Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Don't More People Here Read Female Authors?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Why Don't More People Here Read Female Authors?

Old 05-09-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Why Don't More People Here Read Female Authors?

Originally Posted by djmont
Ayn Rand was a woman?
Not even sure Ayn Rand was a human being.
Old 05-10-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KirstenS
I read a ton of women authors, but then again, I'm also a woman. Like others, one of my favorites is Robin Hobb. Bujold's Vorkosigan series is excellent, but most of the rest of what she has written is garbage. I couldn't finish the last book she wrote (The Sharing Knife). It was horrible romantic tripe. C.S. Friedman is another favorite. I'll devour anything she's written, but I especially loved the Coldfire Trilogy. I don't think many people realize that she's a woman. I really enjoyed Elizabeth Moon's Paksennarion series, and she finally came out with a new book in that series in March. I have that one saved in my pile for my next vacation. I've read a lot of horrible female authors, but I've also read a lot of horrible male authors.

For the most part however, most of the authors I read are men. I'm sure that's mostly because my preferred genre, fantasy/sci fi, is very male-dominated. My mom is a devoted mystery reader, and the male/female ratio is a lot more balanced there.

Robin Hobb's latest (Dragon Keeper) is free in ebook form both on Amazon and at Sony's ebook store. http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Keeper-...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
Old 05-10-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stp115
Robin Hobb's latest (Dragon Keeper) is free in ebook form both on Amazon and at Sony's ebook store. http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Keeper-...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
I have the hardcover. I'll toss in an order on the Kindle edition and do the Sony one when I get home though, thanks.

I'm getting a mini collection of free ebooks - eventually I need to get a real e-reader to read them. So far I'm using my HP TX2 convertible laptop...but e-ink would be much better.
Old 05-10-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I finished The Bluest Eye late last night, and the edition I have includes an afterword by Toni Morrison. I found some of her remarks interesting:

Also, although I was pressing for a female expressiveness, it eluded me for the most part, and I had to content myself with female personae because I was not able to secure throughout the work the feminine subtext that is present in the opening sentence (the women gossiping, eager and aghast in "Quiet as it's kept")...It is interesting to me now that where I thought I would have the most difficulty subverting the language to a feminine mode, I had the least: connecting Cholly's "rape" by the whitemen to his own of his daughter. This most masculine act of aggression becomes feminized in my language, "passive," and I think, more accurately repellent when deprived of the male "glamour of shame" rape is (or once was) routinely given.
This was Morrison's first novel, so perhaps this struggle had more to do with the stage of her evolution than anything else. Still, I found it interesting that a woman author would confess to having such a difficult time writing with a feminine voice--especially given the prolific and personal nature of the work itself.
Old 05-12-10, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stp115
Excellent, thank you! I just got the next book in this series (Dragon Haven) in the mail yesterday from Amazon, and it's great to have this one on my Kindle for re-reads.