Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor (TV show fans take note)

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 11-30-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read this book. Big fan of the comics. Watch the show, but complain about it mostly.

This book is simple in it's writing style, but I actually saw one reviewer say it had so many SAT words that it was distracting! Huh? What? Colson Whitehead's Zone One (started an ignored Book Talk thread on that one too) would blow his mind.

Governor is also poorly written, IMO. Ever hear your English teacher tell you that you are telling the story, but not showing? But it does seem written to be compatible with continuity of the comic and future possible continuity of the TV show (which seems to have a whole new audience.) Brilliant marketing strategy!

There are many annoying firearm mistakes. The author refers to a .38 revolver as small caliber when the main character carries a very loud (and Dead fans know what that means) .22 Ruger pistol. He also refers to the revolver as having a beaver tail grip which is a 1911 feature and being loaded with "lethal hollow point Glaser Safety Slugs." Seems like he just googled .38 ammo and that popped up. They aren't true hollow point. If you write a Z book, and get real descriptive with the firearms, you better be right!

Spoiler:
There's a twist which some people seem to hate and I guessed in the first chapter. Doesn't bother me, but it feels forced.

I'd give it a C- and I'll keep reading these books like I keep watching the show.
Old 12-09-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor (TV show fans take note)

I didn't care for it at all. Usually, I don't notice bad writing. If I'm enjoying a book, I'm pleased as punch. For example, the people who point out their perceived failings of JK Rowlings earlier writing? I just don't see it. I can realize the early Potter books aren't literary, but I found them well written based on the simple fact that they clearly conveyed a fun and exciting story.

Rise of the Governor just felt bad. Really bad. I guessed the twist as early as you did, and it did feel forced. Maybe this book feels so shallow to me because the last zombie book I read was the phenomenal World War Z.
Old 12-09-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I'm leery of anything with "Rise of" in the title, thanks to T3: Rise of the Machines, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, G.I. Joe: Rise of COBRA, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, Van Wilder 2: The Rise of Taj, Scorpion King 2: Rise of a Warrior, and video games like Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects. It sounds like avoiding this was a good idea. Also, it doesn't help that The Governor is one of the worst characters in the history of anything, ever.
Old 12-11-11, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reviews. My wife and I are both fans of the comics, and I was thinking of getting her this for Christmas, but after the negative word of mouth, I think I'll pass.
Old 05-21-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Wow this book is fucking boring. I'm about halfway through though, so maybe it gets better.
Old 05-22-12, 08:40 PM

Not really.
Old 05-23-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up reading the spoilers for the end since I didn't really care. Might finish it eventually. The writing style is terrible, similes and analogies are not welcome, and they don't meet anybody new until halfway through the book. The characters aren't really interesting at all, all of which makes it a chore to get through.
Old 05-23-12, 08:05 PM

Well the second book already has a listing to come out this fall. Probably another TV tie in sort of thing. Maybe it will get better. Aw who am I kidding.
Old 05-24-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems like they're really stretching the concept. One book to tell how he went from beginning of the apocalypse to governor would be enough. With two (and maybe even three) books it seems like they're going to show every boring detail. "Most cars can't go very fast in reverse because they only have one gear. So this particular car, like those others, can't go blah blah oh my god."

Also is it just me or was it careless to mention "tweets" and a 2010 year automobile? Since this is in the comics continuity I would assume the threat starts in around 2004. I just checked Kirkman's stuff and in one instance he says it starts in 2003, in one he basically says "Eh, whatever, it could be 2009."
Old 05-24-12, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Also a fan of the comics so it's good to know I can just reread the Governor arc again instead of this
Old 11-29-12, 03:02 AM

As a fanatic of The Walking Dead, I consume anything with the brand on it. But as a book I was disappointed to discover it was solid. Not a masterpiece by any stretch, but a solid read overall.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Max Brooks. I still can't get over World War Z, and I finished The Zombie Survival Guide last month.

This book was solid enough.

The characters were tough to empathize with, and the only child character was poorly written. Which is shocking considering Carl in the comics is a very complex character. Most of the situations felt repetitive, and the conflicts were tough to really get sucked in to.

Overall it's a decent read, just not something I'd ever read again. Which is pretty darn disappointing.