The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
there's a lot of truth behind it.
qft
Old 03-27-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Do you do library books on yours?

Here is why I ask. On paper it sounds like a great feature... but in application I found it to be pretty disappointing. Many public library systems don't have much of an ebook collection. The other much larger problem is when they buy a book for that collection it can only be checked out to one person at a time (typically for 2 weeks). That means they have to buy multiple copies to allow a decent turnover. Also, those patrons often let it auto-check in when the 14 days expire versus a popular paper book might be returned early. End result is that for a popular ebook the wait list might literally be over a year long while the paper version could be had in a month or two.

Another big problem is the publishers putting ebooks into the library system. One of the major publishers is restricting an ebook to 26 checkouts and then the library has to buy a new copy. That alone is going to heavily stifle growth on that front because it becomes a poor investment.

As for epub and DRM - that really only applies if you are buying specifically from Borders or B&N. Amazon matches or beats both those sites pretty often on book prices so I don't see it as a big deal.

So if library use is a big deal to you I highly recommend going to your local library and seeing what their ebook collection is like. Try putting one of the popular ones on hold and read it on your PC and see what the hold time is like.
Been getting library ebooks for my Nook for well over six months now. Yes, the waitlists are long for the newest bestsellers, but I typically don't need the newest bestsellers right away. I can't imagine how much I've saved by borrowing ebooks as opposed to buying them from the store. The system definitely needs improvement, but for me, having a device that allows library ebooks - as deficient as the collection may be - already offsets the other perceived benefits of the Kindle.
Old 04-03-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Medspeaking
I don't know if I'm violating any forum regulations;
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/anwy2MPT5RE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plugging your book in a forum you've contributed to five times in the last two years is real spammy. If you want to promote your work, put a link in your sig and post interesting, on-topic comments.
Old 04-03-11, 10:53 AM

Plugging your book in a forum you've contributed to five times in the last two years is real spammy. If you want to promote your work, put a link in your sig and post interesting, on-topic comments.
No problem, post deleted. I really just wasn't sure. It wasn't that I was looking to plug so much as to give the coupon code and I did specifically want to give it to those with e-readers rather than just post in a bargain-type thread.
Old 04-11-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So there's a advertising sponsered kindle edition out now...$25 off the regular price to see an ad on the screensaver page.
Old 04-11-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
So there's a advertising sponsered kindle edition out now...$25 off the regular price to see an ad on the screensaver page.
A $25 discount doesn't seem like much, even though the ads will only appear on the screensaver and the bottom of the home screen. I think an advertising supported Kindle at $89 or $99 would be a hit.

However, I am intrigued by the special offers:

Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
Receive special offers directly on your Kindle. Examples include:
$10 for $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
$6 for 6 Audible Books (normally $68)
$1 for an album in the Amazon MP3 Store (choose from over 1 million albums)
$10 for $30 of products in the Amazon Denim Shop or Amazon Swim Shop
I would definitely be interested in some of those offers.
Old 04-11-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder how long until someone hacks the ad-sponsored version to lose the ads.
Old 04-11-11, 10:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory02
I would definitely be interested in some of those offers.
Me too. Hopefully they are available to those of us with "premium" kindles.
Originally Posted by mgbfan
I wonder how long until someone hacks the ad-sponsored version to lose the ads.
The regular version was hacked almost immediately to show custom screensavers, so it shouldn't take long.

Last edited by Groucho; 04-11-11 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Can you get those special offers with a regular kindle?
Old 04-12-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So you save $25 and then have to get ads not only as screensavers, but at the bottom of your home page ...... forever!

If they key your ads to your book purchases, that could get pretty annoying ..... buy a book about retirement planning, and start getting ads for Depends!
Old 04-12-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the big deal about ads as screensavers? When my screensaver is on that means I'm not using my Kindle and since I have a cover I rarely have to look at them.
Old 04-12-11, 11:38 AM

If I read the page correctly, on the Kindle with wifi only is available with "special offers." I guess this also explains why Amazon has never opened up the Kindle to screensaver apps. They've had plans for a screensaver.
Old 04-12-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any way to turn a non-special offer kindle into a special offer kindle?

If they gave me a $25 amazon credit for e-books, I'd install a software update that would show ads.
Old 04-13-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't know if this is common knowledge, but the ipad has a free Overdrive app to read library epubs. I was blown away =)
Old 04-14-11, 10:58 AM

Old 04-16-11, 12:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$25 is worth Amazon being able to spam you with ads for the lifetime of the device? I think not.
Old 04-16-11, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
$25 is worth Amazon being able to spam you with ads for the lifetime of the device? I think not.
It's not worth saving $25 to me, but I really don't mind the way Amazon has handled it. They haven't done away with the regular Kindle, so people have a choice. If this was forced on existing users in an update, it would be a different story.

The ads only show up on the screen saver and the bottom of the home page. I don't spend much time looking at either. It would be a much bigger deal if the ads were showing up in the middle of a book.

To me, this is kind of like many apps for iOS or Android. You can get the cheap or free version with ads, or pay to avoid them. The only difference is that the ads in many games or other apps are sometimes much more intrusive. Plus ads are even starting to show up in the paid apps.
Old 04-16-11, 01:52 PM

Amazon's Deal of the Day: Kindle DX for $299
Old 04-16-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

If I was buying a kindle, that's the one I would buy. Strangely they don't have ads in the iOS or android apps yet
Old 04-16-11, 07:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If they're going to put it in ads for the lifetime of the device, it should be $100 off. They'd make the money back.
Old 04-17-11, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Can the kindle read other ebook formats? I read it was hacked and my Wife wants to read all the books I bought on my iPad. Stupid me, I should have purchased from Kindle the entire time (even the App is nicer then Apple's iBook).

And why do some call it the Kindle 3 when the current ones are Kindle 2 on Amazon.com (and retailers)?

Last edited by Gizmo; 04-17-11 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-18-11, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The current one is Kindle 3 on Amazon and retailers. Amazon will label older generations and not have a label for the current one (i.e. iPod Touch).

It can't read other book formats but you can convert them with Calibre (it CAN read PDF but it sucks at it). The problem is that Apple closes up their formats, I'm not sure if you can even extract the book files without jailbreaking.
Old 04-19-11, 08:37 AM

Go here - http://www.mobileread.com/forums/index.php

It's an invaluable resource of all things ereader. You'll find forums dedicated to the all the ereaders and to the software (such as Calibre) that enhances them.
Old 04-19-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, mobileread is the place to go for e-reader discussion. I frequent there now. They aren't allowed to discuss DRM stripping though.

Gizmo -

AFAIK the Apple ibook DRM hasn't been broken...but I could be wrong.

Search up Apprentice Alf's blog for removing DRM.

From Alf:
"There’s currently no way to remove DRM from ebooks using Apple’s Fairplay DRM scheme, used on most ebooks bought at Apple’s iBooks ebook store."

But he retired a few months ago (that post was from January), so maybe there have been advances that I'm not aware of.

I detest DRM and avoid buying books with it at all cost. On the rare occasions I buy it (normally from B&N since they do Epubs) I liberate it of DRM immediately.

If the DRM was removed, you could convert epub to mobi for use on the Kindle really easily (and vice versa) - Apple uses standard epub with proprietary DRM on it.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 04-19-11 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 08:26 AM

Amazon announces Kindle Library Lending via OverDrive:

(NASDAQ: AMZN)-- Amazon today announced Kindle Library Lending, a new feature launching later this year that will allow Kindle customers to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 libraries in the United States. Kindle Library Lending will be available for all generations of Kindle devices and free Kindle reading apps.

"We're excited that millions of Kindle customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from their local libraries," said Jay Marine, Director, Amazon Kindle. "Customers tell us they love Kindle for its Pearl e-ink display that is easy to read even in bright sunlight, up to a month of battery life, and Whispersync technology that synchronizes notes, highlights and last page read between their Kindle and free Kindle apps."

Customers will be able to check out a Kindle book from their local library and start reading on any Kindle device or free Kindle app for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone. If a Kindle book is checked out again or that book is purchased from Amazon, all of a customer's annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.

"We're doing a little something extra here," Marine continued. "Normally, making margin notes in library books is a big no-no. But we're extending our Whispersync technology so that you can highlight and add margin notes to Kindle books you check out from your local library. Your notes will not show up when the next patron checks out the book. But if you check out the book again, or subsequently buy it, your notes will be there just as you left them, perfectly Whispersynced."

With Kindle Library Lending, customers can take advantage of all of the unique features of Kindle and Kindle books, including:

Paper-like Pearl electronic-ink display
No glare even in bright sunlight
Lighter than a paperback - weighs just 8.5 ounces and holds up to 3,500 books
Up to one month of battery life with wireless off
Read everywhere with free Kindle apps for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry and Windows Phone
Whispersync technology wirelessly sync your books, notes, highlights, and last page read across Kindle and free Kindle reading apps
Real Page Numbers - easily reference passages with page numbers that correspond to actual print editions

Amazon is working with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content solutions for over 11,000 public and educational libraries in the United States, to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle customers. "We are excited to be working with Amazon to offer Kindle Library Lending to the millions of customers who read on Kindle and Kindle apps," said Steve Potash, CEO, OverDrive. "We hear librarians and patrons rave about Kindle, so we are thrilled that we can be part of bringing library books to the unparalleled experience of reading on Kindle."

Kindle Library Lending will be available later this year for Kindle and free Kindle app users. To learn more about Kindle go to www.amazon.com/kindle.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....678&highlight=

Great news for Kindle owners.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.