Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Books you've tried to read multiple times but couldn't get past a number of pages.

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Books you've tried to read multiple times but couldn't get past a number of pages.

Old 05-19-12, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thread on Finnegan's Wake made me think of this. I'm thinking of books you've picked up more than once, got stuck, and at a future time you started on page 1 again and got stuck again. I've tried at least three times to read Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. The most I've ever made it to is about page 80. I finally gave up about 20 years ago.

Currently I've been stuck around page 70 on Proust's In Search Of Lost Time. This has been going on for about 5 years, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.
Old 05-19-12, 12:18 PM

Re: Books you've tried to read multiple times but couldn't get past a number of pages

Rabbit, Run
Old 05-19-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Books you've tried to read multiple times but couldn't get past a number of pages

Atlas Shrugged, I was stuck on page 724 for about 15 years finally I polished it off from the beginning on audio book.

Ulysses, I have only made it to the point where the guy is taking a crap in the outhouse. I have tried reading and on audio book, I don't plan on ever finishing it.
Old 05-19-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anna Karenina-it was like everybody had the same name.

Heart of Darkness- This was the one and only time I used Cliff Notes, I had to write a paper on this book and the horror, the horror, that was reading this book.
Old 05-19-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Absalom, Absalom--always got stuck somewhere near the middle. I think I managed to finish the book a few years ago. I'm really not sure about that though.

Jude the Obscure--never could get past say the first 40 pages without falling asleep. Ended up getting past that at some point a few years ago and finished the book.

Question: Do you always get stuck at the same point in a book? It seems like half the time I get stuck at the same page or point in a novel before I give up.
Old 05-19-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
Old 05-19-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Lisey's Song by Stephen King. I had heard good things about him as a horror writer and I found this novel for $5 at Borders.

I started reading it and immediately got turned off by the made up language of the narrator. "Smucking," "Bool!" I tried reading more of it later but I just didn't like the characterization of anyone in the story.
Old 05-19-12, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Atlas Shrugged, I was stuck on page 724 for about 15 years finally I polished it off from the beginning on audio book.
Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Question: Do you always get stuck at the same point in a book? It seems like half the time I get stuck at the same page or point in a novel before I give up.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
No trouble with The Fountainhead, but never got near finished Atlas Shrugged.

And yes, at least with Gravity's Rainbow it's always around page 80 I get stuck. In fact same with Swann's Way.
Old 05-19-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kafka's The Castle - If you've read it, you can appreciate the humor of me not being able to finish it. I like the absurd humor for a while, but at some point I become as frustrated as K. and give up.

Stephen King's Insomnia - I loved Needful Things, so I'm not averse to long King novels. This one just didn't suck me in, and so after a while the thought of going through the whole thing just seemed like a chore.

Umberto Eco's The Island of the Day Before - It's been a while since I tried it, so I'm not sure why I got stuck.
Old 05-20-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine's one that you'd think would be a breezy read: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I've started it a couple of times, but even with the addition of zombies, I just can't get into Jane Austen's writing style.
Old 05-20-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,495 Likes on 944 Posts

Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson. I think I've started it three times. And I was a fan of Gibson for years before then.
Old 05-20-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

In my younger years (long before the movie came and before I'd ever heard of Scientology) I twice tried to read Battelfield Earth. I made it halfway both times before losing interest.
My most recent failure was Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. It looks like I'm not the only one to struggle with that one.
Old 05-20-12, 10:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Battlefield Earth for me as well - also before I knew the whole L. Ron Hubbard - Scientology deal.

Ulysses has also defeated me a few times as have a few filmaker autobiographies, specifically those of Michael Powell (1200+ pages) and Eliz Kazan's interminable tome.
Old 05-21-12, 02:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

The Silmarillion
Gravity's Rainbow (at least I think I started it!)
Old 05-21-12, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
My most recent failure was Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. It looks like I'm not the only one to struggle with that one.
That one took me a long time. I'm on the 2nd now, and am at a snail's pace again.
Old 05-21-12, 02:12 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

When I was growing up, I tried 3 times to read The Hobbit and never got past page 25. One of these days I might give it a shot and then move on to the actual LotR book.
Old 05-21-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - I think I started it twice, and I was interested, but I just never got past the first 30 pages or so.
Old 05-25-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved Cryptonomicon, but failed on several attempts at Quicksilver.
Old 05-25-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anna Karenina is one for me. Strangely, I plowed through a couple hundred pages both times, so it's not like it was a chore, but then I got distracted and now I've never bothered going back.
Old 05-25-12, 07:17 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by benedict
The Silmarillion
Oh yes. "Aiwerl found moeurl and by then, aklsker came upon the western lands, the northern lands were waging war against Liwiweria, and Woeurlafpfpffpf rose to power."
Old 05-25-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

A Princess of Mars

Tried reading it back around December in anticipation of the movie and got about 100pp in before calling it quits. After seeing, and loving the movie I decided to give it another go back in March so I started over. Glancing at the nook... stuck at page 102.
Old 05-25-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Moby Dick
Old 05-26-12, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Moby Dick
Aye, I got stuck around page 200, but then I've only tried it once.
Old 05-26-12, 02:32 PM

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,169 Posts

See you in hell, Last of the Mohicans...
Old 05-26-12, 02:48 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

I picked up The Best of H.P. Lovecraft (with Introduction by Robert Bloch) many years ago: Bloodcurdling Tales Of Horror And The Macabre, but for some reason every time I start to read it (beginning with the first story: The Rats in the Walls), I never seem to be able to finish that first story, end up putting the book back on the shelf, and choose something else to read. It must be his style of writing (or something) but my interest level never seems to gain momentum with this book (or at least with that story, I don't know which). -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 05-26-12 at 02:58 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.