Reload this Page >

80's Martial Arts paperback "Guy" action help

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 06-18-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am trying to find a book I read in the 80's again and I donít seem to be having much success. I can't recall the title although I think it might have been "Chance". I canít recall the author either. It was one of those paperback action books that glutted the 80's. It might have even been part of a series.

Here is what I remember of the plot. An American named "Chance" was trained in martial arts and assassination by the Hmong people is Asia. He leaves and his old master hates him for it, and they end up being hired by opposing people in the same town. Chance to protect, and the old teacher to kill Chance. Change also has a female friend who is Hmong. At one point the old teacher brings along Chance's old girlfriend and they drug him with some sort of chemical mixture laced on the ex's fingernail that makes his body only responsive only to the ex. His female friend tries to "engage" him to try and break the "spell" but is unsuccessful. At the end of the book, the old man fakes his death by putting a bag with pig intestines under his close and committing a version of "seppuku/hara-kiri". Chance doesnít fall for it and is ultimately successful in defeating the old master, yet is still trapped by the spell at the end of the book.

Anyone ever hear of this or remember it?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-10, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 80's Martial Arts paperback "Guy" action help

...sounds generic, sorry.

Also..no
Old 07-06-10, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair, all the Mack Bolan/Able Team/Phoenix Force type paperbacks were meant to be generic. It was pulp
Old 07-30-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible chong
To be fair, all the Mack Bolan/Able Team/Phoenix Force type paperbacks were meant to be generic. It was pulp
That is truth right there.