Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Amazon: Kindle Books now outselling Hardcovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazon: Kindle Books now outselling Hardcovers

http://mashable.com/2010/07/19/amazon-kindle-sales/

Interesting discussion on the impact this shift towards digitial will have recently on BBC Newsnight Review. Ian Rankin and a couple of other authors were there debating the ramifications of readers tapping in for their literary fix on an electronic gizmo. Will noises and images become more prominent? Will chapters become shorter? How will the distribution mechanism alter?
Old 08-23-10, 11:29 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: Amazon: Kindle Books now outselling Hardcovers

An interesting topic and figured it was only a matter of time before we saw this trend. Hard to argue with the Kindle pricing (device and books) and growing library availability.
Old 08-23-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I haven't read a real book since I got my Kindle.

It's just too damn convenient...especially since I tend to read a lot of series so it's great to immediately download and start on the next one.

Plus, even though I'm an avid reader...I've never really cared about the physical book. I buy a lot of paperbacks, looked for the cheapest prices, etc. I just want the story, and the Kindle is the best way to get it for me.
Old 10-09-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm just curious if any numbers have come out on Kindle sales at Best Buy/Target.

The things seem to never be in stock, anywhere. Nooks are easy to find at Best Buy / Barnes, everybody has Sony eReaders, but the Kindle? Always gone, curious if it's strictly a supply issue or what. (I'm interested in buying one finally, having played with the above eReaders, it seems to be the overall best (imo, the best screen of the bunch) despite lacking a few features of the Nook.)
Old 10-10-10, 01:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This doesn't surprise me, given that even though I don't own a Kindle, I can read Kindle books on my iPad, iPod Touch, and EVO. Add in all those people who got Kindles last Christmas, and it was bound to happen sometime.
Old 10-15-10, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it means more people are reading than before, that makes me happy.
Old 10-17-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't surprising when you also take into account library memberships and use are also on the rise.

The only hardbacks I buy these days are ones from a series I am currently reading and own the rest. Otherwise it is all library.
Old 10-18-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's weird... even though these things are so popular, I have yet to actually see one in person. None of my friends own one and I've never seen someone using it in public.
Old 10-18-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Hard to argue with the Kindle pricing (device and books) and growing library availability.
You'd be surprised. Reviews on Amazon are now basically useless, since there are so many people that give one star ratings because of the price of the kindle books. For the new Ken Follett book, out of 406 reviews currently there are 263 one stars, many of these due to the Kindle pricing. Now there are certainly legitimate one star reviews as well, but if you start from the earliest reviews, they are almost all due to the pricing.

While not perfect, I usually like to check the reviews on Amazon, just to see how the general population rates any book I am interested in, but it no longer makes sense to do this. I can't remember the article, but I did read that one rep from a publisher said that something had to be done with this rating system as it has caused so many negative reviews for their authors.
Old 10-18-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Living Dead
It's weird... even though these things are so popular, I have yet to actually see one in person. None of my friends own one and I've never seen someone using it in public.
Do you live in a large are with alot of commuters?

On the NYC subway, there is at least one Kindle or Nook on each train car
Old 10-18-10, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez

That is true every time I get in a subway car there is always someone with a kindle reading. I also havent read a paperback book since i got my kindle.
Old 10-18-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw them at the airport quite a bit before I got mine. But I rarely take it in public, as I primarily read in the house.

I know several people that have them as well.
Old 10-19-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez

I live in Los Angeles, which is why I'm surprised I still have never seen one.
Old 10-19-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I live in Los Angeles, which is why I'm surprised I still have never seen one.
How often do you see people reading books?
Old 10-19-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
I can't remember the article, but I did read that one rep from a publisher said that something had to be done with this rating system as it has caused so many negative reviews for their authors.
I can think of one possible solution...
Old 10-20-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the idea, but haven't made the jump. I don't need to read a book when it first comes out and have no problem waiting for paperback. As a result, I don't want to pay $9.99 for an e-book that I can get for half the price elsewhere.

Thought about getting one for the wife as she is a very heavy reader, but she seems to love the library too much. We have a small one, but it is part of a larger group. If they don't have it, they mail it to you free and you return it to the local one.
Old 10-20-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got a Kindle that I bought used, and have quite a few books for it. But I've yet to actually read anything on it. I have several friends who swear by them, but I just haven't felt the need yet. (Part of that is probably because I don't have the books I've wanted to read recently on Kindle.)
Old 10-28-10, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I like the idea, but haven't made the jump. I don't need to read a book when it first comes out and have no problem waiting for paperback. As a result, I don't want to pay $9.99 for an e-book that I can get for half the price elsewhere.

Thought about getting one for the wife as she is a very heavy reader, but she seems to love the library too much. We have a small one, but it is part of a larger group. If they don't have it, they mail it to you free and you return it to the local one.

don't you have an iPad?
Old 10-28-10, 05:54 PM

I have a Sony reader. I love the option to borrow library books on it. Have a card for Boston, Central MA library consortium and LA library. I used to read a book or two a month. I know read one or two a week. And I used to never leave home without my Ipod touch and cell phone... Now I have added the Reader to the "take everywhere" list...
Old 10-31-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I can think of one possible solution...
Simplest solution is nobody should be able to submit an Amazon review unless they have purchased the item from Amazon.
Old 10-31-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Simplest solution is nobody should be able to submit an Amazon review unless they have purchased the item from Amazon.
I would only agree if the item is exclusive to Amazon.

I don't have an issue with Amazon flagging reviews whether the reviewer purchased the item through Amazon though.
I review a ton of things on Amazon I bought elsewhere since Amazon is also the first sites I check for reviews.
Old 10-31-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it's almost 2011, why are people still basing purchasing decisions on retailer website reviews? everyone knows they have been taken over by marketing firms and internet life people
Old 10-31-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I definitely don't base my purchases off them but I look for issues/complaints that seem to be common among the reviews.
Old 10-31-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I definitely don't base my purchases off them but I look for issues/complaints that seem to be common among the reviews.
Yeah, I only look at * and ** reviews and judge the quality of the complaints. I especially like this with history books, as there are always geeks posting itemized lists of errors.
Old 11-05-10, 11:17 AM

I hate to read actual books now. I so want to read the new Wheel of Time book but I'm waiting for the Kindle version. I don't have a kindle but I read everything on my iPhone using the Kindle app. It's so convenient. My only complaint is waiting. They used to have the ebook the same day as the physical one but it seems like now that ebooks are more popular they make you wait to try to sell the physical ones. That doesn't make sense to me. It seems like the ebook would be more profit and less work so they'd want that out there right away.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.