Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Recommend a Good Fantasy Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Recommend a Good Fantasy Series

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I loved Dragonlance. I read the original Dragons trilogy, the Twins trilogy, and followed up with the Raistlyn book, The 2nd Generation, and Dragons of Summer Flame. I lost touch with the series after that, but what I've listed is great stuff. I cant vouch for the stuff that was written after that. Maybe one day I'll check it out.
Granted I have kind of "lost the thread" of Dragonlance as a universe over the years but I was not a fan of the very latest re-incarnation...where they kind of flipped the whole universe upside down, dropped the old gods I think, etc. I think they tried to reinvigorate the series and really made it worse. I only got like 3 books in, maybe I am not being fair. But I felt like...if it's all new...I'll just find a NEW series.

Aside from that, I think anything pertaining to the Chronicles trilogy (especially the awesome preludes books) are great fantasy reading.

Originally Posted by kd5
I have the big book (Chronicles) with all 3 stories in it (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Winter Night, and Spring Dawning), I've read it probably 4 or 5 times, it never gets old. I'll keep that book until it turns to dust... -kd5-
Me too! My original singles, which I keep out of love, look like they've been though a war. No covers, bent pages, etc.
Old 06-08-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I haven't read the Belgariad series by David Eddings or the original DragonLance Chronicles and Legends series by Weis and Hickman since middle or high school. Does either still hold up for adult readers today?
I re-read Chronicles and Legends every few year. The Lost Chronicles that came out in the last few years and take place between books of the Chronicles are okay, but I sold them after I finished them. And that's not to say I don't like their new writing because I haven't been a high school student for years, I liked War of Souls just fine.
The following users liked this post:
story (08-02-21)
Old 06-08-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So I've been done with ASOIAF for awhile.

Who should I start with next? Erikson, Abercrombie or Rothfuss? Or none of those?
Old 06-08-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't read the Belgariad series by David Eddings or the original DragonLance Chronicles and Legends series by Weis and Hickman since middle or high school. Does either still hold up for adult readers today?
They are quick/easy reads that I remember. I also liked the Deathgate Cycle series from Weis and Hickman.
story (08-02-21)
Old 06-11-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
So I've been done with ASOIAF for awhile.

Who should I start with next? Erikson, Abercrombie or Rothfuss? Or none of those?
I like all 3. I have only read Rothfuss' first book, and forgot much of it (so must reread). I do remember enjoying it a lot. It is like the opposite of Erikson in that it focus only on 1 guy recounting his days of old. Great stuff. Erikson is huge and dense, probably will take some efforts to get through the first book. Abercrombie is in between.

Depends on what your mood is, but I would start with Rothfuss.
Old 06-13-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ill throw it in there since it hasnt been mentioned yet but Stephen Kings Dark tower is amazing and I reccomend it.
Old 06-14-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Granted I have kind of "lost the thread" of Dragonlance as a universe over the years but I was not a fan of the very latest re-incarnation...where they kind of flipped the whole universe upside down, dropped the old gods I think, etc. I think they tried to reinvigorate the series and really made it worse. I only got like 3 books in, maybe I am not being fair. But I felt like...if it's all new...I'll just find a NEW series.

Aside from that, I think anything pertaining to the Chronicles trilogy (especially the awesome preludes books) are great fantasy reading.
I agree - the first couple of trilogies are good, the Second Generation book is good, but I think after that it's clear that it suffers from TSR/Wizards making boneheaded decisions about where the universe is going, and trying to turn Dragonlance into something it shouldn't have been...then the later series tries to turn it back around which only sorta works.

The Lost Chronicles are all right - except I think they went a bit easy on old Raistlin vs Raistlin 20 years later for his book - I consider it the weakest of the bunch.
Old 07-08-12, 03:13 PM

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned but I would still point you in the direction of the following:

- David Gemmell - my top favourite - his books are consistently excellent. Waylander is my favourite fantasy book, but start with Legend.
- Brent Weeks - The night angel trilogy is definitely worth a look
- Raymond E. Feist - I second this recommendation, start with Magician (the updated version) and keep going (darkness at sethanon etc.)
- Katherine Kurtz - I read the Deryni series years ago but always liked it - worth a look

Is it funny that no one has mentioned Tolkien yet?
Trevor (03-15-22)
Old 07-08-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chickey
Some of my favourites have already been mentioned but I would still point you in the direction of the following:

- David Gemmell - my top favourite - his books are consistently excellent. Waylander is my favourite fantasy book, but start with Legend.- Brent Weeks - The night angel trilogy is definitely worth a look
- Raymond E. Feist - I second this recommendation, start with Magician (the updated version) and keep going (darkness at sethanon etc.)
- Katherine Kurtz - I read the Deryni series years ago but always liked it - worth a look

I read a revierw from another SF author who I can't remember, stating that when he read a Gemmell book he cried for the sheer goodness of what he was reading. I knew exactly what he was saying. His books are just in a class by themselves. Check out wiki for the series and start one. You will not be disappointed.
Old 07-09-12, 10:04 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Hmm. Gemmell's been on my radar for a while now. Is Legend (the drenai series) the best place to start with him?
Old 07-09-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely on The Belgariad and The Mallorean. I went back to this series about 12 - 18 months ago and read them all including the bookends of Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress.

I will also second The Codex Alera and nominate The Dresden Files, all by Jim Butcher. I don't know if The Dresden Files is what you are looking for though as it is present day.
story (08-02-21)
Old 07-09-12, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Nah. It's a safe assumption that anyone asking about fantasy series books has already heard about Tolkien.
Old 07-10-12, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
Hmm. Gemmell's been on my radar for a while now. Is Legend (the drenai series) the best place to start with him?
I started reading the Troy series. I liked that so much I went back and read the other stuff. The Troy is only 3 books but really, pick a series and read the first one.
Old 07-10-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking he wasn't mentioned because he goes without saying?
Old 07-10-12, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by arminius
I started reading the Troy series. I liked that so much I went back and read the other stuff. The Troy is only 3 books but really, pick a series and read the first one.
Thanks. I did pick up Legend at Half Price Books last night. I will be diving in soon.
Old 07-12-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy
Glenn Cook's The Black Company series.
Add to that Glenn Cook's Garrett P.I. series.

I actually tried but never finished the first book of The Black Company Series.
The author would take five pages for a conversation during a card game but a major battle would be summarized in a sentence.
Old 07-12-12, 07:21 PM

As good a place as any - it was his first book and the first in the Drenai series.

There are two schools of thought on what is the best way to read his books though: order of publication or chronologically.

Start with Legend to give you a flavour and decide then which way you want to go. Me, I went in order of publication and thought they were great.

Thanks. I did pick up Legend at Half Price Books last night. I will be diving in soon.
I envy you your first time reading this - I'd be interested in what you thought of it once you have read it.

Damn, I'm going to have to reread it again now!
Old 07-13-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The last time I read the Belgariad and Mallorean series was when I was 28 yrs old and I found them just as enjoyable. They were a bit simpler than when I remembered them from high school (I first read them when I was 13 yrs old), but still very enjoyable. The style gets a bit repetitive (short, witty remarks from various characters) but a good read nonetheless. I might reread the Elenium and Tamuli one of these days. That last series he wrote with his wife though... I couldn't get through 100 pages of it and gave up. Just too boring.
story (08-02-21)
Old 07-13-12, 08:40 AM

I will report back on Gemmell.

And I still like a lot of Eddings stuff. But once he started putting his wife's names on the books, they started to go downhill fast. I think Polgara the Sorceress is the last thing I could stand to read of his. Everything that came after that (Althalas, the Dreamers series) just is not good, IMO.
story (08-02-21)
Old 07-22-12, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I really enjoyed David Eddings as well. Of course, it's been almost 20 years since I read his stuff. I even got my original Everquest character name from that (Sparhawk, although I misspelled it Sparrhawk).
story (08-02-21)
Old 07-22-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I will report back on Gemmell.

And I still like a lot of Eddings stuff. But once he started putting his wife's names on the books, they started to go downhill fast. I think Polgara the Sorceress is the last thing I could stand to read of his. Everything that came after that (Althalas, the Dreamers series) just is not good, IMO.
That's kind of how I feel (although I don't care about his wife getting credits). Just that even the Elenium books are like Belgariad clones. But after that...they get to be like worse clones.

----
I read the first Malazan Book of the Fallen book...I'm not sure what to think. There were sooo many characters to keep straight. I think I'd have benefited from reading it in paperback where I could flip to the character list at the front easier.

I'm taking a break and I'll try it again later this year / next year. See if I can keep things straight better. He just kinda tosses you into it - the magic and the gods and everything become quite confusing...I didn't feel like I really had sorted it out until almost at the end of the book. And people complain about GRR Martin having too many characters!

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-22-12 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
That's kind of how I feel (although I don't care about his wife getting credits). Just that even the Elenium books are like Belgariad clones. But after that...they get to be like worse clones.
Sorry, didn't mean that to sound like I cared that his wife's name was on the books. It just seemed like once that happened, the quality went downhill. As far as I am aware, she was a collaborator on many of his books. She just never got credit on the covers until later on.
Old 07-24-12, 11:17 AM

Definately recommend the following series:

- The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson
- The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
Trevor (03-15-22)
Old 09-09-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

FWIW, I have read about as much Tolkien as possible. The Hobbit was my first fantasy novel (as I imagine it was for many) , then came LOTR. I then read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales in the summer of '94. It wasn't until SOIAF that I got back into reading fantasy. Took a break this summer by reading Stephen King's 11/22/63 , now on AFOC. So far, not really getting all of the hate for this one aside from the Cersei chapters (this was a rare case where the adapted portrayal of a character was better than the written one).

Will definitely take the other recs for consideration. Thanks!
Old 09-20-12, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by codecomplete
Definately recommend the following series:

- The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny
- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson
- The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper
I remember a Magic player recommending Thomas Covenant. He said to skip Lord Foul's Bane and go straight to the Illearth War. I'll second that statement. I didn't take his suggestion. I struggled to get through Bane. When I finally did, I completely gave up on Donaldson. LFB was just god awful. I imagine Illearth War was much better.
Trevor (03-15-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.