Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Gracias for the knowledge bomb.
Old 01-05-10, 02:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw this on Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/s...-a-sprint-sto/

Looks like an interesting alternative to the standard design we've been seeing from other manufacturers.
Old 01-06-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Saw this on Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/s...-a-sprint-sto/

Looks like an interesting alternative to the standard design we've been seeing from other manufacturers.

Ooooooooohhhh. Bendy!

That is probably going to be extremely expensive. I would love to see that in-person. I am baffled by how it will work.
Old 01-07-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a list of e-book readers unveiled at CES

http://www.maclife.com/article/featu...C-EX2244440726
Old 01-07-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exciting!

I love my Kindle, but there are countless ways to improve on e-book readers. I don't care for any sort of LCD integration. I want to see improved e-ink tech or new tech that has great refresh rates. I'm not sure how I feel about e-ink touchscreens either. Don't they all need some protective layer over them that introduces more glare?

Well all this competition is great, can't wait to see where we are a year from now.
Old 01-08-10, 04:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Was gonna get a Kindle tilI found out the Harry Potter books will never be in ereader format..that the Ann Rice Interview with a Vampire, Lestat, etc arent on there yet, and an Elvis bio by Alana Nash isnt either. So if I cant have my must reads I aint geting one. There's too many books in the HP series for my eyes to handle..so JK Rowling isnt taking into consideration lost sales from those of us who arent purchasing the books altogether.
Old 01-22-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Asus Reader looks really nice. It uses a different tech than E-ink, really like to see it in person.
Old 01-24-10, 07:57 PM
Banned by request

Is that one using the Pixel Qi screen?
Old 01-25-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

OK

I played with a nook and that MFer is SLOW. I know that updates to increase speed are coming but anyone know when? I might end up with a Sony Touch if this takes too long
Old 01-25-10, 09:09 AM

Any idea if Kindle will be coming out with a 3rd Gen? I believe 2nd gen was announced sometime around now last year. I have no issues holding off before me purchasing one.
Old 01-25-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Asus reader uses the SiPix Microcup electronic paper.

I'm sure Amazon will announce a 3rd Gen Kindle soon. Rumors are floating around. I love my Kindle 2 though. It'll probably be a long time before I get another e-reader.
Old 01-26-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone have a touch screen E-book reader? The new Sony Daily Edition PRS-900BC appears to still have contrast and glare issues. Touch seems like the next logical step, but they really need to fix this issue.
Old 01-26-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
Does anyone have a touch screen E-book reader? The new Sony Daily Edition PRS-900BC appears to still have contrast and glare issues. Touch seems like the next logical step, but they really need to fix this issue.
I just got the 900. I've had both the 500 and 505. While there is a slight glare issue, it's been very overblown. I'd say it's 95% as readable as the 505, with the touch and greatly improved speed making it the better reader.
Old 01-26-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Honestly, my Kindle has more glare than I want. And the video I saw of the PRS-900BC was noticeably worse. It'd probably aggravate me, certainly not worth the $550 price tag. Glad you like it though. I'm sure they'll figure out how to cut down the glare eventually.
Old 01-26-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

http://www.infibeam.com/Pi

Infibeam.com Pi - India's first eBook Reader
Old 01-27-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
http://www.infibeam.com/Pi

Infibeam.com Pi - India's first eBook Reader
The whole site is an awesome Amazon knockoff.
Old 01-27-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Quick question

IF I were to get a Kindle

I would have to...

Strip DRM from PDF's and ePubs from my lending library JUST to get them ON A PROGRAM THAT WOULD THEN CONVERT THEM TO MOBI JUST TO GET ON THE KINDLE?
(This is not violating the TOS of this website because I would delete these stripped files after 21 days as they would automatically from the library)

Is this process automated in any of the freeware eBook managment software that would work with a Kindle?

How is the formatting?
Old 01-27-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Quick question

IF I were to get a Kindle

I would have to...

Strip DRM from PDF's and ePubs from my lending library JUST to get them ON A PROGRAM THAT WOULD THEN CONVERT THEM TO MOBI JUST TO GET ON THE KINDLE?
(This is not violating the TOS of this website because I would delete these stripped files after 21 days as they would automatically from the library)

Is this process automated in any of the freeware eBook managment software that would work with a Kindle?

How is the formatting?
I don't think this site would allow discussion of how to rip Netflix DVDs to watch on some other device even if you promised to delete the file when you sent the DVD back. I could be wrong, though.
Old 01-27-10, 08:16 PM
Banned by request

Well, Apple dashed my hopes of their tablet being useful as an ereader, and I don't want a Kindle because of Amazon's stupid DRM restrictions, so I guess I'm back to the waiting game.
Old 01-27-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, Apple dashed my hopes of their tablet being useful as an ereader, and I don't want a Kindle because of Amazon's stupid DRM restrictions, so I guess I'm back to the waiting game.
Yeah, I think the people have spoken on using big LCD screens for reading books on. PC reading never caught on the way the eink stuff has. I've never had an issue, but I know most people hate it.

I still use my iPod Touch and eReader software, but I may get a Nook since I can put all my eReader books on it and it also supports ePub.
Old 01-27-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I don't think this site would allow discussion of how to rip Netflix DVDs to watch on some other device even if you promised to delete the file when you sent the DVD back. I could be wrong, though.
But netflix dvds play on all players...I just want to know if a Kindle is POSSIBLE
Old 01-28-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon doesn't force DRM on publishers anymore, it's their choice (although I'm sure there is some fine print). I don't know how many publishers will release DRM free books though.

As for the library thing. I have no idea, but I don't have a library near me that allows for e-books, so it's irrelevant.
Old 01-28-10, 11:25 AM
Banned by request

It's less about taking the Amazon books out and more about sideloading books from other sites in. From what I understand, it's still a PIA to do that on the Kindle.
Old 01-28-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's less about taking the Amazon books out and more about sideloading books from other sites in. From what I understand, it's still a PIA to do that on the Kindle.
Why not one of the Sony ebook readers? Amazon bullied them into being the most open, and then bullied them into lowering their prices. (thanks Amazon)
Old 01-28-10, 12:12 PM
Banned by request

I would, but I can't see how one adds notes. I'm going back to school, so the option of adding notes in the "margins" is useful to me. So either I put up with the Kindle workarounds or the Nook inconsistencies. Or I hold off and see if anything more interesting drops.

Edit: Hmm, it appears the two touch models allow text entry for notes via an on-screen keyboard. Interesting. Maybe I will go for a Sony. Has anyone used the Sony Daily Reader Edition? Is it worth the price premium over a Kindle? Is the touch responsive?

Last edited by Supermallet; 01-28-10 at 12:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.