, the (good) books become a bit difficult to track down in general, especially older ones. After the recent Nightstalker Documentary came out on Netflix, I remember even the Distributor of Philip Carlo's book was out of copies for about 1 month or more.

Thought that this was a good time to finally put together the True Crime Book Collection I've been wanting since 8th Grade and support all my local bookstores in the process.

If You Tell is on my list to read! I haven't read any of Ann Rule's stuff after around 2004-2005? Is it as good as everything before?
Old 03-26-21, 10:31 AM
  #53  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,924
Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Thank you! I realized that with the popularity of True Crime skyrocketing because of Podcasts like My Favorite Murder and Netflix Documentaries & Series, the (good) books become a bit difficult to track down in general, especially older ones. After the recent Nightstalker Documentary came out on Netflix, I remember even the Distributor of Philip Carlo's book was out of copies for about 1 month or more.

Thought that this was a good time to finally put together the True Crime Book Collection I've been wanting since 8th Grade and support all my local bookstores in the process.

If You Tell is on my list to read! I haven't read any of Ann Rule's stuff after around 2004-2005? Is it as good as everything before?
The True Crime Files never had the same zing, but were still worthwhile in my opinion.

I haven't read enough other authors to really say, but she seemed to capture the human element like no other.

I'm too lazy to look through everything you've posted, but does it include The Serial Killer Whisperer - Pete Earley? Be interesting for you to read it after all the others ...
Old 03-26-21, 03:06 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,072
Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
The True Crime Files never had the same zing, but were still worthwhile in my opinion.

I haven't read enough other authors to really say, but she seemed to capture the human element like no other.

I'm too lazy to look through everything you've posted, but does it include The Serial Killer Whisperer - Pete Earley? Be interesting for you to read it after all the others ...
I might to check out my local library and see if they have any of the later books. I see them in bulk at local (used) bookstores and I'm wondering if that's any indication of the quality.

I do not own that! Thanks for the recommendation! I'll add it to my list!
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (03-26-21)
Old 03-26-21, 03:25 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,924
Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I might to check out my local library and see if they have any of the later books. I see them in bulk at local (used) bookstores and I'm wondering if that's any indication of the quality.

I do not own that! Thanks for the recommendation! I'll add it to my list!
It's hard to beat vintage Rule, for sure, but still worth a read. I joined goodreads just so I could keep track of the crime files books, which do tend to blend together after a while
Old 03-26-21, 11:47 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,072
Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
It's hard to beat vintage Rule, for sure, but still worth a read. I joined goodreads just so I could keep track of the crime files books, which do tend to blend together after a while
Good to know! I'll have to read some reviews of the later books to see if any interest me, since I always see them dirt cheap at my local bookstores.

Goodreads is pretty awesome.

Picked up more stuff earlier today:

Brady and Hindley: Genesis of the Moors Murders (Fred Harrison)
The Monster of Florence (Douglas Preston)
The Suspect: An Olympic Bombing, the FBI, the Media, and Richard Jewell, the Man Caught in the Middle (Kent Alexander/Kevin Salwen)
The Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life of a Double Murder in Appalachia (Emma Copley Eisenberg)
The Witches: Salem, 1692 (Stacy Schiff)
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (03-29-21)
Old 04-04-21, 09:44 AM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,072
Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Body Hunter (Patricia Springer)
The Cases That Haunt Us (John E. Douglas/Mark Olshaker)
Evil Secrets (Kathy Braidhill)
Ghost of the Innocent Man: A True Story of Trial and Redemption (Benjamin Rachlin)
Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl: A Memoir (Carrie Brownstein)
The Ku Klux Klan in the Southwest (Charles C. Alexander)
Married To Murder (Robert Scott)
The Shrine of Jeffrey Dahmer (Brian Masters)
Remembering Satan (Lawrence Wright)
The Spitboy Rule: Tales of a Xicana in a Female Punk Band (Michelle Cruz Gonzales)
Tears of Rage: From Grieving Father to Crusader for Justice - The Untold Story of the Adam Walsh Case (John Walsh)
Witches, Sluts, Feminists: Conjuring Sex Positive (Kristen J. Sollee)
Old 04-04-21, 09:49 AM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,072
Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Across The Border: True Story of Satanic Cult Killings (Gary Provost)
The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers: 2nd Edition (Michael Newton)
Daddy Was The Black Dahlia Killer: The Identity of America's Most Notorious Serial Murderer - Revealed at Last (Janice Knowlton)
Human Harvest: The Sacramento Murder Story (Daniel J. Blackburn)
The Killers Among Us (Book 2): Sex, Madness & Mass Murder (Colin Wilson)
Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground (Michael Moynihan)
Not Without My Sister: The True Story of Three Girls Violated and Betrayed by Those They Trusted (Kristina Jones)
Scarred: The True Story of How I Escaped NXIVM, the Cult That Bound My Life (Sarah Edmondson)
Old 04-04-21, 09:57 AM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,072
Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Ordered

Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape (Jenna Miscavige Hill)
Cult Insanity: A Memory of Polygamy, Prophets and Blood Atonement (Irene Spencer)
Fred & Rose: The Full Story of Fred and Rose West and the Gloucester House of Horrors (Howard Sounes)
In The Days of Rain: A Daughter, A Father, A Cult (Rebecca Slott)
JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation (Steve Thomas)
On The Farm: Robert William Pickton & the Tragic Story of Vancouver's Missing Women (Stevie Cameron)
Pizza Bomber: The Untold Story of America's Most Shocking Bank Robbery (Jerry Clark/Ed Palattella)
Starkweather: The Story of a Mass Murderer (William Allen)
The World In Flames: A Black Boyhood in a White Supremacist Doomsday Cult (Jerald Walker)
When Men Become Gods: Morman Polygamist Warren Jeffs, His Cult of Fear and the Women Who Fought Back (Stephen Singular)
Why?: The Serial Killer In America (Margaret Cheney)
The Witness Wore Red: The 19th Wife Who Brought Polygamous Cult Leaders To Justice (Rebecca Musser)

Last edited by asianxcore; 04-04-21 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 10:41 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,072
Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Buried Memories (Irene Pence)
Chain Saw Confidential (Gunnar Hansen)
Eye of Evil (Joseph Harrington)
From The Mouth of the Monster: The Joel Rifkin Story (Robert Mladinich)
Garden of Graves (Maria Eftimiades)
Gosnell: The Untold Story of America's Most Prolific Serial Killer (Ann McElhinney/Phelim McAleer)
The Vampire Killers: A Horrifying True Story of Bloodshed & Murder (Clifford L. Linedecker)
Old 04-07-21, 10:06 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 18,072
Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: What's the last book you bought?

Dancing With The Octopus: A Memoir of Crime (Debora Harding)
Dear People: Remembering Jonestown (Denice Stephenson)
Devil's Knot: The Story of the West Memphis Three (Mara Leveritt)
Die For Me: The Terrifying True Story of the Charles Ng & Leonard Lake Torture Murders (Don Lasseter)
Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family (Robert Kolker)
The Red Ripper: Inside the Mind of Russia's Most Brutal Serial Killer (Peter Conradi)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.