Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson (10/01/09)

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson (10/01/09)

Old 09-29-09, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Product Description
For ten years, between 1985 and 1995, Calvin and Hobbes was one the world's most beloved comic strips. And then, on the last day of 1995, the strip ended. Its mercurial and reclusive creator, Bill Watterson, not only finished the strip but withdrew entirely from public life. There is no merchandising associated with Calvin and Hobbes: no movie franchise; no plush toys; no coffee mugs; no t-shirts (except a handful of illegal ones). There is only the strip itself, and the books in which it has been compiled - including The Complete Calvin and Hobbes: the heaviest book ever to hit the New York Times bestseller list.
In Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and His Revolutionary Comic Strip, writer Nevin Martell traces the life and career of the extraordinary, influential, and intensely private man behind Calvin and Hobbes. With input from a wide range of artists and writers (including Dave Barry, Harvey Pekar, Jonathan Lethem, and Brad Bird) as well as some of Watterson's closest friends and professional colleagues, this is as close as we're ever likely to get to one of America's most ingenious and intriguing figures - and a fascinating detective story, at the same time.

Only 3,160 Calvin and Hobbes strips were ever produced, but Watterson has left behind an impressive legacy. Calvin and Hobbes references litter the pop culture landscape and his fans are as varied as they are numerable. Looking for Calvin and Hobbes is an affectionate and revealing book about uncovering the story behind this most uncommon trio - a man, a boy, and his tiger.

Review
"Nevin Martell's book provides a rare glimpse of the riddle wrapped in the mystery inside an enigma that is Bill Watterson and his brilliant work, which I now know was almost called 'Marvin and Hobbes.'" --Stephan Pastis, creator of Pearls Before Swine

"Watterson can hide, but he can't die. His work lives on and we're lucky to have Nevin Martell reminding us so colorfully in this joyful book." --Berkeley Breathed

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/082...pf_rd_i=507846

Along with The complete Bloom County that's coming out, i can't wait for this book. It will be great to learn a little more about the man behind Calvin and Hobbes even though he's severely private these days. But it will be cool to read insights from his friends and colleagues.

Last edited by Rainet; 09-30-09 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-05-09, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson (10/01/

Wow, thanks for the heads up, I'm ordering it right away.
Old 10-05-09, 05:24 PM

Re: Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson (10/01/

Great! Thanks!!
Old 10-09-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

Definitely need to read this. I still cringe every time I see a Calvin pissing on something sticker.
Old 10-14-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Great read, learned a lot of new things about Watterson.
Old 10-14-09, 05:04 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll need to buy this, and read it to Tommy at his grave.
Old 10-14-09, 10:15 PM

I just got mine today, but i haven't had a chance to read it. Can't wait though.
Old 10-30-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm hunting down a copy tonight. Jesus this looks to be fantastic.