Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Amazon: Kindle Books now outselling Hardcovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Amazon: Kindle Books now outselling Hardcovers

Don't know how the library subscriptions would impact Kindle sales as you can't read library books on the Kindle

-- VERY happy K3 owner.
Old 11-08-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Don't know how the library subscriptions would impact Kindle sales as you can't read library books on the Kindle

-- VERY happy K3 owner.
ohhhh, yes you can...its not dead simple, but the NYPL has provided me with 90% of my Kindle reading
Old 11-08-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
ohhhh, yes you can...its not dead simple, but the NYPL has provided me with 90% of my Kindle reading
And .... legally?

Not that I'm against it. But I doubt that is the reason, the masses would never get through step one of getting the necessary equipment.

Although, to be honest, it's probably easier than with the Sony and the Adobe software
Old 11-09-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
And .... legally?

Not that I'm against it. But I doubt that is the reason, the masses would never get through step one of getting the necessary equipment.

Although, to be honest, it's probably easier than with the Sony and the Adobe software
Legally is a strange question here...I am legally borrowing the books and legally returning them to the library and the books are deleted at the end of the lending period...the only sticking point is I have to make some changes to get them to display on my device.
Old 11-09-10, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Legally is a strange question here...I am legally borrowing the books and legally returning them to the library and the books are deleted at the end of the lending period...the only sticking point is I have to make some changes to get them to display on my device.
I suspect that if one is decrypting the files then one is in violation of that dismal legislation known as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Otherwise, I suspect that it would be Fair Use.
Old 11-17-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to add a level of complete Bizarreness to the controversy...THE FALL OF GIANTS and WASHINGTON:A HISTORY, two books that created an uproar when the publishers set the Kindle price to $19.99 just appeared on the NYPL's e-book section for lending. How do we explain this thinking?
Old 11-25-10, 04:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

how come Kindle doesn't have some titles available for download, at least older, popular ones?

i really wanted a pretty popular S.E. Hinton book That Was Then...This is Now and have it be my first Kindle book ever dl'd to my smartphone. hell, first book bought in a long long time, not counting text books and graphic novels.

but, no. really disapppointed. i mean they had my most favorite book ever that i read in elementary school by Harry S. Mazer called The Last Mission, but not this?

why?
Old 11-25-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I know how you feel Scott. My favorite book of all time is "The Once And Future King" By T.H. White. When i bought the kindle that was the first thing i searched for. Unfortunately it was not on the Kindle store . I would love to have it in Kindle form so i wont have to hold that massive book anymore.

Just checked and it's still not on there. But you can click on a button that tells the publisher you want it on kindle. Do those things work? If i were to click it every day would a Kindle version arrive faster?
Old 11-25-10, 07:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I know how you feel Scott. My favorite book of all time is "The Once And Future King" By T.H. White. When i bought the kindle that was the first thing i searched for. Unfortunately it was not on the Kindle store . I would love to have it in Kindle form so i wont have to hold that massive book anymore.

Just checked and it's still not on there. But you can click on a button that tells the publisher you want it on kindle. Do those things work? If i were to click it every day would a Kindle version arrive faster?
that does suck. i'll have to check out that button. i would even like the very inferior movie with Emilio Estevez and Craig Sheffer, but even that is OOP and too ridiculous for purchase.

edit...just clicked "tell publisher" for my book and yours mhg.
Old 11-25-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The store is very strange. They will have many books no longer in print, but other popular widely printed books are no where to found. The most frustrating is when a book is only available in another country. Damn publishers.
Old 11-26-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
how come Kindle doesn't have some titles available for download, at least older, popular ones?

i really wanted a pretty popular S.E. Hinton book That Was Then...This is Now and have it be my first Kindle book ever dl'd to my smartphone. hell, first book bought in a long long time, not counting text books and graphic novels.

but, no. really disapppointed. i mean they had my most favorite book ever that i read in elementary school by Harry S. Mazer called The Last Mission, but not this?

why?
S.E. Hinton or her publisher hasn't opted to issue a digital edition, but Harry Mazer has.

In a lot of cases, at least with science fiction authors, who are perhaps a bit more technically inclined than the average writer, authors are getting the rights back to their out-of-print works and putting the books out themselves. I just bought a Norman Spinrad novel from Amazon, and the cover image is the jpeg Calibre inserts if you convert a plain-text file to an ebook. There's another author I heard interviewed recently who said that for some of his older books, written on a typewriter, he grabbed pirated copies off bittorent and uploaded them to Amazon.