Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDTALK BOOK CLUB - June 07 to July 1 - Makers by Cory Doctorow

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 06-07-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're gonna kick off the Book Club with a Book that the author offers for FREE to download, Cory Doctorow's MAKERS

From Booklist
Covering the transformation of Kodacell (formerly Kodak and Duracell) into a network of tiny teams, journalist Suzanne Church goes to Florida and the inventors behind it all, Lester and Perry, who have more ideas than they know what to do with. The New Work (i.e., the network) takes off, with a mini-startup in every abandoned strip mall in America. But suddenly, it crashes, and things get really interesting. Lester and Perry build an interactive ride in an abandoned Wal-Mart, a nostalgia trip through their glory days, that catches the eye of a vicious Disney exec—and the old corporate giants fight their last battle against the new economic order. Doctorow’s talent for imagining the near future is astonishing, and his novels keep getting better. His prognostications are unnervingly plausible and completely bizarre, obviously developed from careful observation of what’s going on at the bleeding edge of technology and culture. The characters are simultaneously completely geeky and suave, lovable and flawed. Even the suits, marketing people and lawyers, are interesting. --Regina Schroeder
So download your book, read at your leisure, and discuss

SPOLIER tags please with a reference to where you are in the book before the tags.

Lets have fun with this!!

Discussion to Start ASAP

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 06-07-10 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-07-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVDTALK BOOK CLUB - June 07 to July 1 - Makers by Cory Doctorow

Sounds good. I'm in after I finish the book I am reading now.
Old 06-07-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see a link, so you can download it here:

http://craphound.com/makers/download/
Old 06-07-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

I have read other Doctorow books and an interesting theme in them is his use of the language and tools of modern social networking websites and placing them into the culture at large in the near future.

For example, in one book, money is replaced by an aggregate score of how many people respect you, and is accessed through a brain implant. If you have a high score, people just give you things. Its a play on the number of twitter followers or Facebook friends.

I think this crowd will love his stuff
Old 06-11-10, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am about 1/4 to 1/3 through this book, and I have to admit that I am enjoying it. It's definitely not like most typical novels, but it's interesting, and I like how it quickly it moves through plot and time frames.
Old 06-11-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctorow seems to have more ideas then patience as a writer. He is basically trying to destroy the traditional Intellectual Property model and that anarchism shows through in his work.

I am starting it tonight so this weekend so Ill have some feedback soon
Old 06-11-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I have read other Doctorow books and an interesting theme in them is his use of the language and tools of modern social networking websites and placing them into the culture at large in the near future.

For example, in one book, money is replaced by an aggregate score of how many people respect you, and is accessed through a brain implant. If you have a high score, people just give you things. Its a play on the number of twitter followers or Facebook friends.

I think this crowd will love his stuff
It predates Twitter and Facebook by years.
Old 06-12-10, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctorow seems to have more ideas then patience as a writer.
This definitely shows in what I've read of the book so far.
Old 06-13-10, 01:02 PM
Cool New Member

creative book
Old 06-14-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

About 25% of the way through and this is alot of fun.

I've found myself trying to apply the New Work concept at my job, with a lot of strange stares.

Plus, Doctorow seemes obsessed with incorporating
Spoiler:
Disney
into his stories
Old 06-14-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am halfway through, and still enjoying it. There is one thing that seemed out of place -

Spoiler:
the sex scene. It was graphic in detail, and seemed to be out of place in the book. When it became evident that it was going to happen, I thought that it would just be glossed over, but it wasn't. It just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the book, IMO
Old 06-15-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just about to post that...holy crap that was graphic!
Old 06-15-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just about to post that...holy crap that was graphic!
Definitely, and to me, it really detracts from the book, because it is so out of place.
Old 06-15-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Definitely, and to me, it really detracts from the book, because it is so out of place.
If the book doesn't gloss over it for me, I just gloss over it myself. I did that in this case.
Old 06-16-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished

Its funny...

Spoiler:
All science fiction is essentially about a commentary on the world and what the authors says it could or should be, but few let it just hang out there like Doctorow. He wants all his novels to be field guides for taking down the corporate copy-write structure and re-assembling the economy as he sees fit, but there is no subtlety to it.

I like some of the characters, but even though I think Cory's ideas are exciting, it even becomes heavy handed for me.
Old 06-16-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed it, but it didn't make me want to run out and read any more of his books. Also, I found it dragged at certain points, and it was too long.

The epilogue of the book reminded me of a Simpsons episode:

Spoiler:
with how Lester ended up on after being on fatkins. Can't remember which one it was, but Flanders had gone blind 10 or 20 years in the future because he had Lasik eye surgery, and no one knew the long term implications.
Old 06-16-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
I enjoyed it, but it didn't make me want to run out and read any more of his books. Also, I found it dragged at certain points, and it was too long.
I felt the same way after reading it a couple of months ago, it dragged a bit and it jumped around too much for me to get too interested in the characters. Since I had them on my kindle I decided to read a couple of others anyway. Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom I liked a bit more, and Little Brother, even though it was more of a teen book, I liked a lot. It was still kind of heavy handed about some things, but it really kept my interest and, for me, didn't drag at all.

Last edited by Ginwen; 06-16-10 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-18-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ginwen
I felt the same way after reading it a couple of months ago, it dragged a bit and it jumped around too much for me to get too interested in the characters. Since I had them on my kindle I decided to read a couple of others anyway. Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom I liked a bit more, and Little Brother, even though it was more of a teen book, I liked a lot. It was still kind of heavy handed about some things, but it really kept my interest and, for me, didn't drag at all.
I believe both of them were a lot shorter. Down and out in the Magic Kingdom was good