Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Recommend a Good Fantasy Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Recommend a Good Fantasy Series

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Taking a break from fantasy with Watership Down, though an argument could be made that it too is fantasy. Going to attempt The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester after that; I have heard he is one of the most underappreciated sci-fi authors of the day.
Both his The Stars My Destination and The Demolished Man are great books.
Old 04-10-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Of recent series I highly recommend the Emperor's Blades and The Providence of Fire the first 2 books in a series called the Unhewn Throne by Brian Staveley. The first book is excellent and surprisingly the second book is better. It seems like it is going to follow a standard arc but doesn't and goes in unexpected directions. Quite excellent.

If you like Jane Austen, (and you should) then the Magicians and Mrs Quent series is well worth reading as well. I loved them.
Old 05-20-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Taking a break from fantasy with Watership Down, though an argument could be made that it too is fantasy. Going to attempt The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester after that; I have heard he is one of the most underappreciated sci-fi authors of the day.
Pick up Tales From Watership Down after you are done. A series of short stories about the same rabbits. Watership Down is easily one of my favorite books. I probably reread that more than any other book.
Old 06-08-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would think of Watership Down as high-fantasy inflected. It's kind of Tolkien with rabbits.
Old 06-14-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Finished Watership Down . Great read. Going to go back to some Star Wars EU with Lords of the Sith, even though I think it is technically canon since it has the Disney brand logo on the back and has a timeline at the front that eschews previous EU outings.
Old 07-25-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series.

All forty.
Old 08-03-20, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Been over 8 years since I started this thread and still no continuation of SOIAF. Needless to say, I read books 4 and 5 in that time frame. I also have Martin's "spin off" books about the Hedge Knight and the Targaryen book. I have read several Stephen King books since then, particularly The Shining and Doctor Sleep back to back before the movie came out last year. Good stuff if you're into King. I did some non-fiction with Killers of the Flower Moon, some Agatha Christie, and now I'm on the second book of the Dune series by Frank Herbert. Digging it overall.
Old 08-04-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Robin Hobb is someone who I started reading and delivered what I was looking for. She writes her book in trilogies (well, the most recent one looks to be 4 books). While all but one series is set in the same world, each stands on its own (with a definitive ending). Though I'd still recommend reading the series in chronological order. While not as grim as GRRM, the style is more adult and gritty. Start with the Assassin books or Liveship Traders and see if you like them. Assassin is the first in this world, but Liveship was my favorite (and there's little enough overlap that you can easily read it first).
I've been going through these series over the past... quite a while. I started with the third trilogy, and then went back and started at the beginning. I agree that each set of books has a definitive end, and are enjoyable on their own, but mean a lot more when taken into context with each other. I'm kind of glad that I read the third trilogy first, because even though I felt like I was missing a lot, it was covered well enough that I didn't feel entirely left out. Once I went back to the beginning, it was cool to see the origins and paths that led up to where I started with the characters. I'm in the middle of the second book of the fourth grouping of the series. I'm going to feel a little lost once I get through the next six books and have no new one to look forward to.
Old 08-04-20, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Since this thread stopped several years ago, other fantasy series that I enjoyed:

I really enjoy the writing of Brandon Sanderson and I've had a chance to read everything in his Mistborn and Stormlight Archive series. The first Mistborn book, The Final Empire, is a nice one for new readers to start with him since it functions well as a stand-alone novel.

Jim Butcher's Codex Alera books were recommended by others and I greatly enjoyed them (I think I prefer them to his more famous Dresden Files books).

N.K. Jemisin's The Broken Earth trilogy won just about award possible. And for me, the acclaim was earned. It was a novel fantasy setting and while a trilogy none of the books are doorstops (and it's not a difficult read). I have to get back to more of her work at some point.

I enjoyed all of Katherine Arden's Winternight trilogy. It's a different type of fantasy setting (middle-ages Russia) but something different is a positive for me. Like Mistborn, the first book (The Bear and the Nightengale) serves well as a stand-alone story. And it's relatively short (~300 pages) for a fantasy book.

I've been getting into the works of Robert Jackson Bennett this year and have enjoyed everything he's written. The Divine Cities trilogy has another interesting unorthodox fantasy setting ... a 20th century level world where a naval power India-like empire rules the world, after oppression from a Russian-like empire who had the aid of ultra-powerful "gods". Each book tells a complete stand-alone story (though they should be read in order starting with City of Stairs). His newest trilogy Foundryside sounds very good, but I'm waiting for it to be finished (a policy born of writers like GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss). Though Bennett has been publishing his books at a consistent pace, so I doubt he'll jerk around his readers like those others.

Another fantasy series after this thread I enjoyed was Ransom Riggs' Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. It is more of a YA style, so that may not be for everyone. I haven't read the newer two books though.

I gave Stephen Erikson's Malazan series my best shot, having read the first 5 books of the series. I just don't think I want to continue. I admire the world-building and there were elements in all of the books that I liked. I just don't think I like his writing style. Everything is so dense and wordy and long, and I look at the remaining 1000+ page monsters in the series and just can't bring myself to devoting all of the time and energy to read anymore. I was an idiot too and blind bought the next three books in the series (after #5) and they've been sitting on my bookshelf mocking me.
Old 08-04-20, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The final book in G.S. Denning's Warlock Holmes series, "The Finality Problem" has finally been released. It is, obviously, a fantasy Sherlock Holmes parody and as parodies go I think it's pretty good. The other books in the series are -- "Warlock Holmes - A Study in Brimstone", "Warlock Holmes - The Hell-Hound of the Baskervilles", "Warlock Holmes - My Grave Ritual", "Warlock Holmes - The Sign of Nine."
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (08-09-20)
Old 08-02-21, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
Since this thread stopped several years ago, other fantasy series that I enjoyed:

I really enjoy the writing of Brandon Sanderson and I've had a chance to read everything in his Mistborn and Stormlight Archive series. The first Mistborn book, The Final Empire, is a nice one for new readers to start with him since it functions well as a stand-alone novel.

Jim Butcher's Codex Alera books were recommended by others and I greatly enjoyed them (I think I prefer them to his more famous Dresden Files books).

N.K. Jemisin's The Broken Earth trilogy won just about award possible. And for me, the acclaim was earned. It was a novel fantasy setting and while a trilogy none of the books are doorstops (and it's not a difficult read). I have to get back to more of her work at some point.

I enjoyed all of Katherine Arden's Winternight trilogy. It's a different type of fantasy setting (middle-ages Russia) but something different is a positive for me. Like Mistborn, the first book (The Bear and the Nightengale) serves well as a stand-alone story. And it's relatively short (~300 pages) for a fantasy book.

I've been getting into the works of Robert Jackson Bennett this year and have enjoyed everything he's written. The Divine Cities trilogy has another interesting unorthodox fantasy setting ... a 20th century level world where a naval power India-like empire rules the world, after oppression from a Russian-like empire who had the aid of ultra-powerful "gods". Each book tells a complete stand-alone story (though they should be read in order starting with City of Stairs). His newest trilogy Foundryside sounds very good, but I'm waiting for it to be finished (a policy born of writers like GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss). Though Bennett has been publishing his books at a consistent pace, so I doubt he'll jerk around his readers like those others.

Another fantasy series after this thread I enjoyed was Ransom Riggs' Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. It is more of a YA style, so that may not be for everyone. I haven't read the newer two books though.

I gave Stephen Erikson's Malazan series my best shot, having read the first 5 books of the series. I just don't think I want to continue. I admire the world-building and there were elements in all of the books that I liked. I just don't think I like his writing style. Everything is so dense and wordy and long, and I look at the remaining 1000+ page monsters in the series and just can't bring myself to devoting all of the time and energy to read anymore. I was an idiot too and blind bought the next three books in the series (after #5) and they've been sitting on my bookshelf mocking me.

Been thinking of giving Sanderson a try. I took a break from fiction to read some non-fiction consisting of a biography of Andre the Giant and an autobiography of Terry Gilliam. Both very good.
Old 09-13-21, 09:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've wanted to read Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series for quite some time.
Old 09-13-21, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Robin Hobb Elderling series worth another mention! I've been working through them in publication order, just started number 12 of 16 (City of Dragons). Fantastic stuff, no pun intended.
Old 03-14-22, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend the Sword of Shanara series!
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (03-15-22)
Old 03-24-22, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Robin Hobb Elderling series worth another mention! I've been working through them in publication order, just started number 12 of 16 (City of Dragons). Fantastic stuff, no pun intended.
The Robin Hobb stuff is great.

I also enjoy a lot of Guy Gavriel Kay's works, The Fionavar Tapestry is excellent.

Gene Wolfe is amazing- If you haven't read The Book of the New Sun you need to right now.
Old 03-25-22, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Azimut (Lupano/Andréae)

Though the cover blurb calls it 'Terry Gilliam-eque' it's more like an aged up OZ with a touch of Wonderland. I haven't even finished it and I want to re-read it. What more can you ask for?