Reload this Page >

HICK by Andrea Portes (my wife)

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 04-16-10, 01:50 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, my wife released her debut novel, HICK, a few years back and it got optioned for a feature film. It also became her debut as a screenwriter. Anyways, the film is finally gaining some steam and the script is getting some good buzz with a good director on board and the script is out to several big name actors/actresses.

Anyways, we're kind of excited and if some of you have nothing better to read, please pick up her book and then when the movie comes out you can say "I read that book before anyone had ever heard of the movie..." You can pick it up at your local Amazon

Here's a mini review from Publisher's Weekly: (some spoilers, especially in the 2nd paragraph)

Portes's chilling debut tracks a 13-year-old Nebraska girl's hard-going life on the road. Young Luli knows losers—her "aging Brigitte Bardot" mother, Tammy, and her father, Nick, go at each other every night at the Alibi, the watering hole in hometown Palmyra, Neb. Tammy runs away one morning, and Nick soon follows, leaving Luli alone at home with the Smith and Wesson .45 her Uncle Nipper gave her. Pistol in tow, she hitches rides heading west to Vegas. A crooked man (literally; he "looks like an italic," says smart-alecky Luli) named Eddie picks her up briefly before throwing her out of the car.

Next comes cocaine-snorting grifter Glenda, who enlists Luli as an accessory to a robbery that goes awry. Glenda takes Luli under her wing. The two cross paths again with Eddie, who rapes Luli and ties her up in a secluded motel. Glenda comes to her rescue, but the confrontation with Eddie ends badly. Luli's flippant narration makes for a love-it or hate-it read.

and an excerpt from the book:

If I could grab you out your seat and make you fly past yourself and set you down in the middle of this red wooden shoebox, you'd be staring at my mama. You can see her now, ruddy-faced and getting a little too loud, some kind of aging Brigitte Bardot, ten years later and twenty pounds past what might have been, sitting there in a yellow tank, pink nails and blond flip-up hair. And the shoes, the shoes are the crowning glory, the angel on top of the tinsel tree, yellow plastic mules with a flower etched on the strap, just above her chipped pink toe-berries. My mama's littlest toe looks like a shrimp. She's half in the bag and not caring about bra strap showing or big brass laughing or acting slutty.

That's my dad, there in the corner, hunched over the bar like some kind of beaten question mark. He's staring fixed into his 7 & 7. Seven for give up. Seven for make do. Not much left over. There's no doubt in my mind that if he could dive headfirst into the ice-cube clinking whiskey pool dangling at the end of his fingertips, he would.

If you threw Elvis and a scarecrow in a blender, topped the whole thing off with Seagram's 7 and pressed dice, you would make my dad. He's got tar black hair and shoulder- blades that cut through his undershirt like clipped wings. He looks like a gray-skinned, skinny-rat cowboy and I would be lying if I didn't say that I am, maybe sorta kinda, keep it secret, in love with him.

And you would be, too, you would, if you met him before drink number five or six. Just meet him then. Get lost before things get ugly.

His name is Nick, but call him Nicholas, like that Russian royal from my yard-sale World Book, cause if anybody in Lancaster County looks like some displaced king, it's my dad, shot through time like a diamond in a dirtbox.

My mama's name is Tammy, last name Cutter. And the worst part about it is, my dad can't stop being in love with her. Even as she sharpens her knife on the bones sticking out his back, even as she slurs her words, even as she makes goo-goo eyes at strangers, even then, he tilts his glass and shrugs and jiggles the change in his pocket and waits for her to love him back.

Last edited by Crow331; 06-10-10 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-28-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: HICK by Andrea Portes (my wife)

Very cool man. Hope it actually gets made. You might have garnered more interest in the Movie forum though.
Old 04-29-10, 11:17 AM

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Congrats to your wife's success as a writer. Hope this gets made.
Old 04-29-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good luck with the film.
Old 04-29-10, 11:47 AM

bought the book from amazon after reading your post, very good read so far, i like your wife's style. Good luck for the future.
Old 04-29-10, 11:03 PM

finished it this afternoon, good read, lots of internal dialog, not sure how she's planning to pull that off in her screenplay, but i'm sure she has that all figured out. Thanks again for the recommendation! 2 thumbs up.
Old 04-30-10, 12:30 AM
Suspended

Thanks guys!

Hey Sirgey, thanks for picking it up! Glad you liked it.

I have no idea how my wife is doing the internal dialog because she won't let me read the screenplay and she doesn't tell me anything! LOL Narration is what I would guess?

We have some pretty big casting news that is about to go down, but not quite ready to be released yet. Hopefully we can spill the beans in a week or two. There is a comic book connection though that I think some of you will like!

Last edited by Crow331; 04-30-10 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-01-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Very cool man. Hope it actually gets made. You might have garnered more interest in the Movie forum though.
Sorry for the suggestion.
Old 05-01-10, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Auto, thanks for the support.

When people want to know more about what my wife looks like than info about her first time novel, first time screenplay, first time film option then I've obviously posted in the wrong forum.
Old 05-01-10, 08:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 638 Likes on 426 Posts

If your wife is as good at editing as you I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Old 05-04-10, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Crow331
Auto, thanks for the support.

When people want to know more about what my wife looks like than info about her first time novel, first time screenplay, first time film option then I've obviously posted in the wrong forum.
Now that you brought it up, she does look pretty hot on the dust jacket

Can I take a guess at the casting news/comic book crossover, maybe the little girl who played hit girl? Would be about the right age, and we already know there isn't a problem with the cursing she would need to do
Old 05-28-10, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sirgey
Can I take a guess at the casting news/comic book crossover, maybe the little girl who played hit girl? Would be about the right age, and we already know there isn't a problem with the cursing she would need to do

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1631269/

Last edited by Crow331; 05-28-10 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 03:58 PM
Suspended

It's official!

Chloe Moretz signs on to the film. Very exciting!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...=1&ref=bd_film
Old 06-09-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. I am planning to buy it from the Sony ebook store (if they let me buy it, sometimes they are strange with selling books to Canadians).

Keep us up to date on further developments, it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.
Old 06-09-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 892 Likes on 630 Posts

Crow, links are always good. Like this one:

Buy.com - $4 with free shipping

Quick question though about the synopsis. Why is she headed to Vegas, or is that something that would be spoiled by putting it in the description? Is that where mom and dad went? It just seems vague to me for some reason, and an odd locale for a 13 year old to choose to trek to.
Old 06-10-10, 12:28 AM
Suspended

Wow, I can't believe I forgot the link and I can't believe no one reminded me that I forgot the link! HA! Thanks!!

Here is amazon's link with a bunch of A+ reviews, if you're one who likes to read reviews first, but you should probably avoid the Publisher's Weekly review if you don't want it to be spoiled.

http://www.amazon.com/Hick-Andrea-Po...6143779&sr=8-1

To answer your question about Vegas, without giving much away, she doesn't want to end up a "loser" like her parents and she thinks she'll avoid that fate by finding a sugar daddy in Vegas. It's not a strange locale for a 13 year old like Luli believe me. With the first line of the book you will realize that Luli isn't your typical 13 year old.

Thanks for reading guys and if you want to stay updated with all the goings on of the movie including casting updates, behind the scenes, interviews and more please join our facebook page at www.facebook.com/hickthemovie

Last edited by Crow331; 07-03-10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-03-10, 04:08 PM
Suspended

Attention Los Angeles! Come meet the the writer of HICK, Andrea Portes, at the BORDERS in Palos Verdes for a HICK reading/signing event. Sunday, July 18th from 2-4 pm! She may also read some pages from her new novel, as well as talk a bit about the HICK screenplay and upcoming film starring Chloe Moretz of KICK-ASS fame (Hit Girl)

Also, here is a short online interview with the film's director, Derick Martini

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...ratuitous.html
Old 07-04-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Congratulations to your wife on becoming a successful writer! I just started writing what i hope to complete my first full length novel.. Any advice your wife can give me or web sites she can recommend?
Old 07-13-10, 12:33 PM
Suspended

REMINDER!

THIS SUNDAY! July 18 from 2-4 pm

If you live in Los Angeles, come meet the writer of HICK! Andrea Portes, writer of the novel and screenplay, will be at Borders in Palos Verdes this Sunday, July 18 from 2-4 pm ... she will read from HICK and also her new novel and talk about the HICK screenplay and any questions you may have regarding Chloe in the film, including THAT scene.
Old 04-27-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Wife Made Blake Lively A Redhead!

Bought the book a while ago, and am planning to start it very soon. Glad to hear that the movie seems to be going well, and some good people in it (Lively, Morentz, Alec Baldwin, etc).
Old 05-11-12, 09:06 PM

how come no bump for this thread or making a new one in the movie forums to promote the opening of your wife's movie!

Loved the book, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be playing anyplace close to me
Old 03-26-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirgey
how come no bump for this thread or making a new one in the movie forums to promote the opening of your wife's movie!

Loved the book, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be playing anyplace close to me
'cause suspended?
Old 03-26-13, 05:39 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

This is on Netflix streaming now.