Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 03:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
The Passage by Justin Cronin

This book is generating a lot of buzz. Has anyone read it (or plan on reading it)?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-1990207.html

Prepare for 'The Passage': blog, excerpt, viral videos

Thursday, 3 June 2010

Before Justin Cronin's The Passage releases internationally in June, anxious readers can tune into a fictitious blog, watch a series of viral videos, and read an excerpt from the post-apocalyptic saga that's being pegged as the summer's hottest read.

Coming in at more than 750 pages, The Passage is set in the United States after a security breach at a secret government facility unleashes the product of a military experiment, leaving behind a crumbling civilization of fearful survivors. The first book in a trilogy, it focuses on the story of one survivor, a girl named Amy.

The Passage's reputation long precedes its publication date, with Stephen King giving advance praise and Ridley Scott expected to direct a film adaptation. King, whose The Stand is a likely influence, calls the book an "enthralling, entertaining story wedded to simple, supple prose, both informed by tremendous imagination...read this book and the ordinary world disappears."

To pique readers' curiosity, The Passage is being marketed with movie-industry-like viral techniques that offer a wealth of pre-release watching and reading. FindSubjectZero.com is an extensive blog created by a fictitious computer programmer named Paul who writes, "I'm not [sure] how much of what's coming out of the media is true, but let's face it - if the disease is really spreading like they say it is, we're going to need to figure out where it originated." The site is filled with frequent blog spots, proposed initiatives for dealing with "the spread," and several Blair Witch-style videos under a tab titled "Evidence."

http://www.findsubjectzero.com

Stephen King also says of the book, "Read fifteen pages and you will find yourself captivated; read thirty and you will find yourself taken prisoner and reading late into the night." With this in mind, readers can find a 15-page excerpt of the novel at:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30662242/T...Cronin-excerpt

The Passage is due out on June 8 in the US and on June 24 in the UK.

Last edited by Geofferson; 06-07-10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Passage by Justin Cronin

This one really interests me -- I may have to buy the hardcover. (I have never purchased a hardcover, if I recall correctly.) Otherwise, it's likely at least a 6-month wait before the library gets it in, processes it and I move up the wait list.
Old 06-08-10, 11:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This shipped today for me. It takes me forever to finish a book (just finished Under the Dome sunday night and I've had that thing since it first came out) so I won't be commenting much on this but I really look forward to this one.
Old 06-09-10, 08:03 PM

I have read 200 pages of it since it came last night from Amazon. It is fantastic so far. It is a true page turner.
Old 06-10-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The cover blurb makes it sound like an epic version of Stephen King's The Mist, which would be absolutely awesome.

But then I read some reviews, and it turns out to be vampires.

Fucking vampires.

Can we just retire the undead for a while? Vampires and zombies are so played out that it's only a matter of time before Oprah features a vamp-snogging book on her show (if she hasn't already).
Old 06-11-10, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara

Fucking vampires.

Can we just retire the undead for a while? Vampires and zombies are so played out that it's only a matter of time before Oprah features a vamp-snogging book on her show (if she hasn't already).
These are vampires like the infected were zombies in 28 Days Later. Almost done with the book and so far I have it as 4.5/5.0. Hope to finish up this weekend.
Old 06-11-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's fantastic.
Old 06-12-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started this, a very rare Hardcover purchase for me as I Kindle most of my reading.
Old 06-12-10, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's next on my reading list after So Cold the River (Koryta). Currently trying to avoid any reviews or news on The Passage so I won't be a victim of hype.
Old 06-15-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The cover blurb makes it sound like an epic version of Stephen King's The Mist, which would be absolutely awesome.

Fucking vampires.

Can we just retire the undead for a while?
Its really not vampires, do NOT let the vampire-label turn you off of this book, I'm sick of them as well.

I finally sat down to get into this book the past couple of nights & it is absolutely phenomenal. The definition of a page-turner & extremely well written.
Old 06-16-10, 10:30 AM

This will probably be my next read after I get through Steig Larsson's Millenium Trilogy. Looks like an excellent book with the reviews to match.
Old 06-22-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Just finished it and liked it a lot. Hopefully it becomes a series (or trilogy) like i heard rumors of.
R Scott will be directing the film version
Old 06-23-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm halfway through and...

Spoiler:
...I'm really not digging the direction the plot is taking. Yes, there's still a good ways to go, but the story ground to a halt IMO when it jumped 100 years into the future. Was absolutely gripping -- on par with The Stand gripping -- up until the evac of Philadelphia. Seriously downhill from there. The new characters (Peter, Alicia, etc.) are terribly underdeveloped and the detailed environments of the novel's beginnings have given way to a Logan's Run/Road Warrior-lite desert encampment and...yeah, just praying it picks up a bit soon or else I may have to shelve this in favor of the dozen or so books currently in my to-read pile.
Old 06-23-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
Just finished it and liked it a lot. Hopefully it becomes a series (or trilogy) like i heard rumors of.
R Scott will be directing the film version
Book 2 - 2012
Book 3 - 2014
Old 06-23-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I'm halfway through and...

Spoiler:
...I'm really not digging the direction the plot is taking. Yes, there's still a good ways to go, but the story ground to a halt IMO when it jumped 100 years into the future. Was absolutely gripping -- on par with The Stand gripping -- up until the evac of Philadelphia. Seriously downhill from there. The new characters (Peter, Alicia, etc.) are terribly underdeveloped and the detailed environments of the novel's beginnings have given way to a Logan's Run/Road Warrior-lite desert encampment and...yeah, just praying it picks up a bit soon or else I may have to shelve this in favor of the dozen or so books currently in my to-read pile.
Spoiler:
stay with it. i remember slowing down when i got to the 100 year jump and he starts throwing out all these new characters, but really it picks up again (and doesnt stop) and he doesnt waste too much time on characters that dont really matter
Old 06-23-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Read some good reviews so I might have to pick this up.
Old 06-23-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
Spoiler:
stay with it. i remember slowing down when i got to the 100 year jump and he starts throwing out all these new characters, but really it picks up again (and doesnt stop) and he doesnt waste too much time on characters that dont really matter
That's good to hear. Once the jump hit I was a little disappointed, considering everything up until that point had been a page-turner of the highest order.

Right now I'm a little over 300 pages in...
Old 06-24-10, 08:32 PM

Rich, the "jump forward" story takes about... oh, 100 pages to get going and it doesn't get as good as part one until page 477. But the last 300 pages are epic.
Old 06-24-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by woemcats
Rich, the "jump forward" story takes about... oh, 100 pages to get going and it doesn't get as good as part one until page 477. But the last 300 pages are epic.
Nearly gave up between pages 300 and 450 but glad I stuck with it. Made it to 550 today and glad I did as the pace picks up considerably.
Old 06-25-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by woemcats
Groovy, Joel. I anticipate my arrival at page 477....
Old 06-25-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

all these page numbers! i know it all as percentages since i read it on my kindle, haha. I wish the kindle would just fake page numbers or use ones from the hardcover copy along with the percent
Old 06-25-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally think all of the mentions in this thread of the "jump" should be deleted. I knew nothing about this book when I started it, I had no clue it did that when I got to that point, & personally I prefer to find those things out on my own, rather than have someone tell that the story will jump forward in time. But maybe thats me.

That said I'm around 350 pages in & I too don't like the change in story, characters, or particularly writing style (although I guess this speaks a lot for the great talent that the author is). But I have no clue where the story is going & clearly it is of such an epic scale I'm by no means writing the book off. It just right now isn't as riveting as I found the pre-jump story to be.
Old 06-26-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I have hit the late-in-story spot where things really take of and despite my initial "jump" trepidation I now cannot put this thing down. Again.

My goal is to finish this whopper by tomorrow. To hell with nice weather...
Old 06-29-10, 07:40 AM

finished it, it's not the 2nd coming of the stand like the hype made it out to be, but it was enjoyable for the most part, I have to agree that there are a few spots that slow to a crawl, and make it hard to keep going.
Old 06-29-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Met Justin Cronin last night in Denver at the Tattered Cover ... About a hundred people there, and he was an interesting dude, talking about the way he approached the vampire mythology, based it more in the real world ... Young guy, friendly and funny, with almost unnaturally straight, white teeth ... He said it would be about 2 years before part 2 comes out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.