Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Books you've tried to read multiple times but couldn't get past a number of pages.

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Books you've tried to read multiple times but couldn't get past a number of pages.

Old 05-30-12, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Books you've tried to read multiple times but couldn't get past a number of pages

I start waaaaay more books than I finish so quite a bit, but a few salient ones that I do want to read:

Game Over (Nintendo)
Plutonium Files
Gentle Vengeance
Nickel and Dimed
Old 05-30-12, 12:37 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Books you've tried to read multiple times but couldn't get past a number of pages

What's Game Over about?
Old 05-30-12, 12:40 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by kd5
I picked up The Best of H.P. Lovecraft (with Introduction by Robert Bloch) many years ago: Bloodcurdling Tales Of Horror And The Macabre, but for some reason every time I start to read it (beginning with the first story: The Rats in the Walls), I never seem to be able to finish that first story, end up putting the book back on the shelf, and choose something else to read. It must be his style of writing (or something) but my interest level never seems to gain momentum with this book (or at least with that story, I don't know which). -kd5-
That was the black book right? Yeah picked that up and was primed for blood curdling horror with the Rats too, but i was terrified at how horrifically my mind would wander elsewhere. But truly this is not a problem with Lovecraft's compatriot Robert E Howard whose Conan tales i got through and wanted more.
Old 05-31-12, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
What's Game Over about?
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Over-Pres...8458465&sr=8-1

Nintendo, pretty much. I got pretty far into it and I loved it.
Old 05-31-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes. "Aiwerl found moeurl and by then, aklsker came upon the western lands, the northern lands were waging war against Liwiweria, and Woeurlafpfpffpf rose to power."
This is an excellent summary but those are major spoilers.

I actually read that book and and have no idea what the hell was going on.
Old 06-06-12, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to get into The Gunslinger by Steven King. I've heard great things about the series, but its a hard one to get into. I am on page 127 and its a struggle to get through.
Old 06-06-12, 06:22 AM

I tried to read King's Gunslinger book. I might have finished it and blocked out the memory. I didn't care for it and probably won't try it again.

I read about half of Joyce's Ulysses. I'll probably finish it eventually.

I finished Brown's Da Vinci Code. I wish I hadn't. I only paid 33 cents for it and that was more than it was worth. It's a thriller in which almost nothing happens. Interspersed with tons of yackety-yack.
Spoiler:
And a scary assassin who takes a revolver to kill multiple targets and forgets to bring any reloads. He shoots a guy in the gut but isn't worried because that shot is ALWAYS fatal. Moron! Not even head-shots are guaranteed to be fatal.
The fake history wasn't even very inventive.

I much prefer a hard book to a stupid book.
Old 06-06-12, 06:23 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
I have been trying to get into The Gunslinger by Steven King. I've heard great things about the series, but its a hard one to get into. I am on page 127 and its a struggle to get through.
Trust me, many have felt the same as you. I really disliked that book, but I am glad I perservered and made it to book two. The series starts to flow much better at that point. Hang in there. At least it's a short book.
Old 06-15-12, 08:33 PM

Oh yes. "Aiwerl found moeurl and by then, aklsker came upon the western lands, the northern lands were waging war against Liwiweria, and Woeurlafpfpffpf rose to power."
This made me laugh out loud. And I read The Silmarillion with a copy of [nerd alert]The Atlas of Middle Earth[/yep, total nerd] open the whole time. It's definitely for the hard core fans.
Old 06-18-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I enjoyed Anne Rice's Vampire series (at least the first few books, anyway), so I tried to read the Witching Hour. I think I've tried at least three times and never made it past 100 pages. That book puts me to sleep so fast it should be sold as a sleep aid.
Old 06-25-12, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That was the black book right? Yeah picked that up and was primed for blood curdling horror with the Rats too, but i was terrified at how horrifically my mind would wander elsewhere. But truly this is not a problem with Lovecraft's compatriot Robert E Howard whose Conan tales i got through and wanted more.
I have that book! His writing does take some getting used to, but that particulare story, "Rats..." is not a good one to begin with. I did and thought, damn, how am I going to get through the rest? But all the stories from then on are really good.
Old 06-26-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Over-Pres...8458465&sr=8-1

Nintendo, pretty much. I got pretty far into it and I loved it.
This is a really good book. I re-read parts of it in the past, especially the Tetris section.
Old 06-27-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Gunslinger is a very tough read. Gotta push through though to get to book 2. You'll be glad you did.

Are you reading the revised or original version? The revised version felt easier to swallow. Then again, it was probably an easier read the second time through.
Old 06-27-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

You should just start on book 2. It has a good recap of what happened in book 1. The only good thing about book 1 was the twist near the end. The rest of the book was crap.
Old 06-27-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
You should just start on book 2. It has a good recap of what happened in book 1. The only good thing about book 1 was the twist near the end. The rest of the book was crap.
Totally disagree. Especially the revised version. A lot of setup for the rest of the books. It especially takes off once he meets Jake, IMO.
Old 07-28-12, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had a hard time finishing The Gunslinger, get the audio version , it helps alot, and make sure that you are reading the new version that has been updated.

I have to agree with Xander read the first book, because you need it for the last book, it all ties in.
Good Luck
Old 09-09-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I have tried three times to get into The House of Leaves, but I've never been successful. I find it mildly intriguing... but also completely confusing. I'm not sure how to read it. So I always give up in frustration.
Old 09-15-12, 10:09 AM

Unabridged Les Miserables.