Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Hard Case Crime, Part 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hard Case Crime, Part 4

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I read one of the Crichton books and enjoyed it. I haven't read the other.

I was extremely disappointed in the King novel. I don't think it should have been in the HCC line at all.

Killing Castro didn't hook me and i ended up sitting it aside. One of these days i will go back and finish it.
I felt the same way about Killing Castro I was almost half thru and I put it down and have not returned.....it might of been a case of burn out since at that time I went on a binge and read 10 in a row.
Old 11-11-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drake
I felt the same way about Killing Castro I was almost half thru and I put it down and have not returned.....it might of been a case of burn out since at that time I went on a binge and read 10 in a row.
So far Honey in His Mouth has been similar enough to Killing Castro (in theme) and really interesting. I would recommend picking it up.
Old 11-19-09, 12:40 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
Well, a couple of you already have the jump on this, but it's appearing now in bookstores. Check it out!

For those that enjoyed Losers Live Longer, you should check out Atwood's first novel (he only has 2) called 'East of A', which also features PI Payton Sherwood.

The Losers Live Longer cover mentions it, but figured his earlier novel is worth the extra attention since Losers Live Longer received great reviews and I assume readers may be interested in checking out the earlier story.
Old 11-19-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up this and The Corpse Wore Pasties at Borders on my lunch hour, so be on the lookout...
Old 11-28-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished reading Honey in His Mouth it was OK,first 100 to 150 pages just kind of dragged and was very slow it took me a week just to get thru those pages.
BUT,the last 75 pages the paced picked up and I enjoyed it and finished reading these last pages in a couple hours.
These political reads are not my faves from the HCC series and I think I may
start Quarry In The Middle next......
Old 11-28-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're a trooper for reading 150 pages of a book you're not digging!
Old 11-28-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by djmont
You're a trooper for reading 150 pages of a book you're not digging!
Well it was worth finishing I liked the ending and like I said the last 75 plus pages the action really picked up.
I am a fan of The Hard Case series so I try to read every book,I would say most are pretty entertaining and very rarely hard to finish.
Old 12-04-09, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished Quarry In The Middle ..Excellent...this is what they should all be like a fun read from beginning to end!
Old 01-10-10, 11:06 PM

Not really anything new, but two great interviews with Charles Ardai from a couple blogs I frequent. One is several months old and the other from a few weeks back. Both go into great detail regarding the cover art, book selection, Gabriel Hunt and what's in store for the future of HCC:

http://killercoversoftheweek.blogspo...his-hands.html
http://www.pulpserenade.com/2009/12/...les-ardai.html
Old 01-11-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

That first interview, in particular, is fantastic. Thanks!
Old 01-12-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished Quarry In The Middle ..Excellent...this is what they should all be like a fun read from beginning to end!
Just finished this last night and agree. Great read the whole way.
Old 01-12-10, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Just finished this last night and agree. Great read the whole way.
I have not read the latest Quarry installment, but given the receptive feedback we should all be happy to hear that Quarry will be back in October with:

Old 01-12-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This may have been asked before in one of the earlier threads but Ill give it a shot. Any word on if HCC/Dorchester will reprint the Mike Hammer books? Id love to see the guy in this series with these wonderful covers. I know Id be all over that business.
Old 02-16-10, 08:44 AM

Friends,

In six weeks, we're going to publish Donald E. Westlake's unpublished novel, MEMORY.

Both Publishers Weekly and Booklist have given it starred reviews, calling it "a significant final work from a master" and "absolutely a must-read." The book hits stores at the end of March -- but if you're reading this message you have a chance to get a copy sooner than that. At the start of March we're going to be sending 12 free advance copies of the book to randomly selected people from our mailing list. Interested in throwing your hat into the ring? Well, we don't need your hat -- just send your name and the address to which you'd like the book mailed if you're chosen to [email protected] before 5PM (New York time) on February 28. It's as simple as that. All we ask is that if you're selected you help us tell the world about the book, either by posting a review on a site like Amazon.com or BN.com, or by wrting about it in your blog (if you have one), or in whatever other ways you can think of. Actually...we'd be grateful for anything you can do along these lines regardless of whether yours is one of the dozen names we wind up drawing. MEMORY is one of the most important books we've ever had the privilege to publish, and anything you can do to help spread the word about it is much appreciated.

Other news: We've added another forthcoming title to our Web site, QUARRY'S EX by Max Allan Collins -- you can see the cover art by Greg Manchess at www.HardCaseCrime.com. This will be our fourth novel about the enigmatic hitman and we're thrilled to bring him back.

On the "high adventure" side of the house, we're bringing two-fisted adventurer Gabriel Hunt back as well, for three more adventures, and the first of these -- HUNT BEYOND THE FROZEN FIRE, co-written by Christa Faust (author of the Edgar-nominated MONEY SHOT) -- will arrive in stores on the same day as MEMORY. In this one, Gabriel assembles a crack team to go down to Antarctica and bring back a scientist who's gone missing near the South Pole. Only what they find when they get there isn't nearly what they expect... For more info (and a glimpse at Glen Orbik's delicious cover painting), visit www.HuntForAdventure.com.

And as long as we're mixing genres, here's one more reading suggestion, and it's not even a book we published. When you're next in your favorite local bookstore, why not pick up a copy of WARRIORS, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois? It's a hefty collection featuring new novellas by 20 major authors, ranging from crime stories to epic fantasy to science fiction, all on the theme of warfare, broadly defined. The authors include Hard Case Crime's own Lawrence Block, as well as hardboiled masters Joe Lansdale and David Morrell. But my personal favorite author of the bunch is Naomi Novik, who is not only the New York Times-bestselling author of the TEMERAIRE series but also...my wife. The story she wrote for the book is a heart-stopping account of warfare on a distant planet, between a technologically advanced invading force and the desperate natives who use their connection to the biological world around them to fight back. If this premise sounds a wee bit familiar, I can only assure you that the story was written well over a year ago, before she (or I) had ever heard of AVATAR, never mind seen it. And having seen AVATAR since...I can also tell you that her story's better. (Yes, I'm biased.)

One last tidbit of news before I vanish for another month: We just bought our first title for 2011, and though I can't tell you the title yet, I can tell you this: it's by Christa Faust, it stars Angel Dare.

And if you don't know who Angel Dare is, all I can say is: Why haven't you read MONEY SHOT yet?

More soon,
Charles
Old 02-16-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by burnside986
This may have been asked before in one of the earlier threads but Ill give it a shot. Any word on if HCC/Dorchester will reprint the Mike Hammer books? Id love to see the guy in this series with these wonderful covers. I know Id be all over that business.
The first six books are still in print in two omnibuses, so they're unlikely, as are the most recent ones like The Goliath Bone. But maybe some of the ones from the '60s and '70s.
Old 02-22-10, 07:14 PM
Cool New Member

I haven't seen this posted yet, so I apologize if I'm repeating anyone, but I've seen a lot of these titles showing up in Big Lots stores recently for $2 a piece. So far, I've picked up the following titles in Louisville, KY-area BL stores for 2 bucks each:

Top of the Heap
Plunder of the Sun
Passport to Peril
A Touch of Death
Say it with Bullets
Somebody Owes Me Money
House Dick
Bust
Old 03-21-10, 05:38 PM

Update from Mr. Ardai:

Friends,

Donald Westlake's final novel, MEMORY, is finally here.

I've seen and held a copy; I've seen it available for delivery on Amazon.com and BarnesAndNoble.com (and the easier-to-type bn.com); and I've seen it on the shelves of one bookstore near me. Chances are it's at one near you, too.

You know where else I've seen it? In USA Today last week (where they unfortunately rendered the title as "Memoir," but were very kind to give it the write-up they did). And I'm told that Time magazine will be running a piece about it in their next issue. Time magazine! And to think that when Don originally wrote the book in the early 1960s his agent told him he wouldn't be able to sell it.

The book tells the story of a man who's been the victim of a brutal assault and has to deal with the consequences: a peculiar form of brain damage that prevents him from forming or holding onto memories. When he gets out of the hospital he goes looking for his old life -- but how can you find something when you can't even remember what it was? And what if you're hundreds of miles from home, with no money and no resources, and only the cards in your wallet to remind you where you need to go...

For a taste of the book, you can read the sample chapter on our Web site, www.HardCaseCrime.com. But you're going to want more than a taste of this one. It's our first new book in four months, it's one of the longest we've ever published, and it's really, really good. This is not one you'll want to miss.

And we've got another new book that you might enjoy checking out as well: the first new Gabriel Hunt adventure novel since last November's HUNT AT WORLD'S END. This one's called HUNT BEYOND THE FROZEN FIRE and it's co-authored by Christa Faust, Edgar Award-nominated author of MONEY SHOT. In it, Gabriel and his team of hardy adventurers travel to Antarctica in search of a scientist who vanished after a final radio transmission in which he claimed to have found something impossible. What did he find...? You wouldn't believe me if I told you. The book's in stores now -- why not pick up a copy and find out for yourself?

We've got plenty more good things coming, too -- the next Hard Case Crime book will be NOBODY'S ANGEL, a gorgeous, heartbreaking noir novel written by a Chicago cab driver named Jack Clark; and the next Gabriel Hunt book, HUNT AMONG THE KILLERS OF MEN, is co-written by David J. Schow (screenwriter of "The Crow" and other Hollywood pictures) and takes Gabriel to the dark underworld of Shanghai. But those are both a couple of months away (June and July, respectively). In the meantime, I very much hope you'll give Don's book a read, and Christa's, and let me know what you thought of them. They're as different as can be from one another, but I think they'd make a hell of a one-two punch.

Best,
Charles
Old 04-01-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

In stores now!

Old 04-01-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, I popped my Hard Case Crime cherry this past week. I'd admired the series' cover art for a long time and months ago I bought Money Shot at the dollar store, but set it aside. I finished the book I was currently reading on Thursday and decided to give this one a shot on Friday. By Saturday I had read about 150 pages, which is unheard of for me (unless I'm on vacation), and finished it last night. I really dug the fast pace and the grittiness.

The only thing I didn't like:
Spoiler:
I thought Malloy dropped out of the story too quickly - for the most part an "oh, he's dead now" - and, to me at least, it seemed out of character for him to make off with the briefcase.

But that wasn't enough for me to dismiss the rest of the story. I'm really looking forward to the next Angel Dare book, as mentioned in one of the above posts. This is the first "crime novel" I've read and may have found a new genre that I'll greatly enjoy.

My question now...what would be a good second (and third, etc.) HCC book for a newb like me?

Originally Posted by cordobes
I haven't seen this posted yet, so I apologize if I'm repeating anyone, but I've seen a lot of these titles showing up in Big Lots stores recently for $2 a piece. So far, I've picked up the following titles in Louisville, KY-area BL stores for 2 bucks each:

Top of the Heap
Plunder of the Sun
Passport to Peril
A Touch of Death
Say it with Bullets
Somebody Owes Me Money
House Dick
Bust
Awesome! Thanks. I'll check out my local Big Lots tomorrow.
Old 04-03-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I went to three Big Lots today and picked up:

Bust
A Touch of Death
Deadly Beloved

So I'll have some stuff to read on my trip to the beach next week.
Old 04-04-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In stores now!

Has anyone seen this one in the mail?.....I was on the mailing list last year and I was wondering if you have to sign back up or do they continue sending them?

I only ask because normally I get them before the book stores do.
Old 04-04-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone seen this one in the mail?.....I was on the mailing list last year and I was wondering if you have to sign back up or do they continue sending them?

I only ask because normally I get them before the book stores do.
Same here. I normally get the book the month before the official release.
Old 04-04-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, same here. I subscribe to get the books every month and have note seen this one.

They are really dropping the ball if this is actually transpiring.
Old 04-05-10, 10:08 AM

I sent email to Hard Case Crime about MEMORY not being shipped by the book club and got the following reply ---

Dear Milla,

Please accept my apologies for this delay. I have contacted Dorchester Publishing, the company that publishes our books and runs the Hard Case Crime Book Club, and they say that all their book club shipments this month were delayed for reasons beyond their control. They said, though, that they expect the books to go out this coming week; hopefully this will prove to be correct. If you do not receive the March title by the end of this coming week, please feel free to contact them directly at [email protected].

Best regards,
Charles
-------------
Charles Ardai
Editor, Hard Case Crime
Old 04-05-10, 10:26 AM

The guys over at The University of Chicago Press (who have been reissuing the Richard Stark 'Parker' novels) recently interviewed Charles Ardai about Westlake -- it's a good read:

http://pressblog.uchicago.edu/2010/0...riving_so.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.